Simplify 3D thoughts?

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Simplify 3D thoughts?

Postby Armatus » 2015-Sep-Tue-23-Sep

I know there have been a few threads about S3D but they're all pretty old at this point and I figured rather then resurrecting one it made more sense to start a new one. Is anyone currently using S3D? What are your thoughts on the program? Is it easy to change perimeters of the machine (for heated beds and upgraded build platforms) like in Repeiter? I've been using both Cura and Slic3r for my simple metal, Cura almost always gives me issues and doesn't produce a consistent finish and Slic3r is generally difficult to configure for quicker, decent quality printing in my experience. I also think the UI looks much nicer then Slic3r or Repeiter. Do the pre-configured settings work well? Are there different settings for different filaments?

Printrbot Simple Metal Rev-F5
XYZ Matrix Precision upgrade
LCD display
Heated bed
Ubis 13 extruder
Support legs
Armatus
Levelling print bed...

Simplify 3D thoughts?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simplify 3D thoughts?

Postby mdfast1 » 2015-Sep-Wed-00-Sep

Just bought it today, we shall see how it compares. I will post a few pics once I get settings sorted out.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-07-Sep

There's also Craft Unique's Craftware. It was OK, but not all that great, when I looked at it a year or so back.

Even then it had some unique features (like the triangle infill), and they've been putting out steady releases since. The TIko (another megabuck KS printer, whatever happened with them? ) people like it, and it's free...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2015-Sep-Wed-07-Sep

It's unfortunate that s3d doesn't offer a trial period to kick the tires before dropping a wad of cash....

I get pretty good finishes from cura, if you choose not to pay for s3d we might be able to help you tweak your profile to get better results.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Sep-Wed-11-Sep

I get perfectly acceptable prints using only Cura. I have never needed to use Slic3r. I have done some research and played around with Matter Control. It looks as if it has many of the same features as Slic3r. I have no proof of this idea I have about Cura-Slic3r thing. I think that when combining two software programs to complete your part. The printer firmware gets confused. Then the print suffers. That is why I use ONLY Cura. If I have to slice a part to make it fit on the surface, or make it easier to print, I slice the parts with Meshmixer.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Sep-Wed-11-Sep

Starting from an STL file, the actual steps required are these:
1. If necessary, clean up the STL file, re-orient, cut it into pieces, etc. The product is still STL.
2. Slice the STL to generate a G-code file (which may be a temporary file, or it could be given a unique name & location)
3. Using some kind of Human Interface, connect to the printer.
4. Again using the Human Interface, tell it to send the generated G-code file to the printer.

There are several programs which, to a greater or lesser extent, combine two or more of these steps into a single User Interface. But behind the scenes, those are the actual steps being performed.

Repetier (steps 2 - 4) can call upon either Slic3r or the "Cura Engine" to do the slicing. You set up the slicing controls by using the native Slic3r or Cura screens, and then select your customized controls from the Repetier screen.

Matter Control (steps 2 - 4) calls upon Slic3r to do the slicing - and it shows you all the Slic3r controls within its own window if you want it to.

Cura (the full User Interface version) also performs steps 2 - 4.

The "Cura Engine" - the part that generates G-code - and Slic3r both give you some control (but not much) over step 1.

If running Repetier, you can call Slic3r separately from Repetier and have more visibility of your control; just load the resulting G-code instead of the STL into Repetier. That's my work method.

There's also Octoprint, which gives you a browser-based Human Interface. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if you load the G-code into the Raspberry Pi, or whether the G-code has to be loaded into an SD card.

There's also the optional LCD screen, which lets you print G-code from an SD card.

I've never tried Simplify 3D, so I don't know what it does and doesn't do.

Theoretically, you could slice using Slic3r and then print from the Cura User Interface; doing so would not "confuse" the printer at all, since it only sees G-code.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-12-Sep

bbrown64 wrote:I think that when combining two software programs to complete your part. The printer firmware gets confused. Then the print suffers. That is why I use ONLY Cura.

