[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4695: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4696: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4697: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Printrbot Talk Forum • View topic - Simplify 3D thoughts?

Simplify 3D thoughts?

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Simplify 3D thoughts?

Postby Armatus » 2015-Sep-Tue-23-Sep

I know there have been a few threads about S3D but they're all pretty old at this point and I figured rather then resurrecting one it made more sense to start a new one. Is anyone currently using S3D? What are your thoughts on the program? Is it easy to change perimeters of the machine (for heated beds and upgraded build platforms) like in Repeiter? I've been using both Cura and Slic3r for my simple metal, Cura almost always gives me issues and doesn't produce a consistent finish and Slic3r is generally difficult to configure for quicker, decent quality printing in my experience. I also think the UI looks much nicer then Slic3r or Repeiter. Do the pre-configured settings work well? Are there different settings for different filaments?

Printrbot Simple Metal Rev-F5
XYZ Matrix Precision upgrade
LCD display
Heated bed
Ubis 13 extruder
Support legs
Armatus
Levelling print bed...

Simplify 3D thoughts?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Simplify 3D thoughts?

Postby mdfast1 » 2015-Sep-Wed-00-Sep

Just bought it today, we shall see how it compares. I will post a few pics once I get settings sorted out.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-07-Sep

There's also Craft Unique's . It was OK, but not all that great, when I looked at it a year or so back.

Even then it had some unique features (like the triangle infill), and they've been putting out steady releases since. The TIko (another megabuck KS printer, whatever happened with them? ) people like it, and it's free...

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2015-Sep-Wed-07-Sep

It's unfortunate that s3d doesn't offer a trial period to kick the tires before dropping a wad of cash....

I get pretty good finishes from cura, if you choose not to pay for s3d we might be able to help you tweak your profile to get better results.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby bbrown64 » 2015-Sep-Wed-11-Sep

I get perfectly acceptable prints using only Cura. I have never needed to use Slic3r. I have done some research and played around with Matter Control. It looks as if it has many of the same features as Slic3r. I have no proof of this idea I have about Cura-Slic3r thing. I think that when combining two software programs to complete your part. The printer firmware gets confused. Then the print suffers. That is why I use ONLY Cura. If I have to slice a part to make it fit on the surface, or make it easier to print, I slice the parts with Meshmixer.

Bill Brown
Tulsa, OK
bbrown64
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Sep-Wed-11-Sep

Starting from an STL file, the actual steps required are these:
1. If necessary, clean up the STL file, re-orient, cut it into pieces, etc. The product is still STL.
2. Slice the STL to generate a G-code file (which may be a temporary file, or it could be given a unique name & location)
3. Using some kind of Human Interface, connect to the printer.
4. Again using the Human Interface, tell it to send the generated G-code file to the printer.

There are several programs which, to a greater or lesser extent, combine two or more of these steps into a single User Interface. But behind the scenes, those are the actual steps being performed.

Repetier (steps 2 - 4) can call upon either Slic3r or the "Cura Engine" to do the slicing. You set up the slicing controls by using the native Slic3r or Cura screens, and then select your customized controls from the Repetier screen.

Matter Control (steps 2 - 4) calls upon Slic3r to do the slicing - and it shows you all the Slic3r controls within its own window if you want it to.

Cura (the full User Interface version) also performs steps 2 - 4.

The "Cura Engine" - the part that generates G-code - and Slic3r both give you some control (but not much) over step 1.

If running Repetier, you can call Slic3r separately from Repetier and have more visibility of your control; just load the resulting G-code instead of the STL into Repetier. That's my work method.

There's also Octoprint, which gives you a browser-based Human Interface. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if you load the G-code into the Raspberry Pi, or whether the G-code has to be loaded into an SD card.

There's also the optional LCD screen, which lets you print G-code from an SD card.

I've never tried Simplify 3D, so I don't know what it does and doesn't do.

Theoretically, you could slice using Slic3r and then print from the Cura User Interface; doing so would not "confuse" the printer at all, since it only sees G-code.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Sep-Wed-12-Sep

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Creality Ender 3 Pro 12/2019
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Wed-16-Sep

PxT
Print complete...

Postby cacb » 2015-Sep-Thu-10-Sep

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Thu-19-Sep

Getting back on topic, I would be interested in learning more about Simplify 3D as well. What about posting the gcode output for a particular model so we can check it out?
That would at least give people a chance to evaluate how it compares to their current slicer.

is a good choice. Set the software to default settings as much as possible. 0.4mm nozzle size (most common for Printrbot). What do you think?

PxT
Print complete...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Sep-Thu-20-Sep

Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby mdfast1 » 2015-Sep-Sat-23-Sep

Having Ubis 13 fan problems on my simple metal otherwise I would send some GCODE from Simplify....oh joys of jamming hotends.

Printrbot Simple Metal - RED -
UBIS 13

Printrbot LC+ - Operational

Printrbot Original- Donated
GT2 - 20 Tooth Pulleys
GT2 Belts
Brass Threaded Rods
Spur Gears from drawcut
.35mm nozzle
mdfast1
Layer 650 of 1234

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Sep-Sun-04-Sep

Simplify3D 3DBenchy G-Code

Personally love Simplify3D

Printed With Fillamentum PLA Extrafill Rapunzel Silver >

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0N1p ... U5RSGwzXzg

Disclaimer use at your own risk...
Printed on a Printrbot Simple Metal (1403) with Headed Bed
Temp 190 Bed 55

Mods to my Printer
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:740810
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:746423

Everything for your 3D & Filament Needs.
3D Printing Filaments PLA, ABS, Wood, Transparent, Flexable and Technical Materials.
www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Sep-Sun-08-Sep

I'm looking at using Simplify 3D, and was wondering how much you change your processes for different models you print? Do you change a lot or just layer height?

