Building a custom display?

Code hacking talk

Postby q__ » 2015-Jan-Wed-02-Jan

So, I want a display for my printer... but I don't really want or need a full LCD screen, and I really like the idea I came up with.

I've got 6 of these (I plan on using 4 or 5 for this project)
iv21.jpg

I've already come up with the ways to display almost all the characters I'd need (except m, that one is tricky with 7 segments, but I'll figure something out)

My main hurdle at this point is:
I have NO idea how the information is fed from the printrboard to the LCD screen board...
and I really don't know how to find out.

I've got microprocessors coming out my ears, so I'll have no problem building something to "decode" the information to display in this custom format...
(also: I don't need any control, I just want this to be a static display to show me the status of a print)

Or is this feat just really not possible?

I'm so early on in the process I don't quite have a clue what I am getting myself into :lol:

If anybody has any useful insight that would be greatly appreciated!
One good place to start is: I don't even know what sort of hardware those LCD screen modules are packing!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
q__
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Building a custom display?

Postby thawkins » 2015-Jan-Wed-04-Jan

q__ wrote:So, I want a display for my printer... but I don't really want or need a full LCD screen, and I really like the idea I came up with.

I've got 6 of these (I plan on using 4 or 5 for this project)
iv21.jpg

I've already come up with the ways to display almost all the characters I'd need (except m, that one is tricky with 7 segments, but I'll figure something out)

My main hurdle at this point is:
I have NO idea how the information is fed from the printrboard to the LCD screen board...
and I really don't know how to find out.

I've got microprocessors coming out my ears, so I'll have no problem building something to "decode" the information to display in this custom format...
(also: I don't need any control, I just want this to be a static display to show me the status of a print)

Or is this feat just really not possible?

I'm so early on in the process I don't quite have a clue what I am getting myself into :lol:

If anybody has any useful insight that would be greatly appreciated!
One good place to start is: I don't even know what sort of hardware those LCD screen modules are packing!

One of the starndard displays driven by marlin is the vicki i2c board, it uses a standard i2c address to drive the data to the display and read the controls etc. The printrboard would operate as a master.

You could create a sketch for a 328p Avr that drove your display, handled the switches and buzzer etc, and acted as an i2c slave on the same address as the vicki style display system. Its just then a matter of making your firmware in the 328p emulate the same protocol and drive your mini nixies. You need to compile the marlin in the printrboard to use a different graphics system but thats just a recompile with a diffetent set of defines.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Re: Building a custom display?

Postby q__ » 2015-Jan-Wed-10-Jan

I did some digging last night and was going through the firmware on github.
I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out at some point.
I'm feeling better about it now than I was before, though.
I got pretty familiar with i2c not too long ago, so that's more good news!

I actually forgot that the firmware is open-source :roll:
I was expecting to have to do a lot of random data de-scrambling and trial-and-error!

q__
Loading filament...

Return to Hack talk