[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - 3D scanner for $200-500 - Moedls

3D scanner for $200-500 - Moedls

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Sat-15-Apr

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plexus
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 3D scanner for $200-500 - Moedls

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Apr-Sat-15-Apr

I'm also backing this, but it's not doing well against its funding goal.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Sat-15-Apr

plexus
Site Admin

Postby discuc » 2013-Apr-Sun-13-Apr

I think I need may need to back this too.

discuc
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby jameswood » 2013-Apr-Mon-07-Apr

I was really excited when I heard about Moedls. The app is $20, which seems very reasonable (assuming it's stable and reliable). What I don't understand is why they want $300... for a rotating platform and two lasers. That's not far off Printrbot Jr. money. For a rotating platform and two lasers. I don't get it. I think that's why they're struggling to attract backers.

If the kit was $100 I'd have snapped it up!

jameswood
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Mon-15-Apr

plexus
Site Admin

Postby jameswood » 2013-Apr-Mon-16-Apr

PB+
thingiverse: jameswood
jameswood
Loading filament...

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Both projects look good - Photon probably has a better shot at becoming real. Photon is more limited in model size than Moedls, and is also more expensive, though it also includes the camera which Moedls doesn't.

I wonder on both of these how well they model the top of an object. The example bust from Moedls is missing the top of the head, which is just flat. The Photon gallery shows a smaller object being scanned at the top - not sure how this works.

I do see that the retail Photon price is the same as the Batch #2 price, so I'm going to wait to see how Moedls pans out.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Mon-20-Apr

I'm preparing a long-ish diatribe about 3D scan quality. do you want me to post it?

plexus
Site Admin

Postby jameswood » 2013-Apr-Tue-00-Apr

PB+
jameswood
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Tue-00-Apr

3D print quality is going to be directly affected by the quality of the STL which in turn is a function of the scan data and the data processing via the software. so, for $20 right now you get the mobile version of the software and its data processing. there are now outstanding 2 other critical areas required for a good 3D print of a 3D scan, namely: the quality of the scan data and the quality of the STL. the scan data is a factor of a lot of technical things I don't understand. at a high level, for this kind of 3D scanning technique, the quality of the light scan line and the quality of the video are going to be two very important inputs.

That brings us to optics: the fineness, purity, temporal and geometric stability of the light is going to be critical. a laser is an obvious choice because its cost effective for the quality of the light source. but lasers output a collimated dot and so optics are required to get a line needed by the software. optics come in a variety of qualities which i will grade from 0 to 10 to exemplify things. where, 0 is crappy plastic optics that lack clarity or accuracy in tolerances to 10 which are the absolute best quality down to the atomic level of purity and accuracy. with optics you get what you pay for. i know this personally as lasers and optics are a hobby of mine. also, with the lasers, there are also varying levels of quality, however for the red, they are typically the same unless the better quality red is going to use a 635nm single mode diode. i am not sure, John will have to clarify. but for green which will be a DPSS laser that uses crystals to create the beam, the quality varies. For a line lens plastic is fine as long as its uniform and of decent optical quality. they are still hard to make because of these tolerances to get a decent line. from what I understand the basic and advanced lasers will use high quality plastic lenses. the advanced laser will use glass - these are quite expensive but produce a very high quality line = better quality scan.

You are also moving the model around in a circle. this has to be done with stability and consistency. with the platform you will get both the platform will be made to quality out of metal. the platform is solid cast aluminum and anodized black with a very accurate fine angle graduation printed on it. The platform is going to be driven by a worm drive for less mechanical vibration transmission to the platform (and its quieter) coupled to a pulley to dampen leaked vibrations. the platform will ride on high quality bearings both around the spindle and around the outside edge so weight is distributed for a larger weight limit.

The 3D print quality is of course a factor of a brain numbing number of things. but one is the STL. the STL can have a infinite number of different ways of constructing the geometry of the object. typically that geometry is a factor of the resolution and accuracy of the scan data or point cloud - the data representation of all the points of reflected light the camera picked up and at what time. so you can see right there that the quality of the optics (laser and lens) and mechanics (stability of the whole system and accuracy of object rotation) comes directly into play. if you have a better quality optical input you will get better quality data, geometry and print quality.

So... to my mind, to get all this in a $200 package and some refinement tiers up to one using better lasers and optics for $500... if you know the cost of optics and lasers and quality engineering and manufacturing, $500 sounds dirt cheap. this is a lot of R&D and engineering consideration that you are getting even in the $200 package. also it looks like there will be an upgrade path if you decide to get a less expensive package and want to upgrade later.

I think its going to be better than the because first of all all the components are made to be discrete (not connected together in a box). this will allow easier transport and much more versatile set up. the position of the lasers will be dependent on the nature of the model that is being scanned. the ability to independently move the lasers around to get them optimally positioned is the biggest selling point of over the quality of the optics and mechanics i talked about.

And so... that's my brain dump on why I think the is such a great deal.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby jameswood » 2013-Apr-Tue-22-Apr

Thanks for the diatribe!

I wonder how critical the Powell-lensed lasers would be (over, say, a $20 eBay line laser...) when partnered with the not-all-that-precise lens on the iPhone camera. I suspect that the premium lasers will have more of an effect when used with an SLR and the desktop app, and it will be really interesting to see the results. I hope he hits his funding goal - and that even if he doesn't reach it, he finds a way to go on.

As a sidenote: thanks for running this site. The forum and wiki have been instructive and inspirational, and it's a great community you've built. Cheers!

PB+
jameswood
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2013-Apr-Tue-22-Apr

I would think that the quality of the video (which includes all optics and light sources and mechanics involved in capturing it) will play a role in the quality of the scan. im not sure how photon is doing so well - it looks more like a cheap consumer "toy" and not a high quality optomechanical tool, like Moedls. I guess its just hype unless I am missing something. also the Moedls design is more flexible than fixed camera and laser. with photon you can't use your own camera which can be anything from a cheap digicam, to your mobile phone, to a DSLR or pro video camera. also the ability to move the lasers around means you can adjust optimally for a wide range of source objects.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Gianmarco » 2014-Jun-Sun-02-Jun

Hallo everyone, I'm taking a look around for a cost/effective 3D scan solution. Moedls looks great but does it works with blue/violet laser line as well as it does with green one? Thanks in advance.
All the best

Gianmarco
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby pefferie » 2014-Oct-Tue-18-Oct

Rubicon scanner has already started shipping. I can't post a url, but www rubitech org should land you on their page.

pefferie
Loading filament...

Return to CAD & design