USB device ID with firmware compiled from source

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby thnikk » 2016-Oct-Thu-02-Oct

Hi guys!

I posted in this thread a while ago about editing the firmware to cool the hotend fan: http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10508

To briefly summarize, I have both a Simple and a Play and they are both using a UBIS 13S. I'm using the same firmware for both of them, which didn't need any additional printer-specific configuration because the settings are stored in the EEPROM. They've both been printing fine without any issue, but I'm using them both on the same Raspberry Pi running Repetier Server.

My issue is that with the stock firmware there's a specific USB ID for both, labeling the printers as a Play and a Simple, but with the firmware compiled from source they're both labeled the same thing. Before, I could have both printers configured in Repetier Server using the USB ID rather than the port which seems to change somewhat randomly. It works as it is, but sometimes I'll go to preheat the hotend on my Play and the ports have changed on my Pi and the hotend of the Simple heats up instead. Here's an image of what's showing up on Repetier Server. If I try to use the usb-Teensyduino it just switches between the two since they have the same ID. Before it would show something like Printrbot_Play and Printrbot_Simple.

ss+(2016-10-20+at+12.09.02).png

Does anyone know if there's a way to set the device ID?

Edit: Now that I think about it, could it be the bootloader? Is there a printer specific bootloader that printrbot is using along with the firmware?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thnikk
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: USB device ID with firmware compiled from source

Postby thnikk » 2016-Dec-Sun-04-Dec

Okay, I actually found the solution while working on a completely different project. I ended up unplugging the simple for a while because the ports kept switching between reboots and it was driving me crazy. What I wanted to change was the manufacturer and product name, which is contained in "hardware\at90usb1286\cores\usb_serial\usb_private.h".

ss+(2016-12-18+at+01.46.22).png

You can see I was a little lazy and only did it for one of them, but all that matters is that they're different. It's pretty annoying that you have to edit the board files to get this to work, but it's a seperate install of the Arduino IDE for me anyway since it'll only compile with ver 0022.

I hope this can help the one other person on earth who would ever have the problem of wanting to run two printrbots on a rasperry pi after editing their firmware.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thnikk

Postby olendorf » 2016-Dec-Sun-08-Dec

That is useful info however I can't seem to find that in Marlin. Where exactly is "hardware\at90usb1286\cores\usb_serial\usb_private.h" ?

olendorf
Levelling print bed...

Postby thnikk » 2016-Dec-Tue-07-Dec

olendorf wrote:That is useful info however I can't seem to find that in Marlin. Where exactly is "hardware\at90usb1286\cores\usb_serial\usb_private.h" ?

It's not a part of Marlin, it's in the Arduino IDE files. It might be different if you're using a newer version or different board, but it should be in your installation directory.

thnikk

Return to Software usage talk