Rev F5 question

Talk about modifications to the printer

Rev F5 question

Postby spenceju » 2017-Mar-Fri-17-Mar

Hi,

1. Does anyone know how much current this board can handle if I add a heated bed to my printrbot play? I've heard that most boards are around 10-15 amps but I can't find this info anywhere.

2. Does anyone know if this board has the equivalent of PS-ON pins that allow octoprint/raspberry pi to turn on and off an ATX power supply? I'm looking at the board and see some pins but none that are labeled PS-ON like on a RAMPS board.

Thanks, I appreciate any help

spenceju
Waiting to connect to printer...

Rev F5 question

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rev F5 question

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Apr-Sun-12-Apr

By "this board" I assume you mean a Printrboard. Yes, Printrboards can handle the current for heated beds used with Printrbot printers. Some clone boards have inferior copper plating on the board, but boards you buy from Printrbot have good high-current capability.

When you drop the ATX power supply coming in to a Printrboard, the board is pretty much powered down. (Some circuits can still get power from a USB connection, but not many.) So I'm not quite sure how you would tell a Printrboard to activate the "on" circuit for an ATX power supply once it's been turned off. The command exists in Marlin, but it's not clear which, if any, pin it maps to on the Printrboard.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2017-Apr-Sun-15-Apr

RetireeJay wrote: The command exists in Marlin, but it's not clear which, if any, pin it maps to on the Printrboard.

The Printrbot fork of Marlin does not define this pin (PS_ON) at all so the M80 command becomes a no-op. M81 still works to turn off all the steppers, heaters & fans but it won't do anything to the power supply.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby blort » 2017-Apr-Mon-21-Apr

if you are doing octoprint on a pi, the raspi is actually the component that triggers atxpsu on/off.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby spenceju » 2017-Apr-Tue-22-Apr

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Yes I was asking about a printrboard, I should have made that more clear. I read in a previous thread, "If you try to draw too much current through the Heated Bed connector on the Printrboard, the connector will overheat. The connector can handle about 12A safely (when you use all 4 pins)." This may have been referring to a Rev E and not a Rev F version of the printrboard. I noticed the heated bed upgrade being sold by printrbot is 20A. It seems safe to assume this is how much the printrboard Rev F can handle. I've since learned I can use a solid state relay to use as much current as I want.

It is true that the raspi is the component that triggers atxpsu on/off when using octoprint. It looks like using PS_ON isn't possible with the printrboard. Perhaps it's possible to write a program on the raspi that recognizes when octoprint is sent a .stl file and have it switch a relay that is connected to the atxpsu

spenceju
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Apr-Wed-06-Apr

spenceju wrote:I read in a previous thread, "If you try to draw too much current through the Heated Bed connector on the Printrboard, the connector will overheat. The connector can handle about 12A safely (when you use all 4 pins)." This may have been referring to a Rev E and not a Rev F version of the printrboard. I noticed the heated bed upgrade being sold by printrbot is 20A. It seems safe to assume this is how much the printrboard Rev F can handle. I've since learned I can use a solid state relay to use as much current as I want.

Correct. (BTW, there was never a Rev E in production; the predecessor to Rev F was Rev D.) The screw terminals on the Rev F board should be good for 20A. There are several threads in the forum that discuss exactly how to implement an external SSR.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Mod talk