[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - [SOLVED] Firmware Update for Windows users

[SOLVED] Firmware Update for Windows users

Code hacking talk

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Thu-10-Jan

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Firmware Update for Windows users? HELP!

Postby PxT » 2014-Jan-Thu-12-Jan

PxT
Print complete...

Re: [SOLVED] Firmware Update for Windows users

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Thu-15-Jan

Rewrote the original post to show the solution.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Thu-15-Jan

Ouch! Spoke too soon. The old version 0022 will compile the Unified software. The new version spits out a ton of warnings and a few Errors - so no hex file is created. :(

NOTE: See Original post for the latest misadventures...

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Re: Firmware Update for Windows users NOT solved - HELP!

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Fri-11-Jan

New post to refresh and make this show up. But the OP is completely rewritten and describes the problem.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mochaboy » 2014-Jan-Fri-12-Jan

eek...

The reason you get that 9 x out of 10 is because of conflicting libraries.

I'm sorry if you mentioned this earlier but did you start from a zero'd out install? Uninstall - delete old libraries - install fresh?

Octoprint + Raspberry Pi Wireless Printer Server
Printrbot Jr born 6/13
Brass M8 Threaded Z Rod
Tool less belt tensioners
Aluminum print plate
GT2 Timing Belt and 20T aluminum pulleys

Mochaboy
Print winner 1st
Print winner 1st

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Fri-12-Jan

I did completely uninstall Arduino before reinstalling. There was no Program Files(x86)/Arduino directory when I started the latest install.

Are the libraries somewhere else? For Unified Marlin, I'm using a set of files that I downloaded from Github as a zip file, and I unzipped them. I didn't do anything else but put them in a directory where I can find them.

It seems strange that version 0022 always seems to work for me but I can't get the newer one to work. Why would the new one have trouble finding #included files when the old version has no trouble?

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2014-Jan-Fri-12-Jan

I think the step you are missing is to rename the cores\teensy directory that Teensyduino creates.

I just did the following on my Mac and it worked, the equivalent on Windows should get you going:

* Download Arduino 1.05 From
* Download Teensyduino from
* Run the Teensyduino installer, don't install the extra libraries if it prompts
* Find the hardware\teensy directory inside your Arduino install (on a Mac this is usually /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/teensy, on Windows it will likely be something like c:\Arduino\hardware\teensy)
* Download http://blog.lincomatic.com/wp-content/u ... 286txt.zip and copy the programmers.txt and boards.txt files to the above directory (or take them from the older pre-configured Arduino install).
* Inside the above directory find the cores\teensy directory and rename it to cores\at90usb1286
* Launch Arduino, select either of the printrboard options from the Boards menu, click Verify to compile

PxT
Print complete...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Fri-13-Jan

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2014-Jan-Fri-14-Jan

PxT
Print complete...

Postby pomonabill221 » 2014-Jan-Mon-22-Jan

In my testing to make sure things are working, I select the usbtinyisp AT90USB1286 for the board, usbtinyisp for the programmer (usb tiny in circuit programmer).
I open marlin.pde and click on verify (check mark).
It goes through the compiling process with several tabs open (blink, blinkm, configuration, configuration store, and several others) (is this correct because the pde needs to load these libraries?).
NOW... how do I create the hex file to upload using Flip? or how does the hex file get generated? or do I just select upload under file menu in arduino?
It would be nice to create a hex file so I don't have to go through this each time...
Is the marlin-marlinv1 the correct generic firmware for the PBplus v2? I did get an error that I had the wrong board, so I changed the board type to 81 (it was 1 for the makerbot).
Also, how would I go about adding the autolevel feature to the firmware in my printer? I don't want to do this until I am comfortable updating the firmware.

PBplus V2 kit.
* Modded power supply (my own)
* heavier power cable (#12) and connector (Cinch-Jones 2 pin) as 4 pin ATX was getting hot!
* extruder and heated bed indicators on bot.. I like to know
* cable dressing using ideas from other members and my own
* machined Z axis couplers.. my own design
* filament guide tubing (drip sprinkler tubing).. keeps filament from possible tangling
* flat washers under ALL screw heads.. spreads out force over wood
* Al machined printbed, opto limit switches on ALL axis, Acme Z lead screws
* Highly modified printbed/stiffened
* Dual Z axis limit switches (selectable) for glass or aluminum bed
* Illuminated extruder with 2 white leds
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
* RAMPS board with graphic display
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby thawkins » 2014-Jan-Tue-00-Jan

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby pomonabill221 » 2014-Jan-Tue-00-Jan

Thanks Thawkins!
I am running win7 64.. I found a possible hex file.... marlin.cpp.hex under users\e6500\appdata\local\temp\build29400342775130679.tmp....WOW why can't the ide save the hex file in a simpler location????

