Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: a video lesson how to make gcode for engraving

Postby PxT » 2015-Dec-Tue-12-Dec

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Dec-Wed-11-Dec

While I still think that Endurance Robots has been using our forum to boost their search engine rankings with posts not related to Printrbots or 3D printing, I have to say that this is a good quick intro to Inkscape and vector devices. While still not PB relevant it's in the public service category and worthwhile.

Interestingly, I was doing this a couple days ago with some neighbor kids and an Egg-Bot (which uses it's own non-gcode control plugin to drive the device). Potrace, like every other free raster to vector converter I found, can take a lot of hand editing to get good results. I did a fair amount of this a few years back with my CNC router - you'll get real familiar with the bezier curve editor if you do any amount of raster to vectoring. They lucked out with this image, and have the advantage that lasers engrave a faster than spinning bits of metal. If you were going to do a lot of these, say for presents or cards, it'd still be worth the time to clean up all the little nits and connect the lines. I'd probably have run the image through gimp and cleaned it up a bit. I'd also have considered trying out the eggbot related stipplegen program's tsp (traveling salesman problem) solver and see if it did any better producing laserable results.

I haven't used the JTech plugin (my laser uses LaserDRW with another proprietary non-gcode interface), but have done a fair amount of cnc router engraving with the also from Russia gcodetools. For CNC engraving and 2D cutting it's decent, if a bit tough to figure out. The english language gcodetools support forum is still active, but they haven't released anything for quite a while. It's included in Inkscape 0.91 without any extra downloading.

From memory all the Inkscape menu positions are the same in the English language version, but ER's not using the english language version of Inkscape is a minus. While we have a number of non-native english speakers here it's what most of us use, and this Yooper moose can't read (yes, I know it's regrettable) cyrillic text languages. I'd suggest to ER that they use the same language version of Inkscape as the voiceover in their videos, but that's a minor nit.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby endurance-robots » 2017-Jun-Fri-03-Jun

an example how to make gcode image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZqGZ1NO_SQ

endurance-robots
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to CAD & design