Printrboard F6 LCD support? (simple metal with heated bed)

Talk about modifications to the printer

Postby teknogeek1300 » 2017-Oct-Mon-03-Oct

Using 0.6 flashed hex(official). I've soldered the headers on, used a few general guides, but no results with a 4bit LCD(super cheapy).

Basically trying to confirm if 0.6 hex support LCD. I'm interested in monitoring with the LCD, not necessarily controlling. Temps, and times to completion essentially.

teknogeek1300
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrboard F6 LCD support? (simple metal with heated be

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Oct-Mon-05-Oct

PrintrBot pretty much gave up on supporting the LCD's. The Printrboard just doesn't have enough storage, i.e. it's half of the normal boards being used today. I designed a custom QT app that I run on my workstations to control/monitor the printer status. OctoPrint is controlling the printer. Interestingly enough I also have the same interface (touchscreen) running on my OctoPrint Pi so I can control it at the machine when necessary, i.e. loading/unloading filament.

In this screenshot you can see the two panes that control/display the printer. Normally I drag the video feed over the control panel until just the status bar of the control panel shows so it doesn't use as much screen space.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby teknogeek1300 » 2017-Oct-Mon-12-Oct

Would a viable step be attempting to modify a Marlin firmware down to a suitable size for just displaying print percentage and estimated time?

Other than that, I have been reading a lot about rasberi pi's? Are they essentially using them as computers to control the system?

teknogeek1300

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Oct-Mon-15-Oct

teknogeek1300 wrote:Would a viable step be attempting to modify a Marlin firmware down to a suitable size for just displaying print percentage and estimated time?

Other than that, I have been reading a lot about rasberi pi's? Are they essentially using them as computers to control the system?

With respect to modifying the firmware, it's not a matter of how much you want to display, it's a matter of how much storage the drivers require once they get compiled into the firmware.

Yes, the Pi is attached to the printer, it would also be attached to your network either through wired ethernet or wifi (pi3 has builtin wifi). If you also have a RapiCam attached to the Pi you can watch the printer. OctoPrint has a web interface as well as an optional interface for tablets for example. I keep a tablet by my bed that I periodically check on those long prints when I'm in bed. There is a prepackaged OctoPrint distro that would make it pretty easy to setup.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby teknogeek1300 » 2017-Oct-Wed-16-Oct

cbxbiker61 wrote:
teknogeek1300 wrote:Would a viable step be attempting to modify a Marlin firmware down to a suitable size for just displaying print percentage and estimated time?

With respect to modifying the firmware, it's not a matter of how much you want to display, it's a matter of how much storage the drivers require once they get compiled into the firmware.

Yes, the Pi is attached to the printer, it would also be attached to your network either through wired ethernet or wifi (pi3 has builtin wifi). If you also have a RapiCam attached to the Pi you can watch the printer. OctoPrint has a web interface as well as an optional interface for tablets for example. I keep a tablet by my bed that I periodically check on those long prints when I'm in bed. There is a prepackaged OctoPrint distro that would make it pretty easy to setup.

I'm assuming that means the Pi controls the printer via USB? Not the EXT ports?

One other question, if the printer is on, I then insert a micro SD card, is there a "reset" capability to trip that will initiate the SD card read without powering the printer off completely?

teknogeek1300

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Oct-Wed-17-Oct

teknogeek1300 wrote:One other question, if the printer is on, I then insert a micro SD card, is there a "reset" capability to trip that will initiate the SD card read without powering the printer off completely?

Well I guess there would be one option, the reset button on the PrintrBoard, but that's not conveniently located, you'd have to lift the front of the printer for each reset.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby frankv » 2017-Oct-Wed-18-Oct

Yes, a RPi (Running OctoPrint/OctoPi) connects via USB to a printer and presents the user with a web-based GUI. You upload gcode or stl files to the RPi, then tell it to print them.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Oct-Fri-15-Oct

cbxbiker61 wrote:PrintrBot pretty much gave up on supporting the LCD's. The Printrboard just doesn't have enough storage, i.e. it's half of the normal boards being used today.

When did 128k quit being enough for Marlin?

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Oct-Fri-18-Oct

Mooselake wrote:When did 128k quit being enough for Marlin?

I think what you meant to say was when did 128k quit being enough for Marlin with graphics support.

Definately by the time it hit 1.1.x, but I'm pretty sure it was earlier than that.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Oct-Mon-14-Oct

From poking through the recent github issues turning off arc support might create enough space to make it work. Slic3r had experimental arc support for a while (which worked pretty well for me at the time), but it hasn't worked for years. I don't think Cura ever had it. Don't know about S3D, Craftware, or the kissy slicer but suspect they're arcless also.

I'm a big arc fan, but from what I read some time ago Marlin turned arcs into greater than stepsize straight lines instead of <ducks> doing them properly at the highest possible resolution.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Mod talk