[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - KISSlicer Windows Tutorial

KISSlicer Windows Tutorial

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Mar-Fri-02-Mar

Here is a brief windows tutorial to get KISSlicer 1.0.9.7 working with the Printrbot (i'll keep updating with info and findings).

At a minimum you must go to the G-Code tab in the settings and revise the firmware type to "5D-Absolute E" and change to .gcode under file extension.

kiss7.JPG

kiss1.JPG

kiss2.JPG

kiss3.JPG

kiss4.JPG

kiss5.JPG

Note: no need to set the mm/rev since we are using absolute E firmware type - Thanks retireeJay
kiss6.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: KISSlicer Windows Tutorial

Postby artem » 2013-Mar-Fri-08-Mar

This is very helpful! Thank you! I wish I saw this yesterday when I was fiddling with Kisslicer for the first time...

artem
Waiting for extruder temp...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Mar-Fri-09-Mar

Shouldn't the Extrusion Width be a little more than the nozzle size? You don't want to extrude a perfect cylinder; you want to squash it at least a little for good adhesion, and to create a solid structure.

Kisslicer knows how much volume of plastic it is pulling into the extruder because it knows the filament diameter and the length of filament it's extruding. It doesn't matter how big the nozzle is; when you specify a layer height and an extrusion width, then you have specified a particular volume of plastic per mm of linear travel along the track. That same volume could be pushed through a nozzle of any diameter. But of course you can't really make the extruded width be less than the width of your nozzle!

On the other hand, I agree that Infill should be equal to your nozzle diameter. The KISSlicer Quick Start guide says as much.

In looking at the G-Code, I have confirmed that the value you specify for Extruder mm/rev doesn't make any difference on a Printrbot machine. The G-code specifies millimeters of filament to be extruded, just like Slic3r does - and this then depends on your M92 Exx code in your G-code header (or your value burned into EEPROM)

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Mar-Fri-10-Mar

I just discovered one more tweak. If you specify different extruder temperatures for your first layer and succeeding layers, then the default behavior of KISSlicer is to print the first layer and then to wait for the extruder temperature to change before printing the upper layers. You might not want this behavior: the extruder head just comes to a full stop sitting on the first layer of your model and waits for several seconds while the temperature changes.

It's the difference between an M104 command (new extruder setpoint) and an M109 command (new extruder setpoint and wait for the temperature to be reached).

This is behavior is not directly modified by a KISSlicer UserInterface setting, but it is controlled by a line in the _printers.ini file, which is found in the same directory as the KISSlicer executable.

If you change the line
M104_M109=1
to
M104_M109=0
then KISSlicer will use M104 instead of M109

BUT CAUTION: it will do this at the beginning of your print also. In other words, if you tell KISSlicer to use M104 it will do it all the time. In that case, you must manually warm up the extruder to your desired first-layer temperature BEFORE you start to run the print.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

Thanks jay for the tips, post is edited. Also I set my first layer at the same temp as my standard print, it's just easier that way.

UBIS 13

GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

You still show the extrusion width equal to the nozzle diameter. I think the Extrusion Width needs to be larger so that you get some squishing of the thread. It's a different way of thinking than Slic3r, which apparently assumed a thread equal to your nozzle width, and calculated the Extrusion Width based on that volume of material and your layer height. The KISSlicer lets you directly control the Extrusion Width and it calculates how much material to use. But for Infill, I agree to use Extrusion Width equal to nozzle size.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

Hmm, I'll need to play around with it, what you are saying makes sense but if you hover over the extrusion width tooltip with your mouse it says "Width of the extruded path (nozzle dia. is a good initial value). I did have some slight layer separation issue with one of my parts printed with it at the nozzle diameter, so I'm going to try bumping it up 10% and see how that goes. I will update thread once I see results. Again thanks for the help and tips.

UBIS 13

GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby plexus » 2013-Mar-Fri-15-Mar

Im printing with extrusion width equal to nozzle diameter and so far so good. im getting good prints. i suppose this could be tweeked but one i at a time. i want to get used to the way KISSlicer works and then i will do more tweeking. but, it works with them equal on my printer.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby drawcut » 2013-Mar-Fri-21-Mar

Very helpful. Thank you for posting this. Tack worthy?

Printrbot original. Major mods: Y axis extended to ~8", Z extended to ~8.5". 5mm SS Z threaded rods w/ flex couplings. E3D hotend. Purchased Acetel gears. Glass bed with Elmers' purple glue stick for most prints. Top of Z axis rods have added cross structure similar to a Prusia i3.
drawcut
ACME leadscrew

Postby RetireeJay » 2013-Mar-Fri-22-Mar

Yes, tack it to the top of the Software Usage forum and/or put it into the Wiki.
I hope PB HQ starts thinking about Repetier Host and KISSlicer as recommended software; IMHO they are better than Pronterface and Slic3r.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby jdb257 » 2013-May-Wed-22-May

bump from the dead...

I have been using Slic3r for a while now and after downloading KISSlicer I followed this thread for my first few prints. The issue I am having is that the Pronterface estimated print times are exponentially greater than on Slic3r. I have small prints that previously would run just over a minute on Slic3r estimated to be 26 minutes on KISSlicer. I have the default speeds and set the Printer Slider on the UI to 'Fast'. This is common with every .stl file i have sliced.

I'm not sure exactly what it could be but maybe someone else had experienced this issue and has a quick fix for me as I'm hoping its just a hidden setting that I have overlooked.

Thanks!

jdb257
Loading filament...

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-May-Thu-11-May

So your speeds are set the same in slic3r as they are in Kisslicer and it ends up be 26 times slower? You have the slider all the way to the left (fast)? Same infill? Possibly the round infill is substantially more time consuming than the rectilinear infill in slic3r but I doubt it's that much. Do your actual print times match the expected print times, I've honestly never paid attention to that.

UBIS 13

GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby jdb257 » 2013-May-Thu-18-May

the print time has in fact been much less than the projected, should have given it a chance first. It is a little slower than slic3r though...I will just have to sacrifice print time for quality.

jdb257
Loading filament...

Postby mdfast1 » 2013-May-Fri-12-May

That's pretty much what I expected the outcome of this to be. How did your print turn out with Kiss vs Slic3r?

UBIS 13

GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Return to Software usage talk