If you're combining Cura and slic3r (or for that matter any two slicing programs) then you're either doing a whole lot of gcode cut and paste, or a lot of screwing around telling slic3r (never done this in Cura) to only slice parts of the model, then manually combining the resulting files or doing separate print sessions.

The firmware resident on the Printrboard neither knows or cares what slicing program your using, or if you're avoiding them and are taking the extreme hard core option of hand coding your gcode. As long as you conform to the modified subset of RS-274X that Marlin uses it doesn't matter where it comes from, and the firmware will not have confusion problems. You might, and since gcode moves from the current position to a new one have some wild moves if your combination process loses track of the devices current position and starts with a move that includes the extruder, but that's actually pretty simple to avoid. If you're switching between prints done with Cura, and prints done with slic3r (or any other multi-slicer combination) then there's no issues at all unless you've really hosed up the startup gcode in one of the slicers.

With the current state of 3D printer slicing software they all have individual strengths and weaknesses, and limiting yourself to only one of the available slicers is really limiting just what you can do with your printer. Probably no need to rush out and buy something these days, since there's quite a collection of free products (I'll qualify that as you should send a contribution to whatever open source project you find valuable; I've contributed to a number of them, all those developers need to eat...) that do a decent job.

bbrown64 wrote:If I have to slice a part to make it fit on the surface, or make it easier to print, I slice the parts with Meshmixer.

Meshmixer is a very handy model manipulation program, but it didn't slice the last time I used it, nor do they mention slicing in the documentation or version release notes.

Slicing, as used in the 3D printer community, refers to taking a file that describes a 3D representation of a part (often an stl file, but it doesn't have to be), and turns it into commands ("gcode", the G comes from Gerber) that instruct a 3D printer how to move and extrude plastic to make that part. While there is no need to constrain that process into individual layers (slices) since our 3D printers are capable of moving 3 dimensionally it's become the convention to use them in that manner (one that I find disappointing, but that's another show). You can think of that slicing as similar to the process you use to turn 3D cucumbers into thin slices before turning them into delicious pickles. Meshmixer is on the cucumber production side. Don't carry that analogy too far, not sure where the spices and vinegar fit in, and I've become a real fan of pickling lime (it's mooseville canning season...).

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Wed-16-Sep

RetireeJay wrote:There's also Octoprint, which gives you a browser-based Human Interface. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if you load the G-code into the Raspberry Pi, or whether the G-code has to be loaded into an SD card.

You can do either one with Octoprint. It also incorporates CuraEngine so it can do steps 2 - 4.

Astroprint is an Octoprint derivative (though completely re-skinned and with modified logic under the hood) which can also do steps 2 - 4.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby cacb » 2015-Sep-Thu-10-Sep

PxT wrote:
RetireeJay wrote:There's also Octoprint, which gives you a browser-based Human Interface. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if you load the G-code into the Raspberry Pi, or whether the G-code has to be loaded into an SD card.

You can do either one with Octoprint. It also incorporates CuraEngine so it can do steps 2 - 4.

Astroprint is an Octoprint derivative (though completely re-skinned and with modified logic under the hood) which can also do steps 2 - 4.

It is optional whether to include a slicer (CuraEngine) in OctoPrint. I am using an older Raspberry PI Model B (single Arm6 processor) to serve my printer, and I think it doesn't make sense to run slicing on it. For the newer PI2 with dual Arm7 processors, it may be ok performance wise, but I have not tried. I find it convenient to do slicing on a PC and simply drag/drop the G-code file to OctoPrint using the web browser, FireFox in my case. OctoPrint keeps all files you have transferred to the PI SD card (not to be confused with any printer SD card) and presents them in a list in the web GUI for actual printing. It is convenient if you want to print the same part several times. If you don't want to keep a file in the list, there is an option to delete selected files.

