[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Anyone have a 3D scanner?

Anyone have a 3D scanner?

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby PxT » 2015-Aug-Fri-17-Aug

I have an item I would like to scan. It's small, a couple of inches cubed, so it would fit on any of the consumer level turntable type scanners. But it's not worth it for me to shell out $500 - $1000 to buy a scanner for this one item. Does anyone have a scanner who would be willing to run a couple of scans for a price? Or maybe we could trade for filament?

I googled around a bit but I couldn't find any consumer-level service out there for this. There are some industrial type outfits that want thousands of dollars that are out of my price range. :) Maybe a market niche that needs to be filled?

PxT
Print complete...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Anyone have a 3D scanner?

Postby PxT » 2015-Aug-Fri-17-Aug

And yes, I am aware of the smart phone apps that purport to do this, but they generally produce poor results in my experience.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby marmil » 2015-Aug-Fri-19-Aug

Are you planning to ship the item to be scanned to the scanner location?

I have a friend in San Francisco that has built one. Or maybe two by now. I'll ask him about this and PM you.

+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Aug-Fri-22-Aug

I have one. It needs to be calibrated, but I think it should work. If you send me picture of the object(s) then I can tell you if I can scan it or not.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby PxT » 2015-Aug-Sat-09-Aug

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Sat-15-Aug

There's a PC version of that may (should) work better than the cell phone versions. It'd only take a little time to try it and see if the results are acceptable.

Autodesk is still adding stuff, worth checking out occasionally.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sat-15-Aug

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Sat-16-Aug

That looks pretty good in the video!

Have you tried running the stl through Netfabb? Some time ago I read that 123Catch isn't too good filling in areas it can't see in the photos.

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby evanalmighty » 2015-Aug-Sat-16-Aug

Use meshlab to close up all the holes and run it through netfabb just for safe measures.

evanalmighty
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sat-16-Aug

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Sat-18-Aug

Do some Googling (as I did a few months ago, and have forgotten the details) for photogrammetry... there's some very good software (much better than 123D Catch) available for free. Whereas 123D Catch gives you a take-it-or-leave-it attempt at a scan, this other software allows you to see what it's doing, and to tune the conversion process. If someone cares enough to ask, I'll try to find it again. But hopefully someone cares enough to find it themselves and post the results here.

There is also the option of printing your own 3D scanner... I've printed and assembled the $30 Sardauscan available from Thingiverse. I haven't yet had anything usable out of it, but I think that's due to calibration and mechanical wobble errors.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby marmil » 2015-Aug-Sat-20-Aug

I've been trying out Autodesk's newer photogrammetry software Momento. I like it better then 123D Catch. If you've been using 123D, I'd encourage having a look at Momento also. For windows and Mac, and free.

+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby kareem613 » 2015-Aug-Sat-23-Aug

If you can get your hands on an old xbox kinect, you can use kscan3d. I tried it out to scan a large piggy bank. Results were great.

kareem613
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sun-02-Aug

cacb
Support material...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Sun-03-Aug

No, not Momento (although I did look at that too).

See http://wedidstuff.heavyimage.com/index. ... -workflow/ for a summary.

Visual SFM http://homes.cs.washington.edu/~ccwu/vsfm/ (why does my mind confuse that with BDSM?) was what I was trying to remember.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sun-03-Aug

cacb
Support material...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Sun-08-Aug

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cacb
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Mon-14-Aug

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2015-Aug-Mon-16-Aug

cacb
Support material...

Postby MileHigh3DII » 2015-Sep-Wed-20-Sep

Since you only need the form, maybe add some bits of flat tape to the areas with low fidelity so the software has some points to work with? I'm looking forward to trying that new software. 123dCatch just hasn't worked well for me.

MileHigh3DII
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby frankv » 2015-Sep-Wed-22-Sep

I'm wondering if the absence of points on the side of the helmet is an artifact of the lighting? That side seems to be darker/more shaded than the others? So perhaps it has run out of resolution? Maybe try another series photos with flash or whatever to smooth out the lighting from all directions?

I understand that one of the things to do to improve scans is to paint the object matt white.... hopefully a water-soluble white paint wouldn't harm the helmet itself?

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby thawkins » 2015-Sep-Wed-23-Sep

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby frankv » 2015-Sep-Thu-04-Sep

What you've just described is similar to the Sardauscan, except with lasers rather than a camera. Also, I saw people in the FreeLSS (Raspberry Pi based laser scanner) group were talking about replacing lasers with a camera and photogrammetry.

Beware of using this with Visual SFM... it appears to use the background to calculate the orientation of the camera to the object. With a turntable and fixed camera, I guess you know that, but you'd have to integrate that into Visual SFM somehow.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby cacb » 2015-Sep-Thu-11-Sep

cacb
Support material...

Postby cacb » 2015-Sep-Thu-11-Sep

cacb
Support material...

Postby Headbuttsteve » 2016-Nov-Tue-17-Nov

Can anybody please explain how to import digital photos into Autodesk 123d Catch for windows?

Thanks

Headbuttsteve
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Nov-Tue-20-Nov

Sure. Ask our googlian overlords and .

No offense intended, but a Printrbot support forum isn't the best place to ask this. Are you one of the down under Printrbot owners, and which model do you have?

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby WestReak » 2016-Dec-Fri-04-Dec

Yep I have I usually scan objects with complex geometry (like car engine) so i choosed spider. Yep it's expensive, but it worth it. If you wanna some cheaper, well my friend started with scanning using kinect sensor.

Last edited by WestReak on 2017-Apr-Tue-07-Apr, edited 1 time in total.
WestReak

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Dec-Fri-13-Dec

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby WestReak » 2017-Mar-Fri-07-Mar

WestReak

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Apr-Sat-11-Apr

Looks good! Thanks!

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to CAD & design