PrintrBot Jr. Repetier settings

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby LuKs » 2016-Dec-Tue-14-Dec

Hi all,

I purchased a PrintrBot Jr. in 2012, and after a few years using my CNC and my Solidoodle 4, I would like to try to play with it again, but I can't find the appropriate Repeatier Host settings. I tried the Simple ones, but it's like the Z axis doesn't goes up, so after a bunch of layers the nozzle is clogging...

LuKs
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: PrintrBot Jr. Repetier settings

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Tue-15-Dec

What slicer are you using? Are you using the slicer from within Repetier, or are you running the slicer separately? Are you using an up to date version of Repetier and slicing software?
Personally, I run Slic3r independently of Repetier and then load the G-code into Repetier Host for sending to the printer; I feel that I have better control this way.

There's really nothing inside Repetier Host itself (the User Interface) that would mess up the movement of your printer on the Z axis. But if you are using Slic3r or the Cura Engine from within Repetier, you need to look at their settings. Click the "Configuration" button
-> In Slic3r, I'm talking about the "Printer Settings" - "Custom G-Code" - "Start G-Code";
-> In Cura, look at "Start/End G-Code" - "Start G-Code".
If your "Start G-Code" has any lines that start with M92, then your slicer is trying to reset the calibration of steps per mm for your printer. Eliminate those lines, or at least comment them out by inserting a semicolon at the beginning of the line. After you fix up the configuration data, be sure to save it with a file name you can remember. And then be sure that you select that file in Repetier before slicing!

Then, having cleaned up the Start G-Code, power up your printer from the off state, and without trying to do a print or anything else, send the printer an M503 command. In Repetier, you do that by using the "Manual Control" tab, typing into the box labeled "G-Code," and clicking "Send" (don't try to use RETURN instead of "Send"). Paste the resulting several lines from the log file (at the bottom of the Repetier screen) here. This tells us what's in your printer's EEPROM and will give us a clue as to what to do next.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby LuKs » 2016-Dec-Wed-05-Dec

Hi RetireeJay, Thank you for your quick and detailed answer!

I'm using Repetier Host 1.0.2 for Mac which comes with Slic3r v1.2.9. I do not use external slicer software. I looked into the dialog boxes located in the Custom G-code panel, but they are all blanks, including the "Start G-code" one.

I did what you asked me to do, here are what I got :

< 10:48:32: echo:PowerUp
< 10:48:32: Brown out Reset
< 10:48:32: Marlin: 1.0.0 RC2
< 10:48:32: echo: Last Updated: 9-22-12 | Author: Brook
< 10:48:32: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mendel EXTRUDER_COUNT:1
< 10:48:53: echo:Steps per unit:
< 10:48:53: echo: M92 X63.36 Y63.36 Z2272.72 E640.00
< 10:48:53: echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
< 10:48:53: echo: M203 X60.00 Y60.00 Z2.00 E14.00
< 10:48:53: echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
< 10:48:53: echo: M201 X2000 Y2000 Z30 E10000
< 10:48:53: echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
< 10:48:53: echo: M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
< 10:48:53: echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum xY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s)
< 10:48:53: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
< 10:48:53: echo:PID settings:
< 10:48:53: echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00

LuKs

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Wed-08-Dec

Hmm... other than the fact that your firmware is old (but the same age as your printer - duh -) I don't see any smoking guns on the software / firmware front.

What happens when you use "manual" controls in Repetier to move the Z axis up and down? Does it move reliably and repeatably? On a 'bot that's been sitting for 4 years, it's very likely that you need to lubricate all the smooth rods and the threaded rod(s). Or there may be parts that have come loose or jammed up in some way.

GT2 belts & pulleys
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby LuKs » 2016-Dec-Wed-12-Dec

I did a long checkup and lubricate it just before starting to reuse it. I can move the Z axis freely though manual controls, and it seems to did the correct stroke (when I ask it to lift up to 10mm, it actually did it correctly). But when I start a print, the Z axis is just making a quart of turn per layer (0.3mm) which seems to be largely not enough (when a print should be 3mm tall it's like only 0.5mm high)...

LuKs

Postby LuKs » 2016-Dec-Wed-12-Dec

In fact it's like the Z axis is going down instead of going up while printing!

LuKs

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Wed-13-Dec

Layer heights of 0.2 to 0.3mm are typical when using a 0.4mm nozzle (which is probably what came standard on your printer).

In manual control, if you ask the Z axis to go up, then it should move up, away from the bed and the Z position readout on the User Interface should change to a higher (more positive) number. When you first turn on the printer, if you haven't "homed" the Z axis, then the position shown in Repetier starts out at zero, but it's in red meaning it's not been set to true coordinates. You can move up from there and back down to "zero" but no lower. Then if you click the "home" icon for Z, then the nozzle should move down very close to the bed, back up a bit, and then move down more slowly, stopping about 0.1mm above the bed (the thickness of a sheet of paper). After "homing" then the Repetier readout should be zero. You can then move up from there. If the Z axis motion is opposite to what I've described, you can reverse the "sense" of the motion by unplugging the Z motor cable from the board and plugging it back in with the orientation of the plug reversed end-for-end.

GT2 belts & pulleys
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Software usage talk