J-Head doesn't pass filament all the way through

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby hugerobots » 2017-Apr-Sat-19-Apr

Picked up a V6 E3D hotend and it hooked in nicely to my RevD board.

Getting it up to temp was fine, although fan isn't working... but what got me was that filament wasn't coming out once set properly into the extruder mount (original Wade setup) and filament set properly against the hobbed bolt and fed into the top hotend part.

I took the J-Head out, disassembled it to ensure there were no clogs and sure enough it's brand spankin new. But when passing filament through the heatsink/topend part, filament hits a butt end stop and won't pass all the way through. Passing filament into it from the other end goes through but again hits a hard stop. There's light going through it so the hole does go all the way through. Measuring the entire length of the part gives me 50cm. The blocked gap seems to be about 1cm after measuring how far filament can travel in it from either end.

Surely this isn't supposed to work like this. Should I just drill it out? Or am I missing something there...

edit: additional detail

hugerobots
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: J-Head doesn't pass filament all the way through

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Apr-Sun-08-Apr

Well, to start with, which hot end are we talking about: the J-Head or the E3D? They are not the same.
Assuming you are in fact talking about the E3D V6, have you looked at the assembly instructions here?

Is your unit designed to have the PTFE tube inside? And if so, have you installed it?

I found on my E3D V5 that the bore of the heatsink was not perfectly aligned with the bore of the stainless-steel heat break, but I could minimize the problem by using a particular rotation of the heatsink relative to the heat break. You could investigate this problem with a small-gauge wire (a straightened-out paperclip?), probing to see if the "shoulder" you are running into with the filament is on just one side of the bore. Then you might be able to rotate the heatsink relative to the heat break to minimize or eliminate the "shoulder" that's blocking the filament moving.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby hugerobots » 2017-Apr-Sun-11-Apr

Oh my mistake! It's a V6 e3d. Will check out your advice and ensure a minimal shoulder ridge.

Thanks J.

hugerobots

Postby hugerobots » 2017-Apr-Sun-14-Apr

Thanks for the link. I disassembled the part and it seems like the dowel connecting heat sink to the heater cartridge isn't drilled through. There's a bottleneck that's sized for 1.75... Goes to show that after market parts are a bad bet.

Drilling it through now.

Link for anyone that's wondering where it was purchased:
[3D CAM] All Metal Hot End V6 for RepRap 3D Printer Bowden Extruder 3.0mm Filament 0.5mm Nozzle 12V 40W Heater https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B013Z36EOY/ref ... 6ybN492A2G

hugerobots

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Apr-Sun-14-Apr

Yeah, a 1.75mm bore is gonna be a tight fit for 3mm filament! You must have some nice equipment in your shop if you can hold on to that tiny, threaded, stainless steel part and drill it out to 3mm without hurting the threads or doing some other kind of damage. :)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby hugerobots » 2017-Apr-Sun-14-Apr

A little luck and few generations of tinkerers have left me with some pretty nifty tools and A LOT of patience haha.

Thanks again J. For the above advice and keeping this place thriving after my years of hiatus :D

hugerobots

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Apr-Mon-12-Apr

If the drilling fails you can get both aftermarket and "real" E3D heatbreaks from the usual sources.

I recently watched a youtube video on DIY collets for just your problem - chuck up a piece of aluminum (or similar softish material), drill the proper sized hole, slot it, stick in the part, and clamp it down with the chuck. You might even be able to tap it with the same thread and give yourself some extra protection.

After that lead-in you owe us some pictures!

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Mod talk