Wood screws in plastic

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Wood screws in plastic

Postby wd5gnr » 2012-Dec-Thu-23-Dec

http://www.iheartrobotics.com/2010/01/f ... -well.html

Interesting link and part 2 was about special plastic screws. Might try this instead of nut traps.

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Wood screws in plastic

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wood screws in plastic

Postby Dick Brewster » 2012-Dec-Fri-01-Dec

Sheet metal screws have sharper threads (thinner profile) I would expect them to provide more grip with less disruption of the plastic as the thread cuts into the plastic. Deck screws (like drywall screws but made of less brittle steel) should work better than normal wood screws in plastic for the same reason.

I don't even bother with wood screws for normal wood work anymore. Drywall screws if strength isn't an issue and deck screws if it is.

Edit: I just noticed part 2 of that article, the special self tapping screws for plastic look good, they look a lot like some self tapping screws for metal. Much more like that than they look like wood screws.

Backer #30 Lincoln California, Home of the Printrbot
Dick Brewster
Layer 100 of 1234

Re: Wood screws in plastic

Postby stevelindsay » 2014-Jan-Thu-02-Jan

Steel is one of the best self-tapping screws which are most commonly used for the purpose of fastening a huge range of softer materials together. There are various other products which works on the same principle and the results are just mind-blowing. This is one of the most commonly used techniques in the field of carpentry. There are a number of methods like this that are used, which are very good and crucial for the work to be done in the best manner.

stevelindsay
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Post processing