I have never inserted an SD card into the printer SD card slot, so using OctoPrint clearly does not require it.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

Getting back on topic, I would be interested in learning more about Simplify 3D as well. What about posting the gcode output for a particular model so we can check it out?
That would at least give people a chance to evaluate how it compares to their current slicer.

3D benchy is a good choice. Set the software to default settings as much as possible. 0.4mm nozzle size (most common for Printrbot). What do you think?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Sep-Thu-20-Sep

PxT wrote:Getting back on topic, I would be interested in learning more about Simplify 3D as well. What about posting the gcode output for a particular model so we can check it out?
That would at least give people a chance to evaluate how it compares to their current slicer.

3D benchy is a good choice. Set the software to default settings as much as possible. 0.4mm nozzle size (most common for Printrbot). What do you think?

Not quite as default as possible, but this is one i used to make benchy on mine at .254. I also have a .1 layer height, but that's 4x the size

https://www.dropbox.com/s/11a5sbu6d0mvf ... gcode?dl=0

*edit* I think I printed that one on the Metal plus, so it probably won't be centered if you try printing it on something with a different travel area.

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby mdfast1 » 2015-Sep-Sat-23-Sep

Having Ubis 13 fan problems on my simple metal otherwise I would send some GCODE from Simplify....oh joys of jamming hotends.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Sep-Sun-04-Sep

Simplify3D 3DBenchy G-Code

Personally love Simplify3D

Printed With Fillamentum PLA Extrafill Rapunzel Silver > http://www.spannerhands.co.uk/fillamentum-pla-175mm-rapunzel-silver-253-p.asp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N1p ... U5RSGwzXzg

Disclaimer use at your own risk...
Printed on a Printrbot Simple Metal (1403) with Headed Bed
Temp 190 Bed 55

Mods to my Printer
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:740810
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:746423

Everything for your 3D & Filament Needs.
3D Printing Filaments PLA, ABS, Wood, Transparent, Flexable and Technical Materials.
www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Sep-Sun-08-Sep

I'm looking at using Simplify 3D, and was wondering how much you change your processes for different models you print? Do you change a lot or just layer height?

Also SpannerHands, Did you purchase your Simplify 3D direct or from a UK seller? and the fan mod you have any chance you could make something for the Printrbot Metal Plus :-).

Thanks,

J.

3D Printing Reviews - Blogger - Twitter @3D_PrintReviews - Facebook.com/3DPrintReviews
j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Sep-Sun-08-Sep

j.fordham83 wrote:I'm looking at using Simplify 3D, and was wondering how much you change your processes for different models you print? Do you change a lot or just layer height?

Also SpannerHands, Did you purchase your Simplify 3D direct or from a UK seller? and the fan mod you have any chance you could make something for the Printrbot Metal Plus :-).

Thanks,

J.

I bought it from the simplify3d website directly...

The best features of simplify3D is the support options, the ability to remove unwanted support is awesome.

I do tend to set different profiles for different areas of a print, depending on what is it, for example you can add solid layers for extra strength or if you have a mount point you can set very thick walls just on that area, mixing infill amounts throughout the print also helps with speed and more so on large prints...

When I finally get my hands on one I will...

3D Printing Filaments PLA, ABS, Wood, Transparent, Flexable and Technical Materials.
www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Sep-Sun-09-Sep

Right I've bit the bullet and purchased Simplify 3D :-).

Any tips for a noob to the software? Using a Printrbot Metal Plus with dual Exruders and heated bed.

Thanks,

James.

3D Printing Reviews - Blogger - Twitter @3D_PrintReviews - Facebook.com/3DPrintReviews
j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Sep-Sun-09-Sep

j.fordham83 wrote:Right I've bit the bullet and purchased Simplify 3D :-).

Any tips for a noob to the software? Using a Printrbot Metal Plus with dual Exruders and heated bed.

Thanks,

James.

Good Man...

I would have a look at the simplify3d forums, they updated the support for the simple plus, so you should be good to go with the standard settings...