Also, the header,elf,epp,cpp,etc. files are there, but I would imagine the .cpp.hex file is what I want? It is 157k in size.

Last edited by pomonabill221 on 2014-Jan-Wed-15-Jan, edited 1 time in total.
PBplus V2 kit.
* heavier power cable (#12) and connector (Cinch-Jones 2 pin) as 4 pin ATX was getting hot!
* filament guide tubing (drip sprinkler tubing).. keeps filament from possible tangling
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Tue-10-Jan

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Tue-12-Jan

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby pomonabill221 » 2014-Jan-Wed-01-Jan

PBplus V2 kit.
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

PBplus V2 kit.
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

PBplus V2 kit.
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Wed-09-Jan

I'm speculating here, but I think that by installing the Teensy package on top of (or into) the Arduino package, we provide "libraries" of subroutines that are needed for the Printrboard, and / or definitions of "pins" etc.

The Arduino family of hobbyist boards is based on chips from Atmel, but there are several CPU chips available, with different features and different numbers of pins on the chip. The Arduino software package tries to "hide" some of these details from the users by having their own set of pin definitions which is supposed to be constant. But to achieve the very high pulse rates needed by stepper motors and proportional heaters, the Teensy developers added to the Aduino library. Somewhere in there is a package called "fastio."

So the Teensy library may or may not have anything to do with USB communications or bootloaders.

The real experts in this field are PxT and lwalkera.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby pomonabill221 » 2014-Jan-Wed-15-Jan

Thank You Jay for your response! Yes that makes sense since teensy isn't used for anything else.
In my looking around, I did see at least the pins.h library and definition, so that makes sense.
It did confuse me as to why all three packages were installed when all that we use is the arduino and flip.

I know that since the experts do mention some steps, some of us that haven't done much of this before (ME) are confused when the info is kinda scattered... I have bounced around several threads trying to put it together and my paranoia of "just try it" keeps me from trying it since I know that it is all too easy to brick things if not done correctly!

There is great info here, and tons of great help... just need to see if it can be put in one place with a little more detail.

(This is NOT a rant/complaint (sort of)/whinning... so please don't take it that way.) I am just trying to get my info straight and complete.
Thanks!

PBplus V2 kit.
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Jan-Wed-15-Jan

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby pomonabill221 » 2014-Jan-Wed-15-Jan

PBplus V2 kit.
* NOW with AUTOLEVEL!!!!
pomonabill221
Solid infill...

Postby Hoverhead » 2014-Jan-Tue-01-Jan

Hoverhead
Levelling print bed...

Postby Hoverhead » 2014-Jan-Tue-19-Jan

Hoverhead
Levelling print bed...

Postby PxT » 2014-Jan-Wed-01-Jan

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Nickies08 » 2014-Feb-Wed-21-Feb

I can't get my drivers to install. I get this warning every time I go to device manager and try to update the driver:Image

I use to have no issue getting the Arduino to work on my Makerfarm Printrboard but now that I installed my new Printrbot Printrboard, I cannot get either Amtel Flip or Arduino to work due to the lack of USB drivers

Printrbot Plus V2.0
Aluminum bearing blocks
Aluminum Build Plate
Robotdigg custom Nema 17 motors with 500mm T8*8 Acme Rods on Z-axis (19" of print height)
Wire extensions to accommodate extra build height
GT2 Belts and Pulleys
Nickies08
Solid infill...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Feb-Wed-21-Feb

I explain how to install the driver for FLIP (used to flash the program) in the wiki article pointed to by this post: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6257

The procedure for installing the "teensy" driver for use by Repetier and Pronterface is written up in the Getting Started Guide on Printrbot's web site.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Nickies08 » 2014-Feb-Thu-13-Feb

I did the step of going into device manager, selecting the USB device and telling it to install the driver from the Flip directory. That warning I get is the result. I even have a secondary set of drivers in another folder which I got from AVS freaks but I get the same result. I don't know how to overcome "the directory name is invalid"

Printrbot Plus V2.0
Aluminum bearing blocks
Aluminum Build Plate
Robotdigg custom Nema 17 motors with 500mm T8*8 Acme Rods on Z-axis (19" of print height)
Wire extensions to accommodate extra build height
GT2 Belts and Pulleys
Nickies08
Solid infill...

Postby RetireeJay » 2014-Feb-Thu-13-Feb

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Hack talk