[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Modeling 3/8-16 ACME thread

Modeling 3/8-16 ACME thread

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Wed-20-Jul

Anyone know a good way to model 3/8-16 ACME thread? I currently only use OpenSCAD but I hear it's not good for threads and such. What do you guys think?

Looking to build this flange to test out before I spend 30 bucks a piece on brass ones.

Or if anyone wants to make an stl of a 25mm long threaded rod so I can difference it from my drawing of this that would be great!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Defy
Printing skirt...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Modeling 3/8-16 ACME thread

Postby marmil » 2014-Jul-Wed-21-Jul

If you have Sketchup installed you might check to see what's available in the vast community library. Export as stl to bring into OpenSCAD.

+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Wed-22-Jul

Thanks, never messed with sketchup I'll have to look. I have been holding out till I can get a good deal on solidworks so I really only have played with OpenSCAD and it's been fine so far this is the first project I haven't been able to do in OpenSCAD.

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jul-Wed-23-Jul

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Wed-23-Jul

I saw that but the Acme threads are different.

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby evanalmighty » 2014-Jul-Thu-01-Jul

Have you checked to see if McMaster Carr has that flange in solidworks format? They have 3D cad files for most of their products. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can draw one up with Solidworks this weekend.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Jul-Thu-08-Jul

There's several openSCAD thread libraries. Google is your friend.

At least one talks about multi-start so ACME and/or trapezoidal should be included.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Jul-Thu-11-Jul

I stumbled across a that includes acmes.

Kirk

Last edited by Mooselake on 2014-Jul-Thu-11-Jul, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moose can't type very well
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby spitfirehauser » 2014-Jul-Thu-13-Jul

what you are trying to model looks like this thingiverse object i use the 50mm and it works great at giving me extra Z height without backlash

Steve Hauser
Modified Simple 2014 kit
spitfirehauser
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Thu-19-Jul

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Thu-20-Jul

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby EddB » 2014-Jul-Fri-13-Jul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Complete printable 1405 Simple https://www.youmagine.com/designs/compl ... s-edition/ or thing:425164

True Wireless Slicing and Printer Cloud+Web Server w/ AstroPrint PcDuino v2

Printrbot Simple 1405 with XL bed and
Printrbot Simple 1311 Printing ABS andPLA on kapton/borosilicate glass
Printrbot XL volume / tower upgrade GT2 X Timing Belts (thing:194686) GT2 Y Timing Belt Mod (thing:194586)
Custom 320 x 230mm aluminum bed frame w/ 3 x 8mm rods
430 watt ATX power upgrade for 8.5" heat bed via SSR
EddB
ACME leadscrew

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Fri-17-Jul

I bought that set for 20 but the set I got is 3/8 -12. I bought the 3/8-16 because I figure more threads per inch more precision, but as i read more and more it's not nessary. Either way I got 3 3' sections of 3/8-16 so I am using it!

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Jul-Fri-18-Jul

At 16x microstepping the precision is way, way more than you could ever use. For example, 16 (microsteps/step) x 200 (steps/rev) * 12 (rev/inch) is 38,400 steps per inch (1512/mm). That works out to 26 millionths of an inch per step (or 660 millionths of a mm). Way beyond practicality or possible printing, when you're lucky to get .05mm layers. Besides you'd grow older than me waiting for a .001mm layer print to finish. For a Z axis it makes more sense to go the other way, and decrease the microstepping ratio.

Plus it's not really that precise. The tolerances on the screw are way less than that.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Fri-19-Jul

Yeah i found that out after i bought them. I will have to figure out what numbers to put into the firmware too.

Defy
Printing skirt...

Postby Mooselake » 2014-Jul-Sat-12-Jul

it's 16 threads per inch, 16x microstepping, and 200 steps/revolution motors. So one inch is 16 revolutions, one revolution is 16x200, or 3200 steps. That gives you 51,200 steps per inch of Z travel. Since the 3D printer world has adopted the french system of measurement, and there's 25.4 of those guys per inch, it gives you 2015.75 steps per mm, to more decimal places than you need. Assuming my hoof hit the right calculator keys, of course, so double check it.

While it's popular to print and measure for calibration, the calculated values are much more accurate.

Good Luck! I'd like to see how this works out for you, and what difference it makes.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Defy » 2014-Jul-Sat-13-Jul

Sweet thanks i am not there yet. Still trying to get some alu cut for my x axis, and expanding one of my printers to be able to print 9 inches. I have the bed for it but it only prints 8 because of the bearings.

Defy
Printing skirt...

Return to CAD & design