Printer profile for Simple Metal in Octoprint?

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby ChinookTx » 2016-Apr-Sat-07-Apr

Hi all!

Is there a printer profile somewhere that I can use for Octoprint with the Simple Metal? I'm having issues mapping some of the values from Cura to Octoprint.

Thanks!

---
PrintrBot Simple Metal
E3Dv6 Hotend @0.4mm
Upgraded to heated bed + XY extension from Matrix Precision
ChinookTx
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printer profile for Simple Metal in Octoprint?

Postby cacb » 2016-May-Tue-08-May

ChinookTx wrote:Hi all!

Is there a printer profile somewhere that I can use for Octoprint with the Simple Metal? I'm having issues mapping some of the values from Cura to Octoprint.

Thanks!

Presumably, you do slicing from Octoprint? I am using Octoprint with G-code and then there is no need for a profile.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby ChinookTx » 2016-May-Tue-10-May

cacb wrote:
Presumably, you do slicing from Octoprint? I am using Octoprint with G-code and then there is no need for a profile.

Yes, I was doing the slicing from Octoprint. I guess I could just do it on my laptop and transfer the gcode...

---
PrintrBot Simple Metal
E3Dv6 Hotend @0.4mm
ChinookTx
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2016-May-Tue-15-May

ChinookTx wrote:Yes, I was doing the slicing from Octoprint. I guess I could just do it on my laptop and transfer the gcode...

If you are running OctoPrint on a Raspberry PI, I think it makes sense to just use it for controlling the printer and transfer G-code. Although the newer RPIs are somewhat faster than my original Model B, a laptop/desktop will be better suited (in my opinion) for slicing.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby ChinookTx » 2016-May-Tue-16-May

I'm really surprised how fast the Pi 3 slices with OctoPrint. I'll play with Slic3r over the weekend and experiment! Thanks for the reply.

---
PrintrBot Simple Metal
E3Dv6 Hotend @0.4mm
ChinookTx
Loading filament...

Postby Corey Warren » 2016-May-Sat-23-May

I have setup several profiles for slicing directly through Octoprint, the speed is fine. Basically, you just set all the settings you want in Cura and save the profile. The problem I had was getting that file over the Raspberry Pi. I think I plugged a monitor, mouse and keyboard into the pi and brought up the GUI to get to my email or Onedrive files in order to get the profile file saved to the pi. I then imported it into Octoprint.

I hardly use it, however. I very often need to rotate or move the object to a different position on the print bed. You can't do that when importing a .stl file into Octoprint. It's going to place the object right in the center of the print bed and you can't move, scale or rotate the object at all. And, I prefer Slic3r anyway so I do my slicing elsewhere and import the gcode, also.

Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...

Postby sgibbers17 » 2016-May-Sun-11-May

The main problem I have with octopi doing the slicing is everytime I need to make a setting change you have to use a pc and have cura save a new profile. If could change the print setting on the octopi I would use it again. Right now I find it much easier to save the gcode to the octopi.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

sgibbers17
Levelling print bed...

Return to Software usage talk