[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Support material bonding to object

Support material bonding to object

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby hugerobots » 2014-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

For me this problem has only started with the latest version of Slic3r.

Has anyone else noticed that support materials are using a full perimeter that surrounds the supports now? I find that I now have to decrease my support material extrusion setting to 70% in order to decrease the threshold it has to bond to the actual model. Any higher and it bonds fully, resulting in it being totally fused with the model.

In previous versions the support material wouldn't have a perimeter at all, leaving the scaffolding bare and easier to remove.

Is there a setting for to remove the support perimeter or is it permanently in there now?

hugerobots
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Support material bonding to object

Postby REPRAP SQUAD » 2014-Feb-Mon-13-Feb

I've noticed the same with the new version of slic3r.

Twitter: @REPRAPSQUAD
Check it out: Build logs, 3D printer news and all things Printrbot--http://reprapsquad.wordpress.com
PC Case Mods 3D printed:

RepRap Squad's The 1st Simple (XL)
* Custom built that towers over the LC

Printrbot Plus V2 W/
*Dual extruder PB Version (2-Ubis 1.75mm hotends)
*Heavily Modded and all axis extended
REPRAP SQUAD
Metal hotbed butt

Postby killbox » 2014-Mar-Sun-10-Mar

I too have noticed this, and i can't figure out how to stop it.

Redesigned JonBot printed in XT and reinforced with MDF over structure
Ramps 1.4
LCD
E3D V6
8x8 Hotbed
smoothieboard
*Coming soon* Rocking duel exturders
killbox
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby shaddii » 2014-Apr-Tue-14-Apr

Did anyone ever find out how to turn the support perimeter off? the perimeter generated around the support is really messing things up.

2014 Printrbot Simple
XL volume / tower upgrade
Aluminum Direct Drive
shaddii
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2014-Apr-Tue-15-Apr

Slic3r 1.1 (beta) is out and has a "pillar" support option which is supposed to be easier to remove than the old style. I haven't tried it yet but it might be worth a shot.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby disback » 2014-May-Wed-16-May

Just tried the pillar support and I'm getting wonky results (yes I know this is an experimental version!). I've been avoiding using supports in all my prints for the last 3 months ever since they added the whole "perimeter around the support material" feature. Is there anyone on this forum who can get our feedback to the Slic3r team about this? I want the old algorithm for support material back. I tried rolling back to an older version, but I'm scared by all the error messages that are popping up because the config files are confusing the software since alot of the new features didn't exist. :oops:

Los Angeles, CA

System Details: Printrbot LC V1.0
*GT2 Pulleys/Polychain
*Glass print bed
*ACME Threaded Z-axis
*Other shenanigans
disback

Postby PxT » 2014-May-Wed-17-May

You can easily give your feedback to the Slic3r team directly. See https://github.com/alexrj/Slic3r/blob/m ... IBUTING.md

PxT
Print complete...

Postby opiesche » 2014-Jul-Sun-09-Jul

Just for those who are still having trouble with Slic3r's support fusing to the object: you can turn the support perimeter off by doing the following:

-open Slic3r/lib/Slic3r/Print/SupportMaterial.pm in a text editor
-find the generate_toolpaths subroutine, and in it, the following section:

# base flange
if ($layer_id == 0) {
$filler = $fillers{interface};
$filler->angle($self->config->support_material_angle + 90);
$density = 0.5;
$flow_spacing = $object->print->first_layer_support_material_flow->spacing;
} else {
# draw a perimeter all around support infill
# TODO: use brim ordering algorithm
push @paths, map Slic3r::ExtrusionPath->new(
polyline => $_->split_at_first_point,
role => EXTR_ROLE_SUPPORTMATERIAL,
height => undef,
flow_spacing => $flow->spacing,
), map @$_, @$to_infill;

# TODO: use offset2_ex()
$to_infill = offset_ex([ map @$_, @$to_infill ], -$flow->scaled_spacing);
}

Then comment out the support perimeter generation like this:

# base flange
if ($layer_id == 0) {
$filler = $fillers{interface};
$filler->angle($self->config->support_material_angle + 90);
$density = 0.5;
$flow_spacing = $object->print->first_layer_support_material_flow->spacing;
}
#else {
# draw a perimeter all around support infill
# TODO: use brim ordering algorithm
#push @paths, map Slic3r::ExtrusionPath->new(
# polyline => $_->split_at_first_point,
# role => EXTR_ROLE_SUPPORTMATERIAL,
# height => undef,
# flow_spacing => $flow->spacing,
#), map @$_, @$to_infill;

# TODO: use offset2_ex()
#$to_infill = offset_ex([ map @$_, @$to_infill ], -$flow->scaled_spacing);
#}

Save the file. Reslice. This should bring the support material back to the 'old style' without perimeters.

opiesche
Levelling print bed...

Postby hugerobots » 2014-Jul-Sun-12-Jul

Brilliant!

I've been using the Pillars support constructs since they were available and the only difference in prints for me was that the Perimeter around Pillars supports was less close to the object's walls. With your mod this should work swimmingly with all supports again. Well done!

Now if I can only find the corresponding file in the Mac version...

hugerobots

Postby alexhb » 2015-Feb-Tue-11-Feb

I hate to bump a dusty old thread, but this would've helped me out a ton:

Slic3r support material just plain sticks to the print for me, no matter what I try, including all the above help. What finally fixed my problem was using CuraEngine instead, which allows hard X/Y and Z offsets for generating supports.

Happy Printing!

alexhb
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to CAD & design