OI ... What CONDITON did you recieve your Printrbot in?

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Mar-Sun-16-Mar

-----------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------
------------------------------
------------------
--------
----
--
Greetings fellow Aussies.

If there is once thing I am big on, it's receiving my orders undamaged and screaming at those logistic companies that care less for our fragile items. TNT ... all I can say about this company is GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr.

I have read in the Newbie section about another Aussie (khiron - Hi, hope your having fun!) ... whom was happy to receive his/her item quicker than expected. Great to hear. Not so great are the other stories of missing parts.

So it is that I now ask ... on the condition you received your item in.

If known, please mention the transport company that delivers to your door.

Was you box damaged in any way?

We're all the Parts included? on that Note ... Did the supplied documentation make it easy to do an inventory (parts check)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fanplastic
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: OI ... What CONDITON did you recieve your Printrbot in?

Postby hugerobots » 2013-Mar-Sun-17-Mar

My Jr. came right on time. 3 Weeks after ordering. Box wasn't damaged at all and the packaging was great. Bubble wrapped, tapped and all in all a well thought out packaging system.

There were a few longer screws missing but there were extra slightly less long screws. There was also an extra birch plate that wasnt' laser burnt all the way through, but still had parts I decided to keep in case something breaks. I made due with what I had in the and it all came together nicely.

You'll find that when you're putting your Printrbot together for the first time that it's a good idea to have simple hand tools readily available. Like a cordless drill... Thank you science for cordless drills...

As for which transport company? That's relatively subjective to the actual humans who handle it. My box did come with a 'Fragile' sticker on it, so that may have helped in keeping it upright during shipping.

The kit you'll receive is just that. A kit designed for hobbyists. You're not ordering a perfectly lathed, milled and moulded toaster.

Good luck! You'll be pumping out goop and making plastic moustaches in no time.

hugerobots

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Mar-Sun-18-Mar

These individuals you refer to, reflect the company they work for ... and we take great pride in holding them & company accountable, specifically when such individuals cause us grief. Our Australian attitude of, she'll be right mate, has somewhat added to complacency and disrespect currently rampant in our modern services.

I have a pretty good idea of what I am ordering ... I thank you for your feed back relating to the missing parts.

>>>>>>> Value is often worded in ways to make us believe we are receiving a quality product, but how quick such an item, is downgraded when we do not receive it in the fashion it was sold. <<<<<<<<<

I'm not expecting a polished toaster, but I do expect to get what it is that a company claims to sell:

Perhaps I am expecting too much of Printrbot. Perhaps they should sell on Ebay.
According to their return policy ... they could make money off that alone.

I'm not here to kiss ass ... I am here to find out the truth.

I want to know if its a case of , she'll be right ... it was someone else s fault, can't help that. Yea not all the parts come, but for $700.00 plus shipping what do you expect.
More than one way to tell a story...all to often the negative feed back is removed or played down.

When you pay for shipping ... and the current prices charged. I don't give 2 hoots about passing the buck ... We make the effort that many do not. The wife just finished up, working for a courier company after a number of years. Believe me when disgruntled worker see "fragile" on the box ... its a trigger for most of theses poor hard done by soles passing the buck. TNT has a bad reputation with some suppliers swapping freight companies as it does affect business when it gets bad enough.

Prtintrbot's responsibility:
If I don't get what is claimed to be in the Kit and dissatisfied with the advertised quality ... I will source what I need (for No extra Cost! :roll: ) & indeed ... I will drag the name Printrbot through the mud and make it stick in every corner of the internet! Consumer complacency and obnoxious emails from suppliers seems to be like global warming ... The problem is so big ... accepted and bla bla ... Obviously some people have more money than commonsense that often leads such types into denial as well as ending up with brown noses.

Soon the information will be more available than just these specific manufacturer forums ... more and more blogs will be made and people will speak more freely.

On the other hand ... If I get what is advertised and all the parts come ... and possibly even work ... Then I too may Kiss their asses, as others have done. :lol:

We shall see.
Thanks all the same ...
I'll head down to bunnings now, and get some extra Parts.

Yep ... tools on the ready. ;)

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Mar-Sun-19-Mar

Leapfrog just responded 7 days later to an inquiry regarding an item costing us up to $3000.00
The reply simply included nothing other then an email address of a local supplier.

We asked specific questions relating to their product and then to the options for international post.

A response with just an email address of a local supplier = Disrespect, No Time and outright Ignorance!
The forum reflected this very much ... Leapfrog is a total disaster!

