Simple Metal X-Axis upgrade heater

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby DavidYon47 » 2017-Mar-Thu-10-Mar

I may be missing something, but seems like putting a 6x6 heater under a 6x10 chunk of aluminum is not going to work out well, especially for the 2" on each side. Certainly seems like ABS would be off the table (literally) if it started to get too far from center. Anyone have experience with this?

For my purposes it might be ok as I just acquired a Palette 4-color filament preprocessor, which has to make a "transition tower" off to the side to purge the hotend for color changes. Which effectively shrinks the usable size of the bed. The extra 4" would be just the trick to get things back to a full 6x6 printing area.

DavidYon47
Levelling print bed...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simple Metal X-Axis upgrade heater

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Mar-Thu-10-Mar

Aluminum conducts heat pretty well (think of your aluminum griddle with the heating element that only goes around the outside, like the one under your Pancakebot), so you might be better off than you think.

The cooling tower should work regardless, doesn't really matter if it sticks as long as it doesn't fall over on the print.

That's the (pretty spendy) Kickstart thing, right? Looks like they actually shipped to their backers (looking at you, TIko) and are now selling to non-KS customers. I'd have looked further, but the cutesy popover sliding window javas**t site just made me nauseous. Have you actually received it? Are you willing to keep us informed about how it works, maybe do a review here?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby AZBotr » 2017-Mar-Thu-21-Mar

I did this upgrade and haven't had any problems with that, and I had the same concerns you did. I did however have to loosen the screws on the PCB mount because it was causing some flex on the build plate when it kicked on and off causing z ripples. After I loosened the screws to let it "float" the problem went away.

-Mike

AZBotr
Loading filament...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Mar-Fri-13-Mar

Loosening the screws, possibly with changing the holes to slots, is a great idea. It's common in wood working, like hot aluminum wood likes to move, although it's caused by humidity and not thermal expansion.

Did you do anything to keep pressure on the board to improve the heat transfer into the aluminum?

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby AZBotr » 2017-Mar-Fri-21-Mar

Mooselake wrote:Did you do anything to keep pressure on the board to improve the heat transfer into the aluminum?

Nothing special done, really. I just had them on really tight at first so I cracked each of them just enough so I could barely wiggle the board. It was just an experiment to see if that was what caused my z ripples and it worked so I haven't messed with it since...lol (ain't broke, don't fix kind of thing)

Cheers -Mike

AZBotr
Loading filament...

Postby DavidYon47 » 2017-Mar-Tue-23-Mar

Mooselake wrote:Aluminum conducts heat pretty well (think of your aluminum griddle with the heating element that only goes around the outside, like the one under your Pancakebot), so you might be better off than you think.

The cooling tower should work regardless, doesn't really matter if it sticks as long as it doesn't fall over on the print.

That's the (pretty spendy) Kickstart thing, right? Looks like they actually shipped to their backers (looking at you, TIko) and are now selling to non-KS customers. I'd have looked further, but the cutesy popover sliding window javas**t site just made me nauseous. Have you actually received it? Are you willing to keep us informed about how it works, maybe do a review here?

Kirk

Thanks for the feedback---good to know that it may not be the compromise that I feared. At the moment I'll probably hold off as I've invested some money (and time) in the Printrbot and will see if having an expanded bed is at the top of the list for the next round of upgrades. That's neck-and-neck with the upgraded hotend I suspect.

The Palette wasn't cheap ($700ish) but it compares favorably with alternative ways of getting four-color printing in both price and mechanical tradeoffs. It's been a fair amount of work getting it dialed in, but a lot of that was due to slop in the printer that was long overdue in correcting. Once I did that I've had pretty good luck, and the impact of multicolor printing is not to be underestimated.

To be brutally honest it's somewhat of a beta product, the next step up from a prototype. But they are working out the kinks and some of the limitations, and have been very responsive to my feedback. That said, the prototype-ish attributes are compensated by it being pretty solid where it counts: the mechanicals and precision of the filament path. So far I'm not unhappy that I invested in it. Hopefully they can build a successful company that will be around awhile, that's probably the bigger risk, and not unique to them amongst other KickStarter ventures.

DavidYon47
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Mar-Wed-08-Mar

One of our members had a successful KS project, went silent for a while, then announced that while he's planning to deliver to all his backers he spent a lot of his own money and will shut down his company when it's done. Going from a working prototype is far harder than most people think. Look at Tiko's failure.

Keep us updated on how it works.

Now you can spend that money on a pancakebot! Just don't mention it to the SO first...

Kirk

Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Mod talk