[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - I need some modeling help BAD!! [organic model and boolean]

I need some modeling help BAD!! [organic model and boolean]

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby Zalman » 2014-May-Thu-17-May

Alright so a headshop asked me to make a carrot pipe for him. Printed to look like a carrot with some green leaf at the end and a mouth piece and a hole to put a glass piece or bowl to smoke from. The problem is I don't know any good programs to make the design. I tried sculptress but making the actual holes and whatnot is near impossible. And when I netfab Repair the model to see how it looks it gets all torn up or completely useless!

Last edited by marmil on 2014-May-Fri-01-May, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited - added a few discriptive words to help when searching forum posts.
Zalman
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: I need some modeling help BAD!!

Postby marmil » 2014-May-Fri-01-May

Here's a possible solution you might be able to use to make a nice hole/tube in your model. Download/install Autodesk's Meshmixer if you don't have it.

In Pixologic's Sculptris
- First off, when you finish sculpting your object, turn on wire frame (W key) so you can see what your mesh looks like. If it's crazy dense (and it probably will be after any amount of sculpting) you really should reduce and simplify it before exporting. You can see how many triangles are in the model down in the lower left. Slicer will have trouble with models with tons of triangles. Should should be able to reduce the number of triangles a lot and still have enough detail/shape in your model for 3d printing.
- Save now so you can go always go back to your high density model if you need to.
- Use the Reduce Selected button and the Reduce brush to simplify your mesh. You will probably need to click on Reduce Selected multiple times before you start seeing the number of triangles cut down to something that isn't a super dense mesh.
- Export your mesh (OBJ file) from Sculptris.

In Autodesk's Meshmixer
- Import the OBJ that you exported from Sculptris.
- Toggle wire frame on (W key or from View pull down) so you can see how dense your mesh is and if it looks correct.
- Choose Edit on left side and pick "Make Solid". This will bring up a box with some options. You can keep adjusting the settings and clicking Update to see what various tweaks do. Also, you can further adjust the mesh density here as needed.
-Click Accept, and you will notice you now have a new Object Browser window down in the lower right. Listed there should be your original OBJ and the new solid you just created. You can select and delete the original in this window and just leave the new solid object.

Bring in a second object:
- Click the Import button to bring in a second model (in your case a modeled/shaped tube) that you would like to use to hollow out your object. Select "Append" so it will add it in as a new object to your current document.
- With this second model selected, repeat the steps above to make a solid.

You should now have two solid objects listed in the Object Browser window.

Time to boolean them:
- NOTE: Order of object section matters here.
- You need to use the solids you created, not the OBJ or STL files you imported.
- Pick the Edit option in the left side panel (if it's not still selected).
- In the Object Browser window, first select the solid object that you want to keep. This is the object that will end up with a hole through it.
- Next select the solid that will be used to cut out the hole.
- Once you select the second solid you should see new options in the Edit window (upper left).
- Choose Boolean Difference, and there should now see a hole carved out of your first solid.
- If it looks like the boolean worked, choose Accept.
- In the lower right Object Browser you should see that your two solid objects have now been combined (booleaned) into a new single solid. (It will still have the same name as the original though).
- With this solid selected, pick Export (from bottom of left panel) and save as a STL (ASCII format).

Import into Slicer and see if it works!

I hope I didn't leave any steps out here and made it clear enough. Give a shout if a step seem to be missing or something could be more clear.

Probably the most tricky part of your project will be getting the sizes, rotations, and alignment in 3d space correct for your two objects for the boolean operation. Once you get that though you should be able to cut out a nice hole and export a good STL file.

Here's a random Sculptris object booleaned with a hex shaped tube.
hex_hole_boolean.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Re: I need some modeling help BAD!! [organic model and boole

Postby Zalman » 2014-May-Fri-04-May

rotating shit in autodesk is way too much., it has to be easier to sit it in the object. never mind, Found out the easier way. as for the boolean. When it is placed in the carrot the pipe (it has a thickness, a problem?) and I boolean with either 3 options, no correct hole is made. The pipe is sticking through both ends fine without appearing anywhere else.

Zalman
Levelling print bed...

Postby marmil » 2014-May-Fri-21-May

Sounds like you're making progress Zalman.
What didn't work, and what did work?

Love to see a screen shot or photo when you have a chance.

+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby Zalman » 2014-May-Mon-01-May

Hey sorry for the late reply. Looks like Im going to print out some GT2 Y mods for the GT2 set I got. Though the strings make me want to toss the whole thing out the window, the mod looks good enough to use. and the parts are fitting the m3 hardware. But I printed out two copies of the carrot pipe. I will post them soon!

Zalman
Levelling print bed...

Return to CAD & design