Point is ... this is typical adequate for most business today, but it does not mean we have to put up with it.
Unanswered questions in a forum is one thing, but when communicating with businesses ... such arrogance should have these company's boycotted!

This is what we are dealing with all round these days. Sigh.

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Mar-Sun-20-Mar

USING PAYPALL ... I'll take it up with them if I have issues.
Item not received as described. :lol:

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Mar-Mon-01-Mar

Look at it this way ... User feed back on this forum, relating to one of the supplied parts:

Regarding the power supply, a 500W that can actually deliver 500W would be fine. Many of the cheapo power supplies, including the ones PB includes, can't meet their rated power spec. I got a 500W CoolerMaster from Amazon for under $40.

What's the world coming too. I knew we should not of wasted our money on the power tower. I'll have to update the PSU by the look of things. Sigh...

Fanplastic

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Mar-Mon-12-Mar

The Power Tower itself is fine, though you may need to modify it for proper air intake with some power supplies. I use it as a spool holder and don't have a PS in it.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Mar-Mon-16-Mar

I was thinking about doing the same ... as in using the Power Tower for a holder, if indeed I find the Power Supply inadequate.

I know others may find it hard to believe, but unfortunately (or not so) for myself, I do believe that cheap power supplies are often the cause of many problems. So it is that I take heed, in the comment relating to the topic on Power Supply. I'll do my own tests on this and record my observations. Time to reach heating, response time of mechanical parts, print stalls and so on ... and anything else I can think of. (I'll be powering the plus version)

Fanplastic

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Mon-19-Mar

Fanplastic wrote:I was thinking about doing the same ... as in using the Power Tower for a holder, if indeed I find the Power Supply inadequate.

I know others may find it hard to believe, but unfortunately (or not so) for myself, I do believe that cheap power supplies are often the cause of many problems. So it is that I take heed, in the comment relating to the topic on Power Supply. I'll do my own tests on this and record my observations. Time to reach heating, response time of mechanical parts, print stalls and so on ... and anything else I can think of. (I'll be powering the plus version)

The first "upgrade" I made was to find a supposed high quality PSU. i decided to use an ATX PSU so I could fit it in the Power Tower. but I was going to get an "industrial" 12V PSU made by Meanwell or Lambda. but I wanted it in the Power Tower. so i spent $50 and got what I thought would be a decent Thermaltake. its been working fine for the last almost year. i had to cut a large hole in the side of the Power Tower for the PSU fan however.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Tue-04-Apr

Hi Plexus,
Thanks for your reply.
I have had a few Thermaltake PSUs and they have served me well, even during a few brown outs.

My Printrbot is on its way! I spent a lot of money on extras only to learn that a new version of the printr bot plus has come out, however they have said I am getting that one because I ordered at such and such time. However, I believe that upgrade just consists of all the Extras I paid for that was not coming with it previously, therefore I would expect some kind of refund which I am sure I will not get ... but you know what ... that kind of luck always happens to me, therefore I will not focus on it.

Instead ... I shall endeavor to printout what guides I can and read up on the installation some what. I am just happy it's finally on its way!
My Jerril Nozzles have arrived also ... the .2 and .15 (perhaps not needed, but figured I would try some of the frogs (later when I have learned more) that plexus did.

Once again, having made the choice, dealt with the email side of things and the Printr on it's way ... I am feeling much more at ease ...
See what happens when I do an inventory :)

Fanplastic

Postby discuc » 2013-Apr-Tue-04-Apr

I got my LC v2 yesterday. I have yet to do an inventory but I hope its all there.

discuc

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Wed-03-Apr

When you can, please to tell. ;)

Fanplastic

Postby discuc » 2013-Apr-Wed-07-Apr

Pulled out all the pieces last night and it all appears to be there. Will be starting assembly tonight, if anything is missing I will find out real quick.

discuc

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Wed-20-Apr

It's good your getting onto this sooner than later. There is an actual set time, to claiming on missing parts. "Understandable so"
People often leave this step way too late ... you have to conditioner in the time your ordered to when it arrived, in in most cases from time sent.
On an international sale, this can be just a number of days, before that time period expires.

Mine is still on it's way, I am yet to print Out some of the guides ... just to make things a little easier; although somehow, I think I will be making more posts than the average Joe, when it comes to putting this thing together.

Good Luck with your Build ...
I would be very interested in hearing any tips you may have or things that I should avoid doing. ;)

Cheers
Dave.