And if your feeling like doing duel colour printing enjoy the Ooze shield settings in additions tab in advanced options...

www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Mon-16-Sep

SpannerHands wrote:Printed With Fillamentum PLA Extrafill Rapunzel Silver > http://www.spannerhands.co.uk/fillamentum-pla-175mm-rapunzel-silver-253-p.asp

I don't know if it is the slicer, the filament, or the photography (probably all 3!) but that is a nice looking print.

PxT
Print complete...

Postby coastline » 2015-Oct-Tue-13-Oct

Not had a huge amount of time but my tests so far are pretty positive with Spannerhands 3dBenchy gcode from Simplify3d.

I'm a noob so take my comments with that in mind. My testing is far from scientific and my bot is far from perfectly calibrated.

However.... I'm getting Nice prints!

The only problem I'm having is the 0.179 first layer is not giving me great bed adhesion. I'm getting slight edge curling on the door overhangs which is catching on the nozzle and dislodging the print.

I normally print with a larger 1st layer height.

I'm going to ask SPANNERHANDS very nicely if he could re-slice the 3D Benchy just with a larger .3 or .35 first layer? I'd like to try it with different sample filament (Black is not the best of tests) but I'll only get one shot to get a good print as my samples are only 5m lengths. :?:

Here's a few pics from the 2 prints that managed to stay stuck.

Excuse the photography - not in Spannerhands league :-)

As you can see from the rear of the boat the "3d Benchy" name is clearly there. My Slic3r print is just a raised area you can't see the text at all. Sorry no pics of the Slic3r prints yet.

So in summary so far Simplfy3D vs Slic3r 1.17 (and a quick test of 1.29):

1. Tool Path seems better. With one exception see point 3.
2. Surface Quality much better. With one exception point 4.
3. I noticed that when printing the four door pillars that S3D doubles back on itself. ie it will print pillar 1 through 4 on one layer then print 4 through 1 the next layer. So pillar 4 has two consecutive layers printed. This doesn't help with cooling those top overhangs.
4. First layer seems to be selected layer height (0.1984) squished to 90% (0.17856), and 100% width ie 0.4. Slic3r (at least mine) is set to a larger layer height (.35) and 200% width. I definitely get better adhesion with these first layer Slic3r settings however I think I could duplicate this behaviour in S3D by using 2 processes.
5. Fine detail (3D Benchy name on back of boat) - much better.
6. Seams appear a bit ragged.

I tried to set Slic3r to the same settings where possible ie 3 perimeters, 3 top and bottom solid, same speeds.

I'm a relative noob so It's more than possible that changes to Slic3r settings could get me closer but considering this is someone else's Gcode and not by any stretch optimised for my setup I'm pretty impressed with S3D!

Am I $149 worth of impressed? maybe! Watch this space.

coastline
Loading filament...

Postby plexus » 2015-Oct-Tue-14-Oct

where can I get the STL for the boat? I will slice it with Kisslicer and print and see how it goes.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby PxT » 2015-Oct-Tue-15-Oct

PxT
Print complete...

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Oct-Tue-16-Oct

Hi coastline

Love the print, looks amazing!

I print on kapton tape using Elmer's Disappearing Purple, after 100's of tests this is what I ended up using, only issue is most of the time you cant get the bloody thing off without a fight...
http://www.spannerhands.co.uk/elmers-disappearing-purple-glue-6g-021-oz-sticks-for-ultimate-bed-adhesion-339-p.asp

Nothing compares to this method trust me, 100% of my prints stick to the build plate, you can even print supports without a raft with this method...

First layer calibration is critical, thing is allot of my printing work I do I use the first layer as a finished surface so need it perfect, hence the low first layer...

But good job sir, very impressed... love your printer!

With regards to samples, remember you could of had 5 free samples of the same colour giving you 25m as they are all cut to size when ordered, however; give us a shout if you run out and get stuck and I will send you some more...

www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Oct-Tue-16-Oct

plexus wrote:where can I get the STL for the boat? I will slice it with Kisslicer and print and see how it goes.

