PB SM cheaper heted bed alternative?

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby theprintr » 2017-Nov-Sat-17-Nov

Does anybody know of, or have any ideas about upgrading my printrbot simple metal to have a heated bed? $125 is a bit much to pay for the official printrbot heated bed, so i am looking for a cheaper alternative, prefereably one that uses something like the reprap heatbeds that are all over ebay. Any help/ideas are appreciated.

theprintr
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PB SM cheaper heted bed alternative?

Postby IB3D » 2017-Nov-Sat-20-Nov

You know you're also getting the xtra 4" X axis upgrade for that price ? Am currently using this bed and appreciate the xtra build plate available. Previously had the Matrix Precision expanded build plate and just could not get the same quality of print, right or wrong I think my printer struggled with the xtra mass the bed created. Still have the printrbot 6X6 heated bed around here, if you're interested, I can dig it out and see if we can agree on a price.

IB3D
Waiting for extruder temp...

Re: PB SM cheaper heted bed alternative?

Postby ktfergus » 2017-Nov-Sun-11-Nov

In this thread I outlined the process I went thru making my own heated bed using a battery pad heater for cars. No wiring, soldering, or new power supply needed. I have a similar set up on each of my printers & have been been printing PETG, TPU, PLA happily for 2+ years. With some printed spacers you could probably keep the stock bed & do something similar for less than $50.

-Kelly

PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: DIY Heated Bed, with 305mm Extended X Axis
PrintrBot Model: 1403 (Simple Metal Assembled) :: 305mm x200mm DIY heated bed
PrintrBot Model: 1505 (Play) :: 100mm x 250mm DIY heated bed
Latest Project: Flux Capacitor
ktfergus
Waiting for printbed temp...

Return to Mod talk