[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Nut and bolt with homegrown CAD

Nut and bolt with homegrown CAD

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Fri-12-Mar

I like making software and some may remember the CSG modeller based on AngelScript viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10650
At that time it was a preprocessor to OpenSCAD, and it can still be used that way. However, I have recently been working with doing the boolean operations without OpenSCAD, because it is a challenge and because I want something a bit faster. I found an interesting library called CARVE that can do similar things, so I started looking into it. It turns out it is quite good, so I began building functionality around it. With this tool I can do almost all what OpenSCAD can do, and most of the time significantly faster.

As a test of a new feature yesterday I designed an M16 metric nut and bolt, with threads according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread . Could I design it, print it so the nut and bolt fit? Here are some results:

First a view of the STL file mesh of the bolt (D=16mm, pitch=2mm) . The threads have been created by winding the thread profile about 15 times around. Then unioned with a cylinder to make a threaded rod. Then unioned that with the rounded head to make a bolt, and the other rod end slightly chamfered.
bolt_mesh1.jpg

The nut is created by subtracting the threaded rod from the head, adding a 0.5mm clearance
nut_mesh1.jpg

Here are the two parts printed on my Simple Metal. 0.1mm layer, 210C, no brand PLA. Bed temperature 65C.
IMG_0195.jpg

And yes, the threads actually fit ....
IMG_0189.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Nut and bolt with homegrown CAD

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Mar-Fri-13-Mar

That's impressive!

Does that mean you've using the CARVE library within AngelScript CSG? Is there a new version to download?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Fri-13-Mar

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby frankv » 2016-Mar-Fri-14-Mar

Interesting!

Where can I find out more about the CARVE library?

I'm interested in using to convert scanned meshes as .OBJ files into solids as .STEP or similar.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Fri-17-Mar

cacb
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Mar-Fri-18-Mar

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2016-Mar-Fri-18-Mar

Yes, I have Meshlab. Also this, which works with MeshLab and Blender http://3d-print.link/download/lunavast-cgto3dprint/ and a bunch other stuff. But nothing seems good at converting meshes to solids (yes, I know that's a difficult problem).

However, what I'm aiming to do is to take some of the myriad 3D models on the Net and edit them to make them 3D printable.

Naturally, :roll: I've started with a complex example... the Wright Brothers 1903 Flyer 3D-scanned by the Smithsonian... http://3d.si.edu/downloads/48

Tools I'm using are MeshMixer to chop the model into bits and MeshLab to simplify the meshes of each part. But I want to load it into OnShape (since that's my preferred CAD program) to edit the parts (e.g. adding tabs and pins and so on to the parts for reassembly), scaling, etc. However, OnShape won't read .OBJ files, so I'm using FreeCAD to convert to a solid and export as STEP/IGES. But the conversion re-adds all the removed complexity, and makes the object file huge and unwieldy again. :( I'm thinking maybe to use cacb's app, or the CARVE library, or whatever, to simplify the solids.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Sat-02-Mar

cacb
Support material...

Postby cacb » 2016-Mar-Sat-16-Mar

Now on Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1445033 if you want to give it a try

cacb
Support material...

Return to CAD & design