Sand Blasting

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Sand Blasting

Postby 69911e » 2012-Nov-Mon-09-Nov

I want to see if a textured finish can be made for the printed parts, like parts made in injection molds.
Has anyone tried sand/bead blasting the parts?
How about tumbling?

69911e
I'm an end stop.

Sand Blasting

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Sand Blasting

Postby Bats1939 » 2013-Jul-Thu-19-Jul

Shapeways says they use a giant rock tumbler on their nylon prints to soften the edges. I'm not sure it's something I want to mess with, but it looks like it does an okay job. Not as nice as the ABS smoothing with the acetone, sadly.

Bats1939
Loading filament...

Postby Bats1939 » 2013-Jul-Sun-13-Jul

If you go to Legacy Effects site on Youtube or look up, "PACIFIC RIM Behind The Scenes: The Pilot Suits - Legacy Effects " specifically, you can see that they 3d printed the Pilot suits for Pacific Rim. It shows a brief look at them cleaning the suits, and it does look like they're using a sand blaster. I can't tell what kind of material they're printing it in, however.

*edit* I guess the Shapeways one is using nylon, not PLA... I did some searches today, and most people say that the tumbler has some effect on the PLA, but not enough to really be satisfying.

Bats1939
Loading filament...

Postby hugerobots » 2013-Sep-Mon-13-Sep

I've tried sand and bead blasting ABS and PLA parts, but neither gave me a great result. Even with the industrial sand blaster booth I used. Even cranking the air pressure to get even a slight smoothing effect after focusing on one section for a few minutes seemed like too much trouble.

Mind you I could have maybe used a different coarseness of sand, but after the initial tests it just didn't seem worth it.

hugerobots
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby steadblast » 2013-Nov-Tue-06-Nov

Sand blasting are widely used in various industries for their speed and precision in smoothing, cleaning, or removing surface finishes. Both consist of blasting a surface with "media" to remove paint, dirt, or other undesirable surface contaminants.

steadblast
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby ThereWillBprints2 » 2015-Apr-Tue-03-Apr

Sandblasting would rip through any thin prints.

However, I once saw a finishing video on youtube where someone put finishing stones in with their print and finished it off with some pretty good results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4mYV81b7pg

ThereWillBprints2
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Post processing