[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - A new Cloud-based CAD system free to Makers

A new Cloud-based CAD system free to Makers

Discussions about CAD use and designing

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Mon-13-Jul

Although I'm not a particularly avid fan of cloud-based software myself, it seemed that I should make the Printrbot community aware of this package:

I haven't tried it out; this is just an info posting.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: A new Cloud-based CAD system free to Makers

Postby lairdb » 2015-Jul-Sun-12-Jul

I'm using OpenShape almost exclusively, and finding it very handy. A lot of their concepts are smoother and better thought out than the legacy packages -- there's clearly little or no hangover thinking from the mechanical drawing days.

They are clear that's it's still evolving (e.g. some text support was just added in the last couple of weeks) -- OTOH, there's an update improving and extending nearly every week. One cautionary note: they appear committed to a free option forever, but they seem to be scratching their heads a bit on what limits that may have in the future. (Looks like they won't limit features other than team-oriented collaboration features; more likely storage limits. TBD, though.)

Simple Metal Kit, heated bed
Mods: blower fan with self-remixed
Usually PLA on kapton with AquaNet.
Usually Cura.
lairdb
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Wed-22-Aug

I've been trying OnShape (despite my wariness of Cloud stuff), and I must say I'm thoroughly impressed. Up to now I've been using FreeCAD, and OpenSCAD a little, but I've decided to switch to OnShape.

OnShape seems to work well. Whilst not intuitive (and I haven't yet found a CAD package that is), it is well thought out. It's fast and convenient. They also answer their feedback' comments quickly and efficiently. Even though I'm just using their free service.

For free, you get *full* functionality. :) Currently you are limited to 5 private "documents" (projects) and a total of 5GB of storage. You can have as many public projects as you like (I think this is a great idea). Those limits are changing in a few weeks to 10 private documents, and 100MB private storage (total limit is still 5GB).

If in future I do want to exit OnShape for whatever reason, there are several formats you can export to (STL, STEP, Parasolid, ACIS, IGES, Solidworks).

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby marmil » 2015-Aug-Thu-15-Aug

I started using Onshape about 10 days ago now. I really like it a lot. I even tried worked on a project with a friend and we were both in a shared document working on parts at the same time. I was seeing his updates, and he mine, in real time.

I've been sending Onshape a good number of Feedback/Suggestion emails and they seem quite responsive. I believe they still have a lot of stuff they want to add over time. The question still remains though if their new Free user plan will work for me. Only 100mb and 10 private docs initially seems rather limiting. But maybe in reality I'll make most stuff I design there Public and only have a few Private docs. $100/month to have unlimited Private documents is more then I'm willing to pay for what's essentially hobby software at this time.

A tip I learned: These Onshape CAD documents become huge since it saves *all* the history as you work. But if you copy a document to a new document it essentially blows away all the history as it doesn't copy the history to the new document. Then you can delete to old doc. Doing this reduced the file size on a project from 194mb to 5mb so definitely worth using this wacky work around to reduce file size.

+ [color=#BF0000]•
marmil
Honeycomb infill 25%...

Postby frankv » 2015-Aug-Thu-19-Aug

I think it's a very fair offer from OnShape... in essence, you can use *our* software for free if you share *your* designs.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Thu-19-Aug

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby studebaker » 2015-Sep-Sun-09-Sep

VERY useful information! Thank you. I'll be trying it out soon.

LexiGraphic Design Group| Anderson, SC | 864.832.7446 Printrbot GO Large 12x24 bed
studebaker
Loading filament...

Return to CAD & design