Fanplastic

Postby discuc » 2013-Apr-Thu-05-Apr

One tip for you. You need to drill out the mounting holes in the end stops to get them large enough for the mounting screws. I think 1/8 bit is what I used. The instructions don't say anything about this.

discuc

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Sun-19-Apr

Edit ...
I am unhappy at the condition my box arrived in.
Box very thin .. arrived crumpled with only a little protection inside and loosely packed.

The "selected" box and packing was inappropriate for the weight and contents. Thin walled box with fragile components that yet might be found to be broken when I go through it all later. The boxed has caved in on several sides. Due to the flimsy build and structure of the box and the way it was packed (loosely), I can not this time, blame the transports company. I think the Printrbot would do well to choose a much more practice box and better packed such fragile components.

I was initially very upset with my first post regarding this, but have since deleted it, and now simply make note of this fact. Again, Printrbot would do well to use a thinker box and better pack its contents.

Inventory yet to follow.

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Sun-22-Apr

OK ... Moving on:
Parts all neatly laid out on table ... yet to be checked.
Pleased to see a detailed check list.
The items themselves are packed neatly in separate plastic bags.
Very happy at how the nuts and bolts are packed.

Rolls of plastic not labeled ... have no idea what plastic is what. abs or pla? (I am easily confused ... labels would of been nice) Only labes I can see are big red Dots on the plastic bags themselves ... with nothing written on them. Actually none of the parts themselves are labeled ... you have to look at the shape of each part then the diagrams. Perhaps this is meant to help keep it looking pretty? Either way ... if you like jigsaw puzzles, then this kit is for you. ;)

Yet to print out the guides.

With the additional drilling and no doubt "hidden" mods yet to be relieved ... I do believe this will most certainly not, be a project for your average consumer.
Looking forward to the coming headaches. :D

To be fair ... what can one expect these days for Several Hundred Dollars.

It is what is is ... a Seven Hundred Dollar Jigsaw Puzzle; that if done write ... could possibly replicate itself of the USS Voyager herself. ;)

I'm naturally up an down ... for now, just glad I have something else to play with.
Dave.

Fanplastic

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Apr-Sun-23-Apr

Good Luck with the jigsaw puzzle! Naproxen is good for those headaches - it'll last longer than acetaminophen or ibuprofen, if you're not allergic :)

There's assembly directions on the Wiki. While they're for the non V2 versions they should provide some useful advice if you at least scan through them. There's also a series of posts from CL1 (the contract engineer who did the LC design for manufacturing for PB, who used to post regularly in this forum) that were what I used way back when I assembled my Kickstarter Plus.

PB's not the only ones that just don't understand shipping; it's pretty common. Think about those packages you received with a ton of packing material over the purchased item that's sitting on the bottom of the box. While I've never worked in shipping (other than short-term impressed labor) I've had the opportunity to watch and talk to those who were good at it, and it's really not that hard to do it right. Just think in 3D and realize that anything you ship will be abused. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out...

If you have some acetone see if a small piece of the filament dissolves in it. If it does it's ABS. Otherwise it's PLA.

Happy Assembling. Let us know how it goes, take pictures, and remember that somebody on the forum's most likely had whatever problems you'll run into.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-01-Apr

It's all good ... much appreciated.
Thanks Kirk.

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-05-Apr

Alrighty then ... you have inspired me to take photos. :)

As well as the printrbot pluss V2 ... (thanks for throwing in the extra plastic to make up the difference! I was hoping you guys would do something like that :) )
I also ordered a Birch Spool, Spool Coaster, Extra Tips, Power Tower and also a 1.75 Ubis Hot End. (Just want to see the differences for myself)

Here is a preview shot, but I uploaded a high resolution so anyone interested could scroll around to get a closer look. Click the link to see full resolution:

CLICK HERE LINK for full resolution ---------------->>>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/71988794@N ... otostream/

Printrbot Pluss V2 with extras by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

OH ... you don't get the cordless screwdriver or tiny shifter ... that you have to either have yourself or go purchase elsewhere, like I just did. Will charge the driver over night and ... THEN finally print the guide tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the encouragement Kirk. I think I will facebook this effort to share with others.

Fanplastic

Postby holmes4 » 2013-Apr-Mon-07-Apr

My understanding is that you get ABS with the Plus.

