My first try at a vapor bath (ABS)

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Fri-01-Dec

Hello all

Here is my first try at an acetone vapor bath for some ABS parts. I like cats, so I chose to do this little experiment with some small Makerbot cats.

I'm using Beauty Secrets Pure Acetone nail polish remover because I found a bottle at the drug store, which is what inspired this whole endeavor.

My method:

I took a pot of water and placed a glass jar in the center. I placed this on my electric range and boiled the water. Then I poured a small amount of acetone in the glass jar. While the acetone was heating up, I put a piece of thread around the cat's neck and suspended it from the hood of my stove, looped through a zip-tie that was attached with tape. This enabled me to pull out the parts quickly.

The string that was around the neck got stuck on the part and would not come off. So I had to rethink my method.

I took a fork, bent it so the tines were a nice platform for the cat, then I bent the handle into a hook shape and hung that from the string. I placed the cat on the tines and lowered it into the acetone.

Worked well! I did 6 cats and left 1 unfinished as a control. Some of the cats kept limes up the sides, but it was definitely smooth! Very cool!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: My first try at a vapor bath (ABS)

Postby eckerput » 2014-Dec-Mon-16-Dec

How long did you keep them in the vapor? I always seem to leave mine in too long and end up with a mushy part.

Printrbot LC (November 2012)
+ Bed Leveler, Bed Stabilizer, Y Belt Tensioner
Thingiverse Profile
eckerput
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Re: My first try at a vapor bath (ABS)

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Dec-Mon-18-Dec

I was quite impacient, so I kept lifting them in and out of the vapor, but I did find that leaving the item in until the vapor started condensing on the lip of the jar it was time to pull it out

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Return to Post processing