Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Code hacking talk

Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby teicher » 2015-May-Sat-06-May

I know forking and dead ends have come up a few times in discussions, but it sounds like Brook is seriously considering it now.

https://plus.google.com/+BrookDrummpb/posts/78GBdh752LG
  • 0

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 2014-Apr-Fri-20-Apr
Reputation: 15

Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby Mooselake » 2015-May-Sat-14-May

The G+ comments are pretty interesting, including a number from reputable sources saying that Marlin is such a mess that it might be a dead issue and to look elsewhere. Personally I'd like to see them make an arm (leg, or other established inexpensive 32 bit MCU) based board, abandon the 8 bit printrboard, and go from there. The 8 bit ATMega's time, for 3D printer controllers, is past. It would be nice if the Marlin cleanup/stabilization/final effort project succeeded, but personalities and OS style politics might doom that.

However there was a pretty pertinent comment (from Jesse Laird) "I'll be frank and say PB sometimes goes in a lot of directions at once with new products and upgrades. That challenges your ability (and time) to communicate with outside developers. ... "

Kirk
  • 0

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
User avatar
Mooselake
My next printer is...
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: 2011-Dec-Tue-23-Dec
Location: Moose Swamp, Upper Michigan, USA
Reputation: 177

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby frankv » 2015-May-Sat-16-May

Whilst I agree that moving to 32-bit and ARM makes sense, I've suggested that it might be time to ditch the Printrboard in favour of off-the-shelf MEGA2560+RAMPS+LCD. If that will fit in the same space, it would only mean changing the connectors on the ends of the wires, and would give more functionality for a quarter of the price.
  • 0

frankv
First blob a success!
 
Posts: 519
Joined: 2015-Jan-Thu-12-Jan
Reputation: 18

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby lwalkera » 2015-May-Sat-18-May

I'm working on a STM32 based printrboard, but haven't had much time to devote to it. Planning to use smoothie or port another firmware to it.
  • 0

Laine Walker-Avina
Printrbot Beta-tester and Printrboard Designer
lwalkera
Honeycomb infill 25%...
 
Posts: 291
Joined: 2012-Feb-Sat-04-Feb
Location: Folsom, CA
Reputation: 33

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby Mooselake » 2015-May-Sat-18-May

frankv wrote:Whilst I agree that moving to 32-bit and ARM makes sense, I've suggested that it might be time to ditch the Printrboard in favour of off-the-shelf MEGA2560+RAMPS+LCD. If that will fit in the same space, it would only mean changing the connectors on the ends of the wires, and would give more functionality for a quarter of the price.

That's just an 8 bit AVR with more firmware space and peripheral lines. Still an old and slow architecture that's past it's prime eating development resources (other than final cleanup and stabilization) that are better spent elsewhere. Think Windows 3.1 on a 386 compared to a Windows 7 on a core i3 (substitute Microport and Ubuntu for WinDoze if you prefer)...

Laine, glad to hear that! PM me after it's ready if you need a beta tester, or maybe somebody to help with the firmware (retired after nearly 30 years of real time software development)

Kirk
  • 0

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
User avatar
Mooselake
My next printer is...
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: 2011-Dec-Tue-23-Dec
Location: Moose Swamp, Upper Michigan, USA
Reputation: 177

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby frankv » 2015-May-Sat-23-May

I agree totally. MEGA2560 is a quick and dirty fix to their immediate problem of not enough firmware space.

But it is quick, and it is a solution.

Development resources could then be used to get the ARM version working, rather than shoehorning Marlin into 128K
  • 0

frankv
First blob a success!
 
Posts: 519
Joined: 2015-Jan-Thu-12-Jan
Reputation: 18

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby thawkins » 2015-May-Sat-23-May

frankv wrote:I agree totally. MEGA2560 is a quick and dirty fix to their immediate problem of not enough firmware space.

But it is quick, and it is a solution.

Development resources could then be used to get the ARM version working, rather than shoehorning Marlin into 128K


There are a number of 32bit firmwares, including reprapfirmware which is very advanced and has nice things like built in webserver

https://github.com/reprappro/RepRapFirmware


This firmware is mainly targeted at the DUET, which is a sort of printrboard with arduino DUE compatability (arm 32bit 84mhz)

http://blog.think3dprint3d.com/2013/12/ ... oller.html
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby Mooselake » 2015-May-Sun-09-May

I've sorta been watching the Duet, but even a year and a half after it's release if you google "duet 3d printer controller review" you get pretty much nothing. Considering it's about the same price as a Printrboard ($110 vatless per google conversion), has all the inputs and outputs you'd need (including 10/100 ethernet), and is backed by a seriously big 3D printer name that's pretty surprising. What's with that? Is the firmware, ahem, cr*p?

