Scrap parts

Discussing what we do with our prints after we make them (clean up, integration, etc)

Scrap parts

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Aug-Sun-11-Aug

I'm building up a pretty big pile of scrap parts and small pieces of filament.
Does anyone know of any reason to keep them or should I just throw them in the trash or recycle bin?

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

Montgomery, IL. USA
mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Scrap parts

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Scrap parts

Postby Dick Brewster » 2012-Aug-Sun-12-Aug

There is no reason to keep them unless you plan to start recycling the plastic yourself such as making your own filament.

AFAIK, most recyclers only use plastic that is easily identifiable as to what type of plastic it is i.e has an identifying mark on it. You will need to contact your local recycler to find out how they do it.
Most recyclers will just send mystery plastic to the landfill. If it's going to the landfill eventually, you will be doing the recycler a favor by not sending it to them

Backer #30 Lincoln California, Home of the Printrbot
Dick Brewster
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Aug-Sun-12-Aug

That's pretty much what figured too. Thanks.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

Montgomery, IL. USA
mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Postby mdfast1 » 2012-Aug-Sun-12-Aug

Dick Brewster wrote:There is no reason to keep them unless you plan to start recycling the plastic yourself such as making your own filament.

AFAIK, most recyclers only use plastic that is easily identifiable as to what type of plastic it is i.e has an identifying mark on it. You will need to contact your local recycler to find out how they do it.
Most recyclers will just send mystery plastic to the landfill. If it's going to the landfill eventually, you will be doing the recycler a favor by not sending it to them

Yup, they are working on a filament reclaimer. http://filabot.com/. As of now I'm tossing my scraps.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby scantrontb » 2012-Aug-Tue-23-Aug

granted, it won't take ALL of your scrap bits, but if you're using ABS, you can make ABS Goop from it. if you're using PLA, sorry.

Don't planto mihi adveho illac
PB+ #786
scantrontb
Can update firmware

Postby plexus » 2012-Aug-Wed-00-Aug

Recycle whenever where ever you can. :)

plexus
Site Admin

Postby knobunc » 2012-Aug-Wed-07-Aug

Heh. We should start printing the right recycling symbol into the things we print ;-)

Or get a bunch of stickers with it on it that we can put on scrap...

Backer 216, Nov. 27, 2011. (PB+)
knobunc
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby FalconFour » 2012-Aug-Fri-17-Aug

I've been saving my scrap in hopes I can find a good RepRap cause to contribute it to. When someone comes up with a recycling method (I CANNOT picture this being a difficult endeavor, if we can extrude this plastic so perfectly, how couldn't we melt it back into the original spool shape again?), I hope to be able to send it there and put it back to use. I don't even care if I use it myself, I just cannot bring myself to throw this stuff in the trash... such an unbelievable waste (and a $70 1kg spool... f*&k you, Makerbot and your obscenely overpriced domestic shipping!). There has to be a better way. Until I stumble upon where to send it or how to use it, I'll just get an ever larger box ;)

FalconFour
I'm an end stop.

Postby B4Me » 2012-Aug-Tue-06-Aug

FalconFour wrote:I've been saving my scrap in hopes I can find a good RepRap cause to contribute it to. When someone comes up with a recycling method (I CANNOT picture this being a difficult endeavor, if we can extrude this plastic so perfectly, how couldn't we melt it back into the original spool shape again?), I hope to be able to send it there and put it back to use. I don't even care if I use it myself, I just cannot bring myself to throw this stuff in the trash... such an unbelievable waste (and a $70 1kg spool... f*&k you, Makerbot and your obscenely overpriced domestic shipping!). There has to be a better way. Until I stumble upon where to send it or how to use it, I'll just get an ever larger box ;)

recheck for better sources.. buying from NL for about 24$ incl shipping per kg filament

B4Me
Waiting for extruder temp...

Return to Post processing