Is it possible to use Lin_advance on a Printrbot?

Code hacking talk

Postby musk » 2017-Mar-Wed-17-Mar

I'd like to use the lin_advance feature of modern marlin to better control pressure in the nozzle. I'm not skilled at firmware matters, and from my simple understanding Printrbot's firmware isn't really based on an up-to-date version of Marlin. I've also heard that alot of Marlin stuff needs to be removed in order to fit it onto the printrboard. Sorry if that's not accurate. :)

Is it possible to get that lin_advance feature somehow? Can I even maintain the new LED control stuff that Printrbot has made? I have no idea how to do it yet, but hopefully one of you experienced guys can give a little advice or point me in the right direction.

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is it possible to use Lin_advance on a Printrbot?

Postby PxT » 2017-Mar-Thu-15-Mar

It's possible but the level of effort will be quite high. If you have a programming or technical background it should be achievable, but if not then you have a steep learning curve ahead.

I would start by taking the latest Marlin release that has your desired feature and get comfortable with building it. Don't worry about the printrboard at first, just get it building - that should be fairly easy. Then start configuring it to run on a printrboard. Some of the changes are already there in the upstream source but others (like pin definitions) you might need to cherry-pick from Printrbot's GitHub and figure out a way to patch them into the current source tree. Good luck!

PxT
Print complete...

Postby musk » 2017-Mar-Thu-18-Mar

Thanks for the advice PxT!

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby PxT » 2017-Mar-Fri-11-Mar

So you made me curious - I grabbed v1.1.0 RC8 which is the latest (pre-)release version of Marlin and dropped it into Arduino. It looks like they already have good pre-built definitions for both the early Printrboard (rev A-D) and the newer rev F. It even compiles out of the box! So it may turn out to be easier than I thought. I haven't yet gone as far as flashing it onto a board although I do have a spare printrboard sitting around and enough spare parts that I could probably give it a pretty good test if I find time.

If you go further with this you will certainly want to go through Configuration.h and carefully read through the various settings to make sure you have it set up the way you want and in a way that makes sense for the available hardware. If the board definitions are actually accurate (and you have a bit of luck) then there may not be much more to it than that.

PxT
Print complete...

Return to Hack talk