Vapour treatment chamber

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Vapour treatment chamber

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Tue-23-Apr

I started doing the vapour treatment in a small jar. after a couple iterations i ended up with this set up. i wanted to avoid getting a lab hot plate since they are so expensive. this is all stuff sources from walmart. the hot plate is an $80 induction hot plate with temperature and power control and a timer. a lot of value in $80. the jar is also from walmart. i also have a larger one for multiple parts.

I wont get into all the R&D but the result is, from bottom to top: induction hot plate, 6cm x 6xm sheet of thick sheet steel, 20cm x 20xm piece of aluminum plate 3mm thick, silicone pot holder, annealed glass jar. in the jar is acetone, a piece of thick silicone tubing on the inner circumference to hold up a wood platform. i made stands out of brass, soldered with those black steel points. its all holding up well.

With the set up above the small steel sheet gets to over 300C but it power cycles keeping the temp at the bottom of the jar between 80-90C which is ideal for vapour treatment. this is on the 180C setting on the hot plate. so there are 2 ranges lower and 4 ranges higher if you want to adjust boiling temp.

The timer is also great when you get to know how long it generally takes, you can set an off timer. very nice.

and when not being used for this you can use the induction hot plate to cook on.

I will post the result when yoda is done. ive done some other things too and the results are pretty amazing. oh the small jar (shown) is $11 and the large jar is $20. so for $200 or so you have a nice vapour treatment setup, including the stuff the make the stands etc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Vapour treatment chamber

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Vapour treatment chamber

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Tue-23-Apr

Also, as an added bonus, with the induction kit I got at walmart, it also includes what looks like a decent quality casserole pot. however someone switched that out in my box for the top of a nice stainless steamer with a glass lid. that's fine with me because it fits a pot I have and I dont have a steamer. that's walmart for you. look in the box first. :)

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Dave A » 2013-Apr-Wed-01-Apr

Nice, I really got to try this myself when I've got the bot running ABS again. Got a bit of a problem with the feeding of filament.
By the way, Plexus, do you have a Dutch relation? Wouldn't be surprised since you are Canadian and I couldn't help to mention the Dutch grocery cupboard in the back with drawers for sugar (suiker),eggs(eieren) and herbs (kruiden) ;-)

Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.
Morihei Ueshiba
Dave A
Loading filament...

Postby DesignMakeTeach » 2013-Apr-Thu-12-Apr

Or you can put a pickle jar on your heated bed and hope for the best.

Bringing 3D printing into the classroom.
Blog: designmaketeach.com
Twitter: @designmaketeach
DesignMakeTeach
I'm an end stop.

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Thu-14-Apr

DesignMakeTeach wrote:Or you can put a pickle jar on your heated bed and hope for the best.

That is exactly how i started this whole thing. i first used a small mason jar on the hot bed. then i moved to a larger cookie jar. but... what happened when you home your printrbot from a remote computer over screen sharing and you have a large glass cookie jar on the hot bed you forgot about? you got it. no more cookie jar. :oops:

this is why i moved to a hot plate solution. at first i was looking at surplus lab hot plates. pieces of junk of ebay that the sellers thought were still worth $200. a regular heating element type hot plate was going to be too hot, even on low. so i decided to try this induction hot plate. it works great! cheap too. :D

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Apr-Thu-14-Apr

Great idea, plus it'll make a good popcorn popper - and your snacks won't have any acetone contamination like the fryer. A multitasker!

Hope you use it outside or at least with good ventilation. Don't want to hear about any unintentional big booms in Canada.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Thu-22-Apr

Here are some results. 300µm layer yoda soaking in hot vapour for an hour. these are nice quality pics that you can click on to see them larger.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Postby chickenbisket » 2013-Apr-Fri-03-Apr

They came out really well it looks much better than a normal .3 layer yoda. Have you tried experimenting with the process? I've heard you can keep more of the fine details in the model if you do multiple shorter sessions over one long session.

chickenbisket
I'm an end stop.

Postby discuc » 2013-Apr-Fri-05-Apr

That looks great, will need to look a similar set up once my printer is up and running

discuc
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Fri-12-Apr

Dave A wrote:Nice, I really got to try this myself when I've got the bot running ABS again. Got a bit of a problem with the feeding of filament.
By the way, Plexus, do you have a Dutch relation? Wouldn't be surprised since you are Canadian and I couldn't help to mention the Dutch grocery cupboard in the back with drawers for sugar (suiker),eggs(eieren) and herbs (kruiden) ;-)

ik ben niet uit Nederland :) but i go there from time to time to visit friends. i got the kruidenrek from an antique shop in amsterdam.

plexus
Site Admin

Return to Post processing