Yarn Ball Winder

Show off your projects and talk about them

Yarn Ball Winder

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Jul-Thu-06-Jul

My latest project is a Yarn Ball Winder. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:936813. It took me about 2 weeks to work out all the bugs. But I got it done finally.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Yarn Ball Winder

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Yarn Ball Winder

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Jul-Thu-11-Jul

Cool! Post some balled up yarn for us to admire.

Way back (b3dp, before 3d printers) we raised sheep for over 25 years. Mrs Moose is a hand spinner, plus we sent the better part of 100 lbs (40kg in metric land) of shetland wool off to a woolen mill and had it spun into yarn. I was the designated mooselake equipment operator (picker, drum carder, etc) and spent a lot of time with a hand cranked purchased winder turning skeins of yarn into balls. Can't say they were fond memories, but the spools (hard to call a cylinder a ball) of yarn looked pretty neat.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Chris Knowlton » 2016-Apr-Fri-21-Apr

Nice work bbrown.

I was looking all over a couple of years ago for nice yarn ball winder for my wife. I ended up purchasing one and they're pricey! I wish I was 3D printing back then.

Chris

Chris Knowlton
Levelling print bed...

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Apr-Sat-04-Apr

Yep that is my first 3D project. I did design the whole thing. The one I printed is setting on the TV Center/ Bookcase/ DVD rack. The only thing that really needs to change. There needs to be a oval slot cut into the end of the PVC. The notch needs to be deep enough so the long tag end of the yarn goes down into the tube. The notch allows the end of the yarn to be pulled around when turning the handle.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Return to Showcase!