Printer not opening serial port

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby bbrown64 » 2016-Jul-Sat-17-Jul

My Simple Metal, was working just fine this morning. I finished a print, then turned off the printer. Several hours later. I decided to print another project. Turned the printer on as always. Loaded the part. Pressed the USB icon inside of Cura, then pressed the connect button. Cura attempts to open the serial port. But the connection is never made. I then unplugged the USB cable at the printer thinking it needed to be reengaged. That did not help. The green light is on, my computer Device and Printer see's the printer. The printer is on COM3. I tried the Auto detect, that did not help. I do not know what to do next as far as troubleshooting and fixing the problem. Any words of wisdom would be helpful.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printer not opening serial port

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Jul-Sat-22-Jul

The fact that the printer shows up in the Devices and Printers list is a very good sign. It might help to reboot the computer. On a Windows computer, it might help to re-run the Teensy serial install program. It might help to type in COM3 instead of using auto-detect in Cura.

If none of those help (and maybe you've already tried them) we can dig a little deeper. It's possible to check the COM port outside of Cura to make sure it's OK - for example by running Repetier, or (to ONLY check the COM port functionality) running PUTTY (a simple terminal emulator). If the COM port is OK and you can see the printer with other programs, then maybe re-install Cura, or at least the configuration file for Cura.

RJ

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Return to Software usage talk