CAD Suggestion

Discussions about CAD use and designing

CAD Suggestion

Postby MileHigh3DII » 2017-Feb-Sun-00-Feb

This 3D printing really kicks me in the butt at so many levels. I've finally gotten bed adhesion to acceptable headache level with Buildtak. The major hurdle for me now is CAD design. I'm not a trained engineer and I really struggle getting things from my head to an STL file I can print. I know a lot of it is simply actually knowing what I want- I always have to redesign things 304 times because they don't work or I don't see issues of interaction.

I can do Tinkercad and I have used 123Design. 123 drives me nuts. It doesn't seem to behave predictably. I really like some of the finer tools like radiusing edges. I find simple things much easier to do in Tinkercad. I really want something that is as simple as TInkerCADs block system and straightforward L measuring tool, but with the ability to do more complex things like radius edges in 123D.

I also wonder about using a pen integration of some sort? Does that help? After all the hardware and software issues I've overcome, the inability to get what is in my head into a print is the last thing. Part of it is that I don't use the tools enough, but I get so frustrated I just go away for a month or so.

MileHigh3DII
Waiting for printbed temp...

CAD Suggestion

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: CAD Suggestion

Postby frankv » 2017-Feb-Sun-13-Feb

FWIW, I've been using OnShape.com for a year or so. I like it (obviously) and have never used TinkerCAD or 123D.

I does the advanced Fillet/Chamfer thing (amongst lots of other things), and I find it easy to use.

However, any CAD package is going to have a big learning curve.

Some others you might want to look at are FreeCAD and OpenSCAD, or perhaps Meshmixer or Blender if you're more into organic than mechanical stuff.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby trice001 » 2017-Mar-Fri-07-Mar

thanks for this type of best and good suggestion.

trice001
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby __Vinz__ » 2017-May-Thu-00-May

Hi,

Just a note to say that I use FreeCAD and I love it but as frankv said, there is quite a bit of learning curve. It has an amazing community and tons of tutorials on Youtube.

Printrbot Play Kit from Nov 2015 - Rev F5 printrboard
Y axis with heated bed upgrade - installed Oct 2016
Z lead screw 4-start + blower fan upgrade - installed April 2017
__Vinz__
Levelling print bed...

Postby IPrintThereforeIAm » 2018-May-Tue-18-May

I may be a bit late to this party, but I HIGHLY recommend Autodesk Fusion 360. By far the most intuitive CAD software I've used thus far, and just as robust (if not more so) than SolidWorks. You can get it free of charge as a hobbyist.

IPrintThereforeIAm
Loading filament...

Postby novice » 2018-May-Tue-20-May

If it's any consolation I showed up even fashionably later to this party. Having no formal training and becoming more senile with every tick of the clock, I agree Fusion360 is wonderful...however as it's not used often enough to retain adept navigation with it, I spend as much time relearning the software as designing with each use. Also have free access to Solidworks due to affiliation with EAA, same story for me. Cubify Invent is the most intuitive to me and had I not been so cheap a few years back, suspect I'd have been better off paying extra for the added features of Cubify Design.

novice
I'm an end stop.

Postby Jimmy McNulty » 2018-Jun-Tue-06-Jun

For people who use CAD software rarely or for a single task (hobby for example) among the whole variety of software is quite suitable SketchUp, Fusion360, Blender or TinkerCad, but if you work with CAD software constantly and professionally, in my opinion the best choice will be Solidworks, CATIA or Onshape. Buying a license in this case isn't a problem (especially if it's paid by the company), and you you will also have access to various futures (in my case it'sa plug-in that allows you to export 3D scans from Artec Studio to SolidWorks directly). "Major" CAD software is more functional and multitasking, and has more advanced technical support.
Here is list of best free CAD software (according all3dp) and here is just best (the way they believe). You can choose for yourself.
I hope this helps.

Jimmy McNulty
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to CAD & design