Problem with my project....

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-00-Oct

http://www.titaniceng.altervista.org/Joe2.zip
First off here's my files, the project, exported to DWG from Google Sketchup 2015 and the fixed STL file uploaded n fixed from https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net/

I had to make links of the pics, forum didnt like them lol
It's a modified version of this object. Minus the electronics.
http://www.knightdesigns.com/images/store/P1voicebox/album/images/voicebox05.jpg

What I have done is combined that design of the black part and combined it with features of this one:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8tlTLMbsNrQ/TmAffsoMC5I/AAAAAAAAAFQ/VC-xR8ggCKk/s1600/IMG_1196.JPG

And created something different. When I export the file to STL from Sketchup and import into Repetier Host, says it's not watertight, so I uploaded it to the modelrepair site, and the results are the stl file in the zip. the holes in the middle and on one side are covered now.... I have used that site before on models and this is the first time I have had an issue. I am not sure, but maybe the fact that I was having some issues on sketchup on my laptop might be some of the cause, but I erased most of my work, exported to STL n checked on Repetier Host, was fine, and proceded to redo work on my desktop.

And it's not just covering the holes, in the dwg file, there's 3 sections the center and 2 sides, one side isn't done, so it sits lower, the raised side is finished, and on my square holes its bigger sq. holes and bevels to slightly smaller sq. hole. I imported the repaired STL file into sketchup and thought, I'd edit the file and try again, well on the raised side with sq. beveled holes, the bevels are gone! So I don't know what the issue is... Since I found that model repair site, I have had zero probems with stuff I print. Is it my laptops doing, since sketchup has a few issues or what?? I REALLY wanted to see that printed tonight...... :evil:

Joe

My website is now up, the link is in my profile.
~Owner, Designer & Builder Killer K.A.R.R.
~Starfleet Captain Joe R.
USS-Titanic Registry Number NCC-1513
Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Problem with my project....

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-01-Oct

Ooooook...... I got more issues then i thought. Not sure how i got this in this section.... Could we move it please? Sorry about that

Joe

Launched: Star Date 48509.9 Galaxy Class, Titanic Sub-Class Starship Max Warp: 15.96
jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Oct-Thu-06-Oct

Topic moved to CAD and Design

Have you tried Netfabb to repair your STL file? They have both cloud and downloadable programs to fix STL's.

But maybe you need to think carefully about how you do your design. Sometimes in some programs you can create things that look perfect on-screen but they are not going to create good STL's because different "sub-parts" are intersecting with each other instead of being merged into a single larger, more complex part. Way back in 2011 or 2012 Plexus had a thread about this kind of difficulty.

Oh, and I see no reason why you would not be able to upload the pictures to the forum from your computer. "Upload Attachment"... Browse... Upload... Insert Inline.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

Thanks for moving this. The pics I didnt try n upload, just found pics on the internet, I guess one of them is too big,

I will try netfabb. Just incase, is there any free modeling programs out there like Google Sketchup? I have blender, but it kinda confuses me.

Joe

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Postby PxT » 2015-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

Just off the top of my antlers:

OpenSCAD, FreeCAD, Autocad360, DesignSpark, lots of other free AutoDesk stuff.

I used TinkerCAD for my first printable design, I think they still offer free accounts. There's been several other free packages discussed here and elsewhere, Google is your friend and claims to do no evil.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby frankv » 2015-Oct-Thu-17-Oct

https://cad.onshape.com/signin -- I've switched to this from FreeCAD. It's a full-featured free online service, essentially free so long as you share your designs.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Oct-Thu-17-Oct

Of course, like Tinkercad, onshape only works if you're online. If the beaver chew through the fiber (it's happened up here...) then you're stuck, if your provider's slow (or your whole family's streaming Netflix) then so is your work, if the cloudy app's hoster pulls the plug (almost happened with Tinkercad) or drops free accounts your stuff's toast. Wouldn't use them for much beyond quick and dirty. Just saying...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby marmil » 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

Looks like a fun project jknight. I also have switched from FreeCAD to Onshape. FreeCAD (at least with my experience) does a great job of outputting solid models and has some good modeling (and python scripting) capabilities, but it's interface is clunky. I'm loving Onshape now. Onshape allows 10 private files if you don't want to all your files public. I would totally recommend giving Onshape a try. If you watch some of their tutorial videos (they have a bunch on their website and their youtube channel) then I bet you could totally remodel your project from scratch pretty quickly in Onshape.

I've also used Autodesk's Fusion 360 some. (Also free, just sign up as a hobbyist user.) It has a lot of features and makes nice solid models, but it's interface just didn't click with me like Onshape's did. Autodesk also has a free very light weight CAD program called 123D Design, which looks good for the simplicity. I've never tried it but I've seen it being used by various makers online (The Ben Heck Show!) so people must like it.

[I still like to use Sketchup for roughing out ideas sometimes, but yeah, if trying to use it to make your final solid models for printing you do indeed have to regularly check that you haven't mucked up your modeling and broken something.]

CG & 3D enthusiast • Printrbot+ Kickstarter backer • Mods: GT2 belts, custom aluminum y-carriage and print bed
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby jknightandkarr » 2015-Oct-Sun-12-Oct

Thanks for the replys. This is the first time ever I have made a 3D model with Sketchup, being water tight has been issues, but that website has always fixed them without an issue but I grabbed 123D stuff. Will look at that along with some other stuff.

Joe

jknightandkarr
I'm an end stop.

Return to CAD & design