Talk about modifications to the printer

Connecting a hotend fan to a Simple Metal

Postby Zaz » 2017-Jan-Tue-10-Jan

TL;DR:

I wish to connect one of these
1.jpg

to one of these
2.jpg

without having to solder anything. Is there a way for me to crimp my own converter? I'm not sure what the connectors are called which makes it hard to google for parts.

Longer explanation:

I'm currently installing a E3D v6 hotend in my Simple Metal, and I need to figure out how to connect the cooling fan.

My printrboard is rev F5, so there is no connector on it available. The existing guides all seem to suggest variants of soldering the fan onto the power cables, but that method makes me feel uneasy. Instead I'm hoping for a way that includes crimping the relevant connectors to a short piece of cable, making my own converter.

My problem is that I don't know what connectors I'm looking for. I'm guessing the first one is a PCI-E Power female. The second one I dont know the name of at all. Molex 2 pin male?

My end goal includes a mosfet and one of the ext pins on the printrboard, is there a good way to connect cables to the mosfet without having to solder?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zaz
Waiting to connect to printer...

Connecting a hotend fan to a Simple Metal

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Connecting a hotend fan to a Simple Metal

Postby blort » 2017-Jan-Tue-12-Jan

I use a SATA hard drive power to ATA power converter cable. then I chopped it and spliced the JST (black rectangle) connector for the fan. then, when the power supply is on, the fan is on.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Tue-17-Jan

You can also use a two pin fan extender cable, strip a bit of the insulation off both a yellow and black wire, cut and strip the pointy end of the extender cable, twist the fan wires (red to yellow, black to black) over the stripped power cable sections, then (since you said no soldering) tape them up with a good (I like Scotch 33) electrical tape to keep the magic smoke in. Plug in the fan, fire up the juice, and watch it spin.

Isn't there already provision on the F<whatever> Printrboard to turn the hotend fan off and on? The one on my AMU is an annoying high pitched little bugger. Alas, I have a rev B

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby Zaz » 2017-Jan-Wed-03-Jan

Mooselake wrote:Isn't there already provision on the F<whatever> Printrboard to turn the hotend fan off and on?

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but the E3D v6 adds a second fan that cools the actual hotend, whereas I suspect you are talking about the fan that is supposed to cool the printed plastic? The revision of the printrboard that I have only have pins for one fan (later revisions support both), but there is supposedly support available in the firmware to use an ext pin to turn the hotend cooling fan on and off depending on the hotend temperature.

Zaz
Waiting to connect to printer...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jan-Wed-08-Jan

If you have an ATX power supply, you have plenty of unused plugs where you can pick up 12V for your fan. It will be steady, not switched, of course - but that's what E3D recommends.

Crimping the right connector onto the wires is an honorable thing to do, but it does take quite a bit of research to find the exact right connector and the corresponding metal inserts. And to do it right, you need a crimping tool that will cost at least $30 and perhaps significantly more.

There are some connector specifications and crimping instructions in this post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4567

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jan-Wed-11-Jan

If you're careful you can successfully crimp connectors with a pair of pliers, but now you're into the same level of skill as basic soldering.

I have a toolbox full of different style crimpers and replaceable jaws, ranging from AMP professional aircraft crimpers to stamped steel ones with depressions in the handles (tool junkie...). Around ten bucks can get a fair quality ratcheting crimper with replaceable dies from eBay and the middle kingdom guys, or a couple bucks more from Amazon. For a one-off single shot, lots of people go with twisting bare wires, for a little extra security you can open up stranded wire and stick the twisted one inside. Not as secure as soldering or crimping (which done right is better than soldering), and something I'd only do as a temporary fix at the back of the hay field, but if you skills and tools are limited...

I've gotten a number of fans that came with an inline 4 pin molex adapter, don't know if they still do that but it's another option. Here's a random picture

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2017-Jan-Wed-15-Jan

Mooselake wrote:If you're careful you can successfully crimp connectors with a pair of pliers, but now you're into the same level of skill as basic soldering.

I'd agree that you can crimp wires together that way, using a double-ended crimpable connector (the type that comes pre-insulated and does one wire at a time).

But to crimp a wire to a metal pin or socket that you are then expecting to successfully insert into the back end of one of those connector shells... well that's another matter. Even when I use my "pro" crimping tool I don't always end up with a crimp that is perfectly shaped to fit into the connector like this.
CrimpedConnector.jpg

It can be maddening. And with a pair of pliers you're going to get a crimp that is broad and flat, way too wide to fit in the connector. And trying to crimp and then shape by squeezing the sides just opens up the crimp and invites metal fatigue (i.e. it'll break before you ever get the shape perfect).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby blort » 2017-Mar-Sun-17-Mar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Union_splice

no solder wire joins. wrap with elec tape or better yet heat shrink and you can cobble together all kinds of adapters out of prefabbed connectors.

blort
Levelling print bed...

Return to Mod talk