[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Replacing the sensor with a BLTouch

Replacing the sensor with a BLTouch

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby AgentTDM » 2017-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

Is there any way possible to modify the firmware of a Printrbot Simple Metal to where its board (Mine is a Rev F4) can use a BLTouch? If it's just a case of the board not being able to supply enough power, I can always power the sensor using one of the 5v wires on my ATX supply. I added a BLTouch to one of my other printers a while back and it has done very well.

AgentTDM
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Replacing the sensor with a BLTouch

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Oct-Fri-01-Oct

For the most part there really isn't a good reason to go from the inductive sensor to the BLTouch. If your inductive isn't working properly, fix it. The BLTouch isn't without it's own set of problems.

cbxbiker61
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby AgentTDM » 2017-Oct-Fri-02-Oct

AgentTDM
Loading filament...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Oct-Fri-03-Oct

Anything is possible with the board...it does have an expansion bus. Best of luck hacking the firmware.

cbxbiker61

Postby AgentTDM » 2017-Oct-Fri-07-Oct

AgentTDM
Loading filament...

Postby TutherJay » 2018-Feb-Wed-19-Feb

Well, I see this is growing stale, but I _WAS_ rather hoping to find more activity on this, as I just got one for my old Plus (which didn't come with a sensor in the first place, as yours did). So in my case I also have a plenty good reason, I believe, to wax brave and hopeful.

Apparently nobody else has anything to offer, but I am curious if you've found a way to insert tab B into slot A, as they say??? Or are you still interested, or did you move in another direction??

Tweaking Marlin shouldn't be that tough, I wouldn't think, but perhaps that's optomistic. It's certainly not an unexplored, undocumented, stab in the dark as some seem to believe! At least it's not obfuscated by a serious language barrier, as with the BLTouch documentation, eh?

Hope you've mastered it - whether or not it helps me.

TutherJay
PrintRbot+ v2 built from kit, hatched Sept 9, 2013
PowerTower & RPi/OctoPrint kits added
Repetier/Slic3r mostly; sometimes RPi:OctoPrint
1.75mm via direct drive gear head extruder
(temporarily abandoning Bowden mod - Bridge wouldn't fit thru)
E3D v5 hotend w/ Volcano Eruption upgrade
Stock LC ply bed now adjusted by 3 points, not 4
6mm heated glass (non-borosilicate) (now missing divot from BluPrint adhering TOO well)
<sigh>
TutherJay

Return to Mod talk