Laser engraving on a 3D printer

Show off your projects and talk about them

Postby endurancerobots » 2015-Nov-Tue-10-Nov

Endurance shows that engraving is really easy if you use Endurance L-cheapo laser and WanHao 3D printer
Watch in youtube: 0MgTmTjI-ys
and this footage TNuJw7UH3z4

(can not post a full link)

Let us know if you have any questions about lasers

endurancerobots
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Laser engraving on a 3D printer

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Nov-Wed-13-Nov

Or, since this is a Printrbot forum, you can use a J Tech laser and your Printrbot.

Personally I'd buy a K40 CO2 laser off eBay for somewhat under $400 US and not bother with low power semiconductor lasers. Hey, wait, after a serious look at semi lasers I did. It'll take some fiddling (likely no more than adapting a semi laser to your PB. and as 3D printer owners were used to tinkering), and the supplied software is definitely low budget, the documentation seriously bad, but you'll get about 15x the power (the 40W laser is more like 35W, think 1960s car horsepower rating style), won't need to unbolt the extruder and bolt on the laser, and you can burn, baby, burn. I've engraved glass, wood, cardboard (think cheap practice material), silicone Kindle cases, and random (non-chlorine containing) practice stuff. I've also cut acrylic and other plastics, paper (about all the L-cheapo will cut), rubber gasket material (stinky), and as soon as I get the settings right should be able to cut 1/4" plywood (pretty good at the burn part right now :) ). As with your Printrbot keep the fire extinguisher handy and stay nearby while it's active.

Endurancerobots, it might be better to keep your advertising posts Printrbot related. I believe the L-cheapo has been used on various model Printrbots...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Re: Laser engraving on a 3D printer

Postby endurancerobots » 2015-Nov-Wed-14-Nov

Well it is always a choice. to use a new device or upgrade your current 3D printer...
It is always a good choice to buy Chinese not very reliable thing or to buy American and that was tested in Russia.
Buy something you can not fix or have tech support or buy L-Cheapo and get the best tech support service.

endurancerobots
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Showcase!