Steve
PB+ Backer 1402
holmes4
Bowden extruder

Postby halley » 2013-Apr-Mon-09-Apr

A quick check between ABS and PLA is to snip off a centimeter of it, hold it with pliers, and hold the plastic over a candle. Keep the plastic outside the visible flame, but over it. (Touching the yellow flame will result in lots of charring.) Wait for it to start to melt just a little. If the melting plastic has a chemical smell, ABS. If it has a faint sugar smell, PLA.

halley
ACME leadscrew

Postby hugerobots » 2013-Apr-Mon-09-Apr

Well it's nice to see you don't have to break the pieces out of a plate that isn't burnt through. That's what my JR came like and I ended up breaking a few pieces when extracting them. Luckily they threw in a few extra plates.

Although they lack on labelling and packaging expertise, they do like to toss in a few extras here and there.

hugerobots

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Thanks guys. I really do appreciate your help. I have some questions and understand how it is that people sometimes get upset if I ask things that are already posted ... but I must ask those people to please deal with it. I have a learning disability, therefore thank those of you that are patient enough to help me.

My first Question:
This is where I am at ... at this time (first thing I am able to comprehend)
http://www.printrbottalk.com/wiki/index ... embly_Prep
Flattening Motor Shafts.

In the following photo, which Motors do I flatten:

Which motors to FLAT by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

I understand clearly that flattening X & Y is preferable (assists in keeping things calibrated something about the set screws to which I will learn more about later)
But the guide: at the above link also mentions flattening the "extruder" motors, which I assume are the other three motors in that picture above?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=441

I am confused with the next link, which the guide above gives. There is rather bold statement about NOT flattening the Z motors, as in DON'T flatten the Z motors ... which then leaves me wondering if I am just to flatten X&Y but not sure about E?

Could someone please tell me which of the motors depicted above, I should flatten.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-19-Apr

Now I feel like a goose. Just opened them up to mark them. During this process I discovered that as I suspected the XY and E motors are already flattened. Thank You!

Going to look at the Base instructions now. I think that is where I start. :)

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-22-Apr

OK ... this is not looking good at all.
The instruction at the link provided are not the same as the cuts I have. I have no grill on my base??? I have missing holes and different shapes.
Given to this ... there are NO markings on any of the pieces to indicate what piece is what. Chinese instructions that most people struggle with, seem to at least have this kind of reference.
It's very difficult trying to follow the guides with pieces that look different to the base I am looking at.
I also think I am missing pieces as well, but will have to check that latter as my disappointment at the guides provided and differences in my cuts without any markings on the pieces, have led me to much frustration and needing to walk away and come back much later.

The irony is, that you get a piece of paper showing the shapes with letters and number to indicate what pice is ... but no markings on the pices as stated. With reference to nuts and bolts, this is also the case and very frustrating ... you have to guess the thickness and length as some do look the same but are not.

I have also discovered talk about the NEED to treat all the wooden parts as moisture will end up later warping the printer if parts are not treated. This I am also upset with as well ... had I known that ... I would not of bothered. Hence to say that the labeling and guides are enough to leave me rather frustrated. I will keep searching in case there is a picture I can try and match up my parts to, but at this stage my parts are different and again, seemingly missing ones as well.

Had a guide with referencing material to match the parts actually been provided, I do believe I would still be sitting at my table and not so flustered in here. I mean seriously, I check list with referencing number and letters, but none on all those different sized nuts, bolt, washers,springs and parts ... I cant even adequate do an inventory because of this as I have no idea which nuts are 6300# because the packaging gives me no reference, nor the sheet I am reading from.

Again ... The guides don't seem to have the same parts ... not in the base I am using. It's very hard only having the shapes to look at on the internet with no markings on the pieces themselves, especially when the parts I have, dont have the holes cut the same way ... bla bla bla ...

Now ... I am not meaning to be negative here ... something clearly lacking with the referencing and labeling to begin with ... The parts in the guides that differ I can understand, however this combined with no referencing to begin with and no instruction in my kit make this a rather trying ordeal.

I shall do my best to collect my thoughts, and at least see if I can find some pictures that resemble the version I am trying to find a guide for.

Here are the main 3 large parts to my base: (no vents and holes look different so working out orientation difficult.
Base by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

Not the best picture and no comparison to the guides ... but I do intend to make a Blog on this to show exactly what it is that I mean ... Here are the other smaller parts with what seems to be the squarer pieces missing pictured in the Guides .. both photo and video guides:
base parts by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

These pieces where pulled out of the same bag with no labeling on them ... just does not seem to add up with the guide is all ... other than this I had a bigger bag with a heap of smaller parts that I also have to hold up to may computer to see what is suppose to go with what ...:
more parts question mark by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr
In the picture is another bag which I have no idea to what is what.....thing is ... things like the fan setup, belt tensioner and other little builds all seem to be thrown into one and with no referencing ... well this has added to my frustrations.

