[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - How are you smart guys editing .stl files?

How are you smart guys editing .stl files?

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby Corey Warren » 2016-Feb-Tue-20-Feb

I see people all over Thingiverse making design changes to other's .stl files. I've never been able to do this. I use Autodesk Inventor to do make my creations. I did install some addin a while back to Inventor to assist with the import of .stl files, but, it was very difficult to deal with. Everytime I end up starting over from scratch and recreating what others have already created in order to add or remove.

How do you guys edit .stl files? What software do you use for that?

Corey Warren
Waiting for printbed temp...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: How are you smart guys editing .stl files?

Postby sgibbers17 » 2016-Feb-Tue-21-Feb

Sketchup with these extentions.

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/cleanup³
https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/cont ... -inspector²

cleanup³ will cleanup all the extra lines in the stl and solid inspector² will make sure the stl has now holes and will "hold water"

Last edited by sgibbers17 on 2016-Feb-Wed-08-Feb, edited 1 time in total.
sgibbers17
Levelling print bed...

Postby frankv » 2016-Feb-Wed-04-Feb

I don't think that's quite what he was asking. I think he's after importing an STL file to a CAD app so that it can be modified to create a new object.

I've done this once or twice, without having a good way to do it.

I import the STL into FreeCAD and use that to convert the mesh to a shape to a solid. Then export it as a STEP file and load that into OnShape.com. However, typically I end up "tracing" the STL shapes to make new sketches and extruding a new object. I'm also dabbling with Meshmixer and Meshlab. There's also some CAD conversion utilities, but they don't seem to be very successful either (limited set of source & destination formats, and the few that do have IGES or STEP output often refuse to work on most STL files.

I look forward to replies by smarter guys than me.

frankv
First blob a success!

Postby WayTooManyHobbies » 2016-Feb-Wed-06-Feb

I don't know about qualifying for smart, but you can open STLs in OpenSCAD and edit them as solid objects directly. Fair warning, there is a learning curve involved. http://www.openscad.org

WayTooManyHobbies
Levelling print bed...

Postby sgibbers17 » 2016-Feb-Wed-08-Feb

sgibbers17
Levelling print bed...

Postby cacb » 2016-Feb-Wed-12-Feb

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Feb-Wed-15-Feb

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2016-Feb-Wed-16-Feb

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Return to Software usage talk