It is an interesting test, which Kisslicer version are you using?
I have been using 1.4.5.10 (sep 2, 2014), but it is getting old.
I just downloaded 1.5 Beta 2.22 Win64 (Jun 24, 2015) from dropbox, is that the recommended one these days?

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Oct-Tue-17-Oct

coastline wrote:
1. Tool Path seems better. With one exception see point 3.
2. Surface Quality much better. With one exception point 4.
3. I noticed that when printing the four door pillars that S3D doubles back on itself. ie it will print pillar 1 through 4 on one layer then print 4 through 1 the next layer. So pillar 4 has two consecutive layers printed. This doesn't help with cooling those top overhangs.
4. First layer seems to be selected layer height (0.1984) squished to 90% (0.17856), and 100% width ie 0.4. Slic3r (at least mine) is set to a larger layer height (.35) and 200% width. I definitely get better adhesion with these first layer Slic3r settings however I think I could duplicate this behaviour in S3D by using 2 processes.

Awesome print Coastline! Nice table too! ;)

The parameters you are mentioning are controllable in s3d. It doubles back on itself to shorten print time. This is "optimizing".

You can also control the first layer height within s3d as well without opting for a second process. Not too sure about controlling the first layer's width, but that might be in there too. You can pick the general extrusion width, which when set to auto on a .4 nozzle, seems to push out for .48mm, you can manually adjust this value though.

Overall, I haven't gone back to another slicer since changing to s3d. I'm pretty happy with it's capabilities, and as with most others, great quality prints come with a little tweaking.

The ONLY thing I dont really like about s3d is their "auto center and arrange"... their tessellation isn't efficient. It won't rotate the parts for best fit. Kind of annoying, but rarely do I really need to pack the bed super tight.

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby coastline » 2015-Oct-Thu-12-Oct

Sorry for the slow response - work is severely getting in the way of the interesting stuff!

SpannerHands wrote:First layer calibration is critical, thing is allot of my printing work I do I use the first layer as a finished surface so need it perfect, hence the low first layer....

Mmmm, so .... I recalibrated my probe and first layer, and..........

you guessed it, It stayed stuck! :D :D :D :D :D :
as did this one:

Sky blue Fillamentum (it really is Sky blue even though my lack of photography skills might suggest otherwise):

I absolutely love the Fillamentum Rapunzel Silver:

So a big thanks to Spannerhands. I think I have taken a big step to better prints this last week. I now know what my bot can produce under the right conditions.

With regard to Simplify3D well the proof for me is in the prints.

I am certain that I have not got slic3r anywhere near perfectly set up. But after looking at the settings used in Spannerhands 3DBenchy gcode I can't see any setting magic alone that would account for the quality improvement. There is no filament optimisation for one. The fillament size is set to 1.75 dead and the filaments I have used have been 1.73, 1.71, 1.72 averages. Also no extrusion multiplier has been used in the S3D code that I can see. I find with Slic3r even when I calibrate my extruder and enter accurate filament measurements I still need to have an extrusion multiplier of .95 in order not to over extrude.

My earlier S3D issues of bed adhesion and ragged seams appear to be poor Z calibration on my part, and filament temp differences (the black I used should probably have been run cooler).

I'm not experienced enough to be a good judge of slic3rs abilities but at first glance S3D appears to warrant further investigation.

It would be great if we could get some forum members with well calibrated bots who use Slic3r to post some 3DBenchy pics for comparison - as I'm not sure it's fair on Slic3r to use my inexperience as a yardstick. I've seen Plexus offering a Kisslicer comparison so that will be great as well.

Come on people save me $150 :D

coastline
Loading filament...

Postby coastline » 2015-Oct-Thu-13-Oct

Mach-Chris wrote:
coastline wrote:Awesome print Coastline! Nice table too! ;)

Thanks Chris.

I have the XYZ upgrade (8"x8"x10") from a great company called Matrix-Precision http://www.matrix-precision.com/collections/all. Maybe you've heard of them?