Also SpannerHands, Did you purchase your Simplify 3D direct or from a UK seller? and the fan mod you have any chance you could make something for the Printrbot Metal Plus :-).

Thanks,

J.

3D Printing Reviews - - Twitter @3D_PrintReviews - Facebook.com/3DPrintReviews
j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Sep-Sun-08-Sep

3D Printing Filaments PLA, ABS, Wood, Transparent, Flexable and Technical Materials.
www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby j.fordham83 » 2015-Sep-Sun-09-Sep

Right I've bit the bullet and purchased Simplify 3D :-).

Any tips for a noob to the software? Using a Printrbot Metal Plus with dual Exruders and heated bed.

Thanks,

James.

3D Printing Reviews - - Twitter @3D_PrintReviews - Facebook.com/3DPrintReviews
j.fordham83
Levelling print bed...

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Sep-Sun-09-Sep

www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby PxT » 2015-Sep-Mon-16-Sep

PxT
Print complete...

Postby coastline » 2015-Oct-Tue-13-Oct

Not had a huge amount of time but my tests so far are pretty positive with Spannerhands 3dBenchy gcode from Simplify3d.

I'm a noob so take my comments with that in mind. My testing is far from scientific and my bot is far from perfectly calibrated.

However.... I'm getting Nice prints!

The only problem I'm having is the 0.179 first layer is not giving me great bed adhesion. I'm getting slight edge curling on the door overhangs which is catching on the nozzle and dislodging the print.

I normally print with a larger 1st layer height.

I'm going to ask SPANNERHANDS very nicely if he could re-slice the 3D Benchy just with a larger .3 or .35 first layer? I'd like to try it with different sample filament (Black is not the best of tests) but I'll only get one shot to get a good print as my samples are only 5m lengths. :?:

Here's a few pics from the 2 prints that managed to stay stuck.

Excuse the photography - not in Spannerhands league :-)

As you can see from the rear of the boat the "3d Benchy" name is clearly there. My Slic3r print is just a raised area you can't see the text at all. Sorry no pics of the Slic3r prints yet.

So in summary so far Simplfy3D vs Slic3r 1.17 (and a quick test of 1.29):

1. Tool Path seems better. With one exception see point 3.
2. Surface Quality much better. With one exception point 4.
3. I noticed that when printing the four door pillars that S3D doubles back on itself. ie it will print pillar 1 through 4 on one layer then print 4 through 1 the next layer. So pillar 4 has two consecutive layers printed. This doesn't help with cooling those top overhangs.
4. First layer seems to be selected layer height (0.1984) squished to 90% (0.17856), and 100% width ie 0.4. Slic3r (at least mine) is set to a larger layer height (.35) and 200% width. I definitely get better adhesion with these first layer Slic3r settings however I think I could duplicate this behaviour in S3D by using 2 processes.
5. Fine detail (3D Benchy name on back of boat) - much better.
6. Seams appear a bit ragged.

I tried to set Slic3r to the same settings where possible ie 3 perimeters, 3 top and bottom solid, same speeds.

I'm a relative noob so It's more than possible that changes to Slic3r settings could get me closer but considering this is someone else's Gcode and not by any stretch optimised for my setup I'm pretty impressed with S3D!

Am I $149 worth of impressed? maybe! Watch this space.

coastline
Levelling print bed...

Postby plexus » 2015-Oct-Tue-14-Oct

where can I get the STL for the boat? I will slice it with Kisslicer and print and see how it goes.

plexus
Site Admin

Postby PxT » 2015-Oct-Tue-15-Oct

PxT
Print complete...

Postby SpannerHands » 2015-Oct-Tue-16-Oct

Hi coastline

Love the print, looks amazing!

I print on kapton tape using Elmer's Disappearing Purple, after 100's of tests this is what I ended up using, only issue is most of the time you cant get the bloody thing off without a fight...

Nothing compares to this method trust me, 100% of my prints stick to the build plate, you can even print supports without a raft with this method...

First layer calibration is critical, thing is allot of my printing work I do I use the first layer as a finished surface so need it perfect, hence the low first layer...

But good job sir, very impressed... love your printer!

With regards to samples, remember you could of had 5 free samples of the same colour giving you 25m as they are all cut to size when ordered, however; give us a shout if you run out and get stuck and I will send you some more...

www.spannerhands.co.uk
SpannerHands
Loading filament...

Postby cacb » 2015-Oct-Tue-16-Oct

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Oct-Tue-17-Oct

Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Postby coastline » 2015-Oct-Thu-12-Oct

coastline
Levelling print bed...

Postby coastline » 2015-Oct-Thu-13-Oct

coastline
Levelling print bed...

Postby cacb » 2015-Oct-Thu-14-Oct

Most of your images look better than mine, but I thought I would share it anyway :)
This one was sliced with KISSlicer 1.5 beta 2.22 and printed on my Simple Metal.

DSCN4753_2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cacb
Support material...

Postby usagi » 2016-Jan-Sun-21-Jan

been printing about a year with repetier and slic3r on my printrbot simple metal. thought i had my settings pretty dialed in, and most of my prints come out pretty good.

bought simplify3d to see how it did, and was amazed. out of the box settings were way better than my carefully tuned, carefully calibrated settings i had spent a year on. s3d easily smoked slic3r on every aspect of every model i printed. surfaces are better, details are better, dimensional accuracy of holes and gaps is better, just about everything is better. the ability to manually add and remove support material is awesome. slicing is orders of magnitude faster. managing printer profiles is way nicer.

so far, i'm sold.

usagi
Loading filament...

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Jan-Sun-23-Jan

@usagi, can you post some pictures showing the difference?

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3, upgraded to MK3S
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2016-Jan-Mon-03-Jan

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer