[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - What is the correct scale to use in Blender?

What is the correct scale to use in Blender?

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby inertianinja » 2015-Feb-Fri-23-Feb

I'm getting started with Blender for modeling. I changed the units to Metric, and the scale to .001, which seemed to make sense. I'm trying to make some parts that have specific dimensions.

I threw together a simple model, defining its dimensions in millimeters.

When I go to this scale, however, the world grid almost disappears, and the zoom increments become too large.
Also, when I went to load the STL in a slicer, the units were all off.

So, what should I be doing with Blender's world scale to create models with specific dimensions?

inertianinja
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: What is the correct scale to use in Blender?

Postby davec » 2015-Feb-Sat-00-Feb

Here are the settings I used. Have done a few things and I'm satisfied.:

Default Startup Settings
3rd picture on right - Display and Edit Select Meteric Scale .001

N -> adds Tool Panel on Right
Display Check Grid Floor Lines: 10 Scale: 1.000 Subdivisions: 10

Ctrl Alt U -> User Preferences Interface -> uncheck "Show Splash"
Themes -> User Interface -> Axis Colors
-> 3D View -> Grid ->1 - 1 -1

Ctrl U -> Save as Default

Hope this helps

davec
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby inertianinja » 2015-Feb-Sat-12-Feb

I don't think that solved the issue i'm having.

see attached pic:
blender.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
inertianinja
Levelling print bed...

Postby davec » 2015-Feb-Sat-21-Feb

Press using the num pad - 7 = top view
5 = ortho view
Ctrl + a = set Scale to 1
then zoom in till object fits the screen.

davec

Postby davec » 2015-Feb-Sun-01-Feb

Did you notice on your screen in the "N" panel the scale is x=50, y=190 and z=3 ?
If you have the cusor on the object and press "ctrl + a" it will let you set the scale to 1.
Any time you make a change to the object check to see if the scale changed.

davec

Return to CAD & design