E3D install: Error message when compiling firmware file

Code hacking talk

Postby jdb257 » 2015-Jul-Tue-02-Jul

Hey All,

I've just installed an E3D hot end on my LC+ and I have been following this guide(http://thisoldspoon.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... -os-x.html) and a few others that were necesary to setup teensyduino. I am to the firmware section and I have edited the line of code to change the Temp_Sensor setting for the new thermistor, that wasn't a problem. Once I saved the file, and tried to compile it I received an error message that I have no clue what it means and was hoping someone could help me out. Any info would be appreciated! my guess is it is something I have overlooked somehwere along the way when setting up the Arduino IDE/Teensyduino software. Thanks for your help!

Error_Message.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdb257
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: E3D install: Error message when compiling firmware file

Postby PxT » 2015-Jul-Tue-10-Jul

It looks like something is wrong with your Arduino installation. Try to reinstall it like so (adapted from RetireeJay's writeup on the wiki which is currently unavailable):

• Download Arduino 1.05 From https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/OldSoftw ... ases#1.0.x Follow the installation instructions. Note the address where the program is stored. This is probably

C:\\Program Files(x86)\Arduino
    (If it’s different, then apply the appropriate changes to directories mentioned below.)

NOTE: This IS done with a Windows “Installer” so you will get your desktop and Start menu icons. You still may need to set up file associations.
  • Download Teensyduino from the “download and install” link at http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html Follow the installation instructions, referring to the Arduino program directory if asked. (Note: You MUST have the Arduino system installed first.) You will be asked if you want to install a USB driver; it’s safe to say yes to this. You will also be asked if you want to install any of several libraries; do NOT install any of them. When you tell the installation to proceed, it will take quite a long time to complete the installation; be patient.
  • Download http://blog.lincomatic.com/wp-content/u ... 286txt.zip Unzip the file and you will find three files inside, “boards.txt,” “boards.txt.nopjrc,” and “programmers.txt.” Copy the files from this download into the

C:\\Program Files(x86)/Arduino/hardware/teensy
    directory, overwriting the original "boards.txt"
  • Rename the directory

c:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy
    to

c:\Program Files(x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\at90usb1286.
    You should now have a working Arduino IDE which can be used to compile code for the Printrboard.

Note that the above instructions are for Arduino 1.0.5. You might be able to adapt them to newer releases, but 1.0.5 is known to work so I would start with that.

PxT
Print complete...

Re: E3D intsall: Error message when compling firmware file

Postby jdb257 » 2015-Jul-Tue-10-Jul

thanks for the feedback! I will try that and hope for the best. I noticed I was getting the same errors with all files when compiling so my guess is a reinstall might do the trick as I could have some folders not in the right directory or something similar.

jdb257
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Jul-Tue-10-Jul

Are you on a Windows or a Mac?
I've posted the raw text file of my Wiki article about doing a Firmware Upgrade on a Windows computer as an attached RTF file here.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jdb257 » 2015-Jul-Tue-14-Jul

Yes, I am on a PC.

Just downloaded the attachment you provided in your writeup and the instructions are pretty much identical to what was posted previously, no?

Here is what I've done so far...I was previously using Arduino 1.6.4 and tried 1.6.5-r2 and got the same results. Then I went back to 1.0.5, which is what RetireeJay's writeup is based on and when I ran Teensyduino, it wouldn't recognize the directory in Program Files that I installed the Arduino software...hmm.. I tried again, same results. Then I noticed on the Teensyduino 1.24 installation exe that the earliest compatible version of the IDE that it is compatible with is 1.0.6. so now I will retry with that version...

might be easier to just buy the thermister for the Ubis :D

jdb257
Loading filament...

Postby jdb257 » 2015-Jul-Tue-15-Jul

compile success! worked without a hitch on 1.0.6 as far as I can tell - Now i will follow the steps to flash the file.

jdb257
Loading filament...

Return to Hack talk