Easiest way to add LED light and to tap power

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby FourthDr » 2016-May-Tue-15-May

Hi:

My Printrbot simple metal is located in a poorly lit area. So I was thinking of adding some LED lighting to illuminate the print bed so it is easier to see the objects being printed. Naturally one of the first places I looked for ideas was Thingiverse. Where I found many different models for LED lighting that can be attached to the Printrbot simple. The only problem is non of the designs mentions where is the best place/way to tap power for the LED lights. And optionally to be able to enable/disable the LED lighting via software control. But if that is not easily possible, I can live with a manual switch. Can anyone offer a solution? I don't think Printrbot offers this as an upgrade.

FourthDr
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Easiest way to add LED light and to tap power

Postby musk » 2016-May-Tue-18-May

Use the Ubis13 instllation guide which shows how to grab a constant +12v from the circuit board. (12v is used for the hotend fan which was required on that hotend.)

https://printrbot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... ot_End.pdf

Printrbot Metal Plus (2x)
Printrbot Simple Metal (2x)
musk
Solid infill...

Postby FourthDr » 2016-Jun-Wed-02-Jun

Hi musk:

What if I already have a hotend with a fan connected? Then what? Just tap off of the same 12v fan power source?

FourthDr

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jun-Fri-17-Jun

I went the route with a on/ off switch in line between the power supply and the LED.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby FourthDr » 2016-Jun-Tue-16-Jun

Hi Bill:

What did you do to your Printrbot simple metal? Looks like you cut a big chunk out of the Y arm?

FourthDr

Postby lairdb » 2016-Jun-Tue-17-Jun

At a guess, he removed the conventional Z probe mount to allow the arm low enough for the E3D hot end. I've been wondering if that was necessary....

Simple Metal Kit, heated bed
Mods: blower fan with self-remixed blower duct
Usually PLA on kapton with AquaNet.
Usually Cura.
lairdb
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jun-Wed-17-Jun

I did modify the Y-Arm. I simply wanted to have more thread on the Z-Probe. This way I can use two 17mm wrenches to tighten the Z-Probe nuts. The E3D-V6 hotend was the reasoning behind all the mods to the Y-Arm. Since I had to move everything in relation to the hotend.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby pellhall » 2017-Mar-Sat-14-Mar

I printed a fan shroud in clear PLA, then inserted a couple pieces of LED strip inside wired to the fan wires. The translucent shroud spreads the light around near the nozzle without shadows, and it looks clean without extra brackets or wires.
Easiest as requested, but using the fan wire only lights the LED's when it's cooling, and if the fan is controlled at a low speed the lights may go out. Next time I'll run a seperate wire to them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pellhall

Return to Mod talk