[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - CPUs are best for autocad

CPUs are best for autocad

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby paislexy » 2014-Nov-Wed-02-Nov

What CPUs are best for autocad? I'm building a computer for the first time, and I'm having a difficult time picking a CPU. I need one that can handle autocad, and would like to be able to expand it into light gaming later. I'm also on a budget, does anyone have any suggestions on what processors will best fit my needs without breaking the bank?

Last edited by paislexy on 2014-Nov-Mon-00-Nov, edited 1 time in total.
paislexy
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CPUs are best for autocad

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Nov-Wed-10-Nov

For what it's worth, here's what I'm running:
Computer Info.PNG

I don't know if this is an "economy" box or not. I hired a nephew to build the computer for me, and the total cost was higher than a generic black box from a major retailer - but I've been extremely happy with the result. I can be simultaneously running a print on the Printrbot, printing a 2D ink print on the Epson, have four or five CAD design windows open in Geomagic, and still have plenty of horsepower to keep a web browser and an e-mail program running. No matter what you get for a CPU, be sure you install plenty of memory. That's key. Also, for running CAD, you need a reasonably good graphics card.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby mechanizedmedic » 2014-Nov-Wed-10-Nov

I've got an AMD 6-core with 12GB of memory and a Nvidia GT640. Things were really sluggish back when I only had 4GB of memory. My video card isn't great but I did notice a difference when I upgraded from a GT430 to GT640... For most CAD tasks a middle of the road quad-core (i5) with +8GB memory and an $80 video card should work well. If you're going to be using modeling software (Blender) the graphics card will take a beating when performing the actual "rendering", so that's something to consider.

"Metal shavings are my glitter"
blog.mechanizedmedic.org
mechanizedmedic
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby evanalmighty » 2014-Nov-Wed-12-Nov

The GPU is as important as the CPU. With that said go with at least a core i5 or whatever the AMD equivalent is. My CAD laptop is a core i7 with 16Gb of ram and it can handle CATIA with no lag. My Solidworks computer runs on a core i5 with 8Gb of RAM and it will start to slow if I have too many things open.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby killbox » 2014-Nov-Wed-18-Nov

lets break this down. you need a CAD computer, that means maximum cores. the more the better since CAD programs take advantage of multi-threading. also put up the little bit more and buy the one with the largest cache memory but watch out, if you want to reuse your existing motherboard you have to get one with the same socket type as your current CPU. gaming on the other hand is mostly single core activity with most of the heavy lifting being done by the GPU. GPU will help a little when it comes to rendering by way of powering the monitor if your going with the future of all displays at 4K or 5K instead of 1080p. RAM is a little different, it can help but you have to A)have the space beside the CPU with a cooler on B)have the enough slots C)have a CPU you that take advantage of a boost in memory. stick with DDR3 memory if your going to upgrade nothing really takes advantage of the overpriced DDR4 stuff yet.

CAD computer are built to be a CAD computer. a gaming computer can be built with a GPU upgrade.

if you want to run a game balls out you need something like a R9 or a GTX 770 or better.

but if you have most of that and you think your computer should run faster try overclocking but for the love of god COOL IT. rads do this well or at lest stick all the fans on it you possibly can

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Nov-Wed-19-Nov

The OP is in India, so he'll likely have a more limited set of available processors, and a much tighter budget than most of us.

Also he's posted this exact same message in multiple other forums (just google the message text in double quotes), and it's a stretch to think this is a good place to be asking Autocad questions. Odds are fairly good it's a forum spammer, although I hope I'm wrong.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to CAD & design