Removing stringy bits...

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Removing stringy bits...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jul-Sat-11-Jul

Despite my best efforts, some of my recent vase projects had those annoying stringy, spider-webby things in the interior. The exterior surface was excellent, but the interior? Ugh.

Went to Home Depot and got one of those multi-purpose, long-beaked, multi-purpose lighters (used for fireplaces).

A quick blast of Mr. Flame and those stringy bits melted and clumped together at the interior surface, at which point they are easily scraped off. Not a perfect solution, but certainly good enough for my purposes. Works fine with PLA, don't know about ABS or other materials.

There may be some slight discoloration due to soot, which I imagine can be washed off with soap and water.

Still testing...please observe standard safety protocols.

DonaldJ
Support material...

Removing stringy bits...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Removing stringy bits...

Postby EddB » 2014-Jul-Sun-14-Jul

I use the reflow heat attachment from om my soldering station (glorified heat gun). Works incredibly well and don't have to worry about flame discoloring. Also useful for permanently seating captive nuts/bolts into your pla/abs parts.
If you don't have access to a heat-gun, you could always use a household hair dryer to eliminate the printing "webs" /stringy bits.
Like you, I have also grabbed my butane pencil torch if it needs just a couple seconds of touch-up heat! All methods work to remove those 'stringy' webs! :-)
Ed

Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jul-Sun-15-Jul

Hobby stores also have heat guns which produce a much hotter output air stream than hair dryers (albeit at a much lower flow rate). These might be easier to find than soldering tools, depending on what stores you have nearby.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jul-Sun-20-Jul

EddB wrote:I use the reflow heat attachment from om my soldering station (glorified heat gun).

Ack!

I *have* one of those! Didn't even think of it. Damn.

There's another three bucks down the drain...

Thanks for the reminder!

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby DonaldJ » 2014-Jul-Sun-20-Jul

RetireeJay wrote:Hobby stores also have heat guns which produce a much hotter output air stream than hair dryers (albeit at a much lower flow rate).

Got one of those, too...

There's two signs of getting old. One, is loss of memory. I forget what the other one is...

DonaldJ
Support material...

Postby jphphotography » 2015-Jan-Mon-12-Jan

For small parts I've been using a bic lighter :) I put the part on my counter, depress the gas for a bit without sparking, then ignite, there is a brief Whoof and the tiny strings are gone. Obviously don't do this for objects that may trap the gasses inside. I didn't experience any discolouration and since the flame is only there for an instant I don't see it causing a risk of warping anything. Anyway worth a try but be careful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Printrbot Simple Metal - Cold Bed (stock)
My designs http://www.thingiverse.com/jphphotography/designs
jphphotography
I'm an end stop.

Return to Post processing