[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Will this print?

Will this print?

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Will this print?

Postby pantseatflyer » 2014-Jan-Sun-12-Jan

Quick question.

I have designed something similar to the below. The cylinder is not hollow. It contains a magnet from the back side.

Can this be oriented without a supporting structure?

Sorry for the noob question but I am new to 3d printing and am just learning the ropes.

image.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pantseatflyer
I'm an end stop.

Will this print?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Will this print?

Postby wd5gnr » 2014-Jan-Sun-12-Jan

You are saying that the round bubble is open to the back. This does what is called a bridge. So it won't have any trouble printing until that top layer. Then the slicer will tell the print head to go very fast across that open top. There will be some sag in the middle. If you have enough layers it will eventually even out as each layer is a "backing" for the layer above it. But the inside will be slightly concave (or greatly concave if it doesn't work well). The key is go as fast as you can over the bridge (slicer setting) and fan cooling/running as low a temp as you can may help. You might also try extra perimeters to get more build up there.

The other thing to do is to flip it upside down. That will require support to print the plate, but depending on the plastic you use it might be easier to remove that support and other than cosmetics, the support "bumps" there are likely not to interfere with the part's function.

I'd try it both ways and see how it comes out.

Al Williams
Twitter: @awce_com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/Understanding3dPrinting
wd5gnr
Support material...

Postby pantseatflyer » 2014-Jan-Sun-15-Jan

Thanks! I'll try the first option initially. I can allow for a bit of error within the interior and a bit of sag will not be a big deal. I will tweak the Bridge Speed in Slic3r..

Not trying to put the cart before the horse, but am learning all I can about design and practicing PRIOR to shipment of my new Printrbot Simple that I ordered last week.

pantseatflyer
I'm an end stop.

Postby marmil » 2014-Jan-Tue-00-Jan

I think printing in the same orientation as your photo will be best. Making the top a bit thicker (if the design dimensions and magnetic strength allows for it) will give a few extra layers for things to get smoothed back out if the bridging is a little messy at the start.
If you don't mind doing a small amount of post cleanup you could also put a 3 or 4 little support pillars underside that top surface. They should be easy to twist out with needle nose pliers or a quick hit with a dremel bit.
Let us know how it comes out.

+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby ivymike1031 » 2014-Jan-Tue-11-Jan

another option is to pause the print before the top layer, manually insert the magnet, and finish the print. You could have the magnet fully enclosed by that method if you chose to.

remember to move the print head away from the part right after you pause ... don't want to melt the part.

ivymike1031
Layer 100 of 1234

Postby eckerput » 2014-Jan-Tue-12-Jan

Printrbot LC (November 2012)
+ Bed Leveler, Bed Stabilizer, Y Belt Tensioner
eckerput
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby andy » 2014-Sep-Sun-04-Sep

I would also consider printing the plate and hollow cylinder separetely (with the cylinder's top as its base, so print upside down basically) then glue the two together. If you want the piece to look as one with no seams then some primer and paint would do wonders.

andy
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to CAD & design