The printed LM8UUBlock caps turned out interesting in softPLA. They might even have enough give to allow me to get a nut on them using m3-40's, though they came out like stiff rubber, a bit firmer than I expected. If not, I've got enough zip-ties to try doubling in the way suggested, and if that doesn't work well, I'll receive my m3-45mm screws tomorrow. I think I have the bearing cap situation more or less covered, but thanks for the tip w.r.t. doubling zip-ties, that one didn't occur to me.
(edit) While they do offer flex, and might help with a different alignment issue because of that flex, they don't flex enough to give an m3-40 clearance for a nut on the end. OTOH, the m3-45s should address the issue of enough clearance to attach a nut.
Speaking of clearance issues, did anyone else have a hard time getting the Y endstop positioned properly in the "side notch" as shown in the diagram? I found it near impossible to get enough clearance to screw down the small endstop screws due to the odd shape of the "notch" where the endstop sits. I considered just putting it on the same side as the pulleys, but it looked like it would get in the way of the belt on that side.
BTW, Jon, you might want to change the shape of the plastic perimeter around where the Y endstop sits, to give builders more clearance to get at the endstop screws. Alternately, you could move the Y endstop screw holes further back so that builders can directly access the screws (I had to use pliers to turn the screws, not fun, nor was getting them seated in the first place). Just a suggestion, as is I found it very difficult to get the Y endstop screwed down per the diagram.
Last edited by jwiede
on 2014-May-Thu-14-May, edited 3 times in total.