<soapbox>I see it has yet another open source license (which I didn't look up) to add to the overall confusion. The usual cheap copy suspects would copy it irregardless, only the honest people get confused - witness the current "will my license work with your license?" open source software issues. What's wrong with "make it, mod it, copy it, if you make money off it do the right thing and give me a small cut for my time so we can eat and the SO will quit complaining (well, complain a bit less)"?</soapbox>

Kirk

edit: after poking around in the reprap forums it would appear that the Duet's firmware still isn't ready for prime time. There's several parallel efforts to make it so, remains to be seen if they'll converge on a usable product. Looking more like Arthur's Smoothieware is the way to go.

Wish I knew enough about motion control mechanics, but the comments about how controlling a 3D printer's mechanics are radically different than CNC machines seemed a bit odd. Sure, you're moving a light carriage at high speed, compared to a heavy carriage at lower speed, but since it's not getting into relativity effects the laws of physics are exactly the same. However, still just a moose in a cave...

Laine, any thought to using a Sitara with the built in PRUs?
  • 0

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
User avatar
Mooselake
My next printer is...
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: 2011-Dec-Tue-23-Dec
Location: Moose Swamp, Upper Michigan, USA
Reputation: 177

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby thawkins » 2015-May-Sun-12-May

Mooselake wrote:I've sorta been watching the Duet, but even a year and a half after it's release if you google "duet 3d printer controller review" you get pretty much nothing. Considering it's about the same price as a Printrboard ($110 vatless per google conversion), has all the inputs and outputs you'd need (including 10/100 ethernet), and is backed by a seriously big 3D printer name that's pretty surprising. What's with that? Is the firmware, ahem, cr*p?

<soapbox>I see it has yet another open source license (which I didn't look up) to add to the overall confusion. The usual cheap copy suspects would copy it irregardless, only the honest people get confused - witness the current "will my license work with your license?" open source software issues. What's wrong with "make it, mod it, copy it, if you make money off it do the right thing and give me a small cut for my time so we can eat and the SO will quit complaining (well, complain a bit less)"?</soapbox>

Kirk

edit: after poking around in the reprap forums it would appear that the Duet's firmware still isn't ready for prime time. There's several parallel efforts to make it so, remains to be seen if they'll converge on a usable product. Looking more like Arthur's Smoothieware is the way to go.

Wish I knew enough about motion control mechanics, but the comments about how controlling a 3D printer's mechanics are radically different than CNC machines seemed a bit odd. Sure, you're moving a light carriage at high speed, compared to a heavy carriage at lower speed, but since it's not getting into relativity effects the laws of physics are exactly the same. However, still just a moose in a cave...

Laine, any thought to using a Sitara with the built in PRUs?


Check this out, its a printer about the size of a simple, but with duet and reprapfirmware about the same price too.

https://reprappro.com/shop/reprap-kits/huxley-duo-kit/

They also have a kit version for somebody who already has a 3d printer that allows you to print your own.

https://reprappro.com/shop/reprap-kits/ ... dware-kit/

These both have 32bit controllers....
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby Munson » 2015-May-Sun-16-May

frankv wrote:I agree totally. MEGA2560 is a quick and dirty fix to their immediate problem of not enough firmware space.

But it is quick, and it is a solution.

Development resources could then be used to get the ARM version working, rather than shoehorning Marlin into 128K


I agree with the 2560,I have ditched the printrboard more than a year ago and happier for it
  • 0

Munson
Honeycomb infill 25%...
 
Posts: 291
Joined: 2014-Feb-Wed-12-Feb
Reputation: 5

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby librav » 2016-Jan-Sat-18-Jan

I switched as well, and the printrbot simple metal is running on RAMPS 1.4 but it only prints mirrored parts. I have to mirror every part on its x axis before I print it. Something in the firmware is awry.
  • 0

librav
Waiting to connect to printer...
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 2015-Mar-Wed-17-Mar
Reputation: 0

Re: Printrbot considering a fork of Marlin

Postby thawkins » 2016-Jan-Sat-21-Jan

librav wrote:I switched as well, and the printrbot simple metal is running on RAMPS 1.4 but it only prints mirrored parts. I have to mirror every part on its x axis before I print it. Something in the firmware is awry.


You can get some ridiciously cheap RAMPS setups now, like this one..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Reprap-R ... bc95e3bfad

The only quality issues i have noticed are.

1. Sometimes the usb power diode is soldered in backwards, the only down side of that is the processor board needs to be connected by usb before the orinter will work. Its easy to remove it and turn it around.

2. You can get the odd bad stepper driver, but you can buy 5 drivers for $10 or so, and its always good to have some spares. Another good part of the ramps design is you can replace the stepper drivers if you blow one, on the printrboard, if you blow one, unless you have mad soldering skills the board is a write off.

3. You can do dual extruder without an extension board.
  • 0

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
-------------------------------
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
-------------------------------
Photon, self designed printed printer.
User avatar
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 2013-Aug-Sun-10-Aug
Location: Manila, Philippines
Reputation: 172


Return to Hack talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron