Z rod lower stabilizers

Talk about modifications to the printer

Z rod lower stabilizers

Postby nexus7fan » 2012-Dec-Thu-09-Dec

mikemwa53 wrote:
100_0216.JPG
I've had my Plus since late spring and have done many modifications to it since. It works great and I'm very happy with it.

Your green support structure looks awesome. Could you give me some information about it please? And I also realized that your z nut is also modified. Great job!

nexus7fan
Waiting to connect to printer...

Z rod lower stabilizers

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New hardware forum! Show off your Printrbot...

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Dec-Thu-17-Dec

Your green support structure looks awesome. Could you give me some information about it please?

the green support structures for teh Z-Axis -- are they on thingiverse?

Thanks. They really work great. The Z rods are solid as a rock. Their not on Thingiverse yet. I need to get the exact position for the holes These are off a little.
I have attached the file here for anyone that wants to use them. You will need to enlarge or Dremel the holes out so they fit.
Make sure the large hole for the rod is a press fit so the rod can't move.
As you can see my bed is raised. You may need to modify or adjust your Z Stop screw so the bearings don't touch the Stabilizers.
And I also realized that your z nut is also modified. Great job!

These also work great. I'd like to get them on Thingiverse to when I get time.

Let me know how they work out for you.

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

Montgomery, IL. USA
mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Re: New hardware forum! Show off your Printrbot...

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Dec-Sun-22-Dec

OOOOPPPPPSS. I forgot to attach the file. It's there now. I will also have it up on thingiverse soon. Thanks to nexus7fan for pointing it out.
I would print these at 100% infill to make the parts as strong as possible.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

Montgomery, IL. USA
mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Re: Z rod lower stabilizers

Postby plexus » 2012-Dec-Mon-20-Dec

I tried out your lower stabilizers. nice design. i had to chop off 8mm off the length of the sleeve. i didn't want to bother raising my bed 8mm. i had to cut off 8mm and also take the notch out of the back for the bearing board. i could have done with just 7mm but there it is. they wont be as effective but at least they will help. i found the bolt holes ok - i didn't have to file any out, just do one bolt at a time and shift the plate around to get the bolts in. what i did to help with stability is dip them both in acetone and let thoroughly dry. they werent tight on the rods but no play. so i coated the inside of the sleeve with a layer of CA glue using a q tip. that worked.

my only feedback is to make the rod hole slightly smaller than 12mm and have it drilled out. this is only effective if the sleeve fits tight and everyone print is going to be different down to those tolerances. so make is a little smaller and ensure people know they need to drill it out.

if you put this on thingiverse it would be good to include the source file so people can modify it for their printer. if not then post instructions on how to change the length of the sleeve. its possible to do with some editing of the gcode.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Dec-Mon-22-Dec

Thanks for the input. Glad they worked out. My 12mm rods went in good and tight. Everyone's printer is going to print a little different. I can make the hole a tad bit smaller so people can clean it out to fit right. I'll probably have a few different ones posted with different heights and also the Sketchup files.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

Montgomery, IL. USA
mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Postby plexus » 2012-Dec-Mon-22-Dec

oh and a bead of plastic around where the sleeve meets the base. i dont use sketchup but parametrically its just a right angle triangle boss sweep. that would really help stability.

I am also sitting here looking at them installed and wondering if it might be a good idea to put a drop of CA glue around the sleeve where it meets the rod? i know it sounds extreme but would it not really hold the z rods more stable? anchored to the base bolted with 4 bolts. might be worth considering,

plexus
Site Admin

Postby mikemwa53 » 2012-Dec-Tue-18-Dec

The stabilizers are up on Thingiverse.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38143

Plexus...I didn't change the part at this point because 1. Don't have the time. 2. Not sure how to do it without starting all over. 3. Not sure it will make any/much difference. If there are problems with it though I will change it. Once everything is lined up the CA glue would be a good idea.

Sooooo much to do
Sooooo Little time!!!

Montgomery, IL. USA
mikemwa53
ACME leadscrew

Return to Mod talk