Seriously though the upgrade is super quality and a breeze for even a noob like me to install. Sorry I haven't posted to the matrix upgrade thread yet but I just didn't think my print quality (until now) would do your upgrade the justice it deserves.

But maybe I might be on the way to rectifying that! ;)

How about an 7.3"x7.3"x6.9" Benchy :twisted: I think I'd still have room for a 10" tall lighthouse and maybe a shark too :twisted:

coastline
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

Most of your images look better than mine, but I thought I would share it anyway :)
This one was sliced with KISSlicer 1.5 beta 2.22 and printed on my Simple Metal.

DSCN4753_2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cacb
Support material...

Postby usagi » 2016-Jan-Sun-21-Jan

been printing about a year with repetier and slic3r on my printrbot simple metal. thought i had my settings pretty dialed in, and most of my prints come out pretty good.

bought simplify3d to see how it did, and was amazed. out of the box settings were way better than my carefully tuned, carefully calibrated settings i had spent a year on. s3d easily smoked slic3r on every aspect of every model i printed. surfaces are better, details are better, dimensional accuracy of holes and gaps is better, just about everything is better. the ability to manually add and remove support material is awesome. slicing is orders of magnitude faster. managing printer profiles is way nicer.

so far, i'm sold.

usagi
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Jan-Sun-23-Jan

@usagi, can you post some pictures showing the difference?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2016-Jan-Mon-03-Jan

usagi wrote:been printing about a year with repetier and slic3r on my printrbot simple metal. thought i had my settings pretty dialed in, and most of my prints come out pretty good.

bought simplify3d to see how it did, and was amazed. out of the box settings were way better than my carefully tuned, carefully calibrated settings i had spent a year on. s3d easily smoked slic3r on every aspect of every model i printed. surfaces are better, details are better, dimensional accuracy of holes and gaps is better, just about everything is better. the ability to manually add and remove support material is awesome. slicing is orders of magnitude faster. managing printer profiles is way nicer.

so far, i'm sold.

My feelings about simplify3d are mixed, there is no doubt its a brilliant slicer, and technical its either the best available or close to that. But it has a bunch of UI foibles that really let it down.

1. Virtualy no right click context menues, both on the 3d view or on the lists, everything is done with a "select" and then push some action button or menu. Virtualy every other 3d view maniplulatiin tool i have used allows you to select an object in the view and use the rightclick to get a list of things you can do to it. It makes the interface feel really "old and klunky". It drove me nuts for weeks after getting it at first and made getting comfortable with the package a slow and painfull process.

2. Printer, filement and processs are all mixed up in the fff file, which is overly complex. I would like to split at least the filament sections out, and have them in seperate files, also this is 2016, do we really need to be hunting through filesystems to find things, cant we have all the fff and filament settings etc in a repository, or database.

3. There is a great mechanism in the fff system which allows you to apply different settings to different layers of your model, and even different settings per object. But its hidden away and explained so badly that i suspect only a tiny fractiin if the users know how to use it, or even that it is there. Documentation is not a strong point. Without an understanding of that, there is no obvious reason why you can have multiple fff files, and as such that part of the interface does not seem to make sense.

But the quality is great, and it seems to be reliable.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby festaman » 2016-Feb-Tue-16-Feb

SpannerHands wrote:Simplify3D 3DBenchy G-Code

Personally love Simplify3D

Printed With Fillamentum PLA Extrafill Rapunzel Silver > http://www.spannerhands.co.uk/fillamentum-pla-175mm-rapunzel-silver-253-p.asp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N1p ... U5RSGwzXzg

Disclaimer use at your own risk...
Printed on a Printrbot Simple Metal (1403) with Headed Bed
Temp 190 Bed 55

Mods to my Printer
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:740810
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:746423

Any way to share some of your S3D profiles/settings. Also have you made any changes to max print speed or the default acceleration?

Thanks!

festaman
Waiting to connect to printer...

Return to Software usage talk