Microsoft getting into the 3d Printing game.. Netabb?

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Postby danman78 » 2014-Nov-Fri-11-Nov

Searched google for the best online STL fixer.. I had used netfabb but now there is a Microsoft site that is "Powered by Netfabb"?

https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/

danman78
Solid infill...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Microsoft getting into the 3d Printing game.. Netabb?

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Nov-Fri-13-Nov

Don't forget MeshMixer (free download). I've used it to repair files that Netfabb couldn't fix.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Nov-Fri-13-Nov

Sounds more like a marketing tie-in for Azureweb (there's been some reports that it's not as successful as planned), and a way to pick up a few bucks (well, probably marks) for a free service, rather than a new Microsoft endeavor. Kinda like those crappy toolbars (lifehacker likes this to block them; thinking about trying it) that come along with Java and other "free" downloads.

Don't forget Meshlab either. Besides mesh repair it will let you shrink the number of triangles and do some other cleanup. I've had mostly good results; while it usually works fine sometimes you'll end up with a pretty gonzoed file, so be careful to inspect the result before using it. That said, it's very good at taking stls that have been created with a way too small resolution (and massive file size), and shrinking them to something with a much more reasonable slice time and file size.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby orangefurball » 2014-Nov-Sat-05-Nov

Microsoft has always been pretty into the 3D printing world. Pretty early on they added support to Windows 8 for some printers. Also check out their Thingiverse page. They have some good trinkets and some Minecraft stuff. Perfect as stocking stuffers and small gifts for the coming holiday season.

2 CoreXY Machines 200x200x200/600mm
Cubify Cube3 & Makerbot Replicator Mini

Thingybot Delta Printer
150x150x200mm circular build volume, high precision open source 3D printer.

http://www.thingybot3d.com
orangefurball
Laser scintillater

Return to Post processing