I also only seem to have 3 rollers out of the four than need to go on the bottom of the base ... I will take more picks later, when I have a celarer mind ... perhaps I am the only one that is having difficulty with all this. I did lay everything out ready for some kind of organized approach ... but hit a road block with the no labling Vs a checklist with nothing but lots of numbers and letters. No way to really check the nuts bolts bla bla like that and ..........

Forgive me ... I don't mean to be on some agenda here to bag out the brand ... just somewhat frustrated with no real instructions and the differences in the pieces I can eye ball (and the varying difference) vs the online guides ...
I did say I have a learning difficulty ... so lets perhaps leave it at that. I am sure it's just me.

Last edited by Fanplastic on 2013-Apr-Mon-22-Apr, edited 1 time in total.
Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-22-Apr

Taking a break and will come back several hours later. Sounds like a plan. ;)

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-23-Apr

Other than differences in the amount of holes, placement and missing air vents I am unable to find these parts out the the BASE bag I emptied onto my table.:
missing parts by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr
Still looking for a 4th roller?

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Mon-23-Apr

Hey ... am I suppose to have 4 of these bearings? or is 3 the right number?
I only have 3 of the smaller metal ones? ... Seriously without any reference on these things ... how am I suppose to know what the LM12UU linear Bearings ...
PHOTOS ... no wonder I was told to take photos. LOL ...
Parts count 001 by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

Hey ... whats with the lazer cut objects till stuck to the board here??????? Do I need to buy a laser to finish the Job? Seriously what's with that?

I know I have to punch/drill a few unfinished holes out ... but I dont have the equipment to finish cutting these off the board???
Hmmmm by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr

Fanplastic

Postby Mooselake » 2013-Apr-Tue-00-Apr

These look like the new delrin bearings, two for the y idler and one for the non-motor end of the bridge. They replace the 608 bearings.

Try a few passes with an xacto knife to cut off those wooden bits (watch your fingers), looks like they are almost cut through. They look like the adjuster knobs for the bed levelers.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Tue-03-Apr

ok...thanks ... good tip ... now removed those pieces. I have also found the right guide for my version.
Moving on...

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Tue-04-Apr

I'm bunking down in the follow link now guys.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3200&p=21221#p21221
I will have plenty of photos in there.
I have run into some shady cuts that I am worried about ... however will suffice with what advice I can get.
Things are looking a lot better since finding the right guide for this new Version. Plus V2 ;)

Fanplastic

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-Apr-Tue-06-Apr

discuc ... I know what you mean now about the end stops. !!! not much room for error. :(

Fanplastic

Postby discuc » 2013-Apr-Tue-09-Apr

Yeah its a tight squeeze, somebody on here destroyed an end stop drilling them out. Just be careful.

discuc

Postby Hoverhead » 2013-May-Thu-21-May

G'day All,
Well I've just last night, lashed out on a Printrbot Jr. not expecting to see any info about it for another 3 weeks or so. Can you imagine my surprise when my emails this morning not only advised that the order has been completed but also shipped! :o

Looking forward to getting into this 3d printing thing. I'm been studying up on CNC routers for so long and not making a start that this is just the thing for me to get moving. :D

Can't wait now to advise how it is when it gets here.

bfn.

Hoverhead
Levelling print bed...

Postby Hoverhead » 2013-May-Mon-22-May

G'day All,
As Gomer Pyle used to say, surprise, surprise surprise! My parcel arrived just a short time ago (30 mins). That's less than a week from order placement to delivery!
So far first impressions are most favourable. The box was of good quality and strength and the contents were well protected. Quite review appears that all the components are present, a more details check off to follow.

I've got to say I'm most happy with the speed of despatch and delivery of my purchase. :D

Hoverhead
Levelling print bed...

Postby Fanplastic » 2013-May-Sun-01-May

G'day ... This is my experience with them so far Hoverhead:

I am absolutely disgusted with the service I have received from pritrbot! I had to order parts from China, go to the hardware store, chase down nuts and bolts and have had no replies whatsoever from Prinrbot themselves. The support with guides are mostly out of sync and the help I receive in here is beginning to be affected by my growing dislike for the brand. Nothing but a night mare! I highly advice others not to waste their money with Printrbot and advocate if with a passion! In the mean time we shall see how this, you be nice to us and we'll' be nice to you mentality follows. BEWARE OF PRINTRBOT ... once they they take your money ... your &^%$ed!

Fanplastic

Return to Downunder