Repetier -Printer Shape settings for Metal Plus

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby ThriDee » 2015-Sep-Fri-01-Sep

This is mildly bewildering as i post this.I had a Printrbot Plus (Kickstarter edition) which I sold since I was in the middle of college.I finished college :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and got myself a Printrbot Metal Plus.(Printrbot fan for life!) :P :P :P
I turned on my well trusted Repetier Host and connected the assembled metal plus and tweaked some settings like Z-compensation,Print speeds,.Result: It prints awesome! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But it's still configured as per the Printrbot plus sizing.
Can any of you Metal Plus owners provide a screenshot of the Printer Shape tab under Printer Settings.

Also my when I hit the combined XYZ home on the Manual Control of Repetier the X and Y home correctly but for homing Z the extruder moves to the center of the bed.
Any fix for this in Repetier ?

ThriDee
Loading filament...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Repetier -Printer Shape settings for Metal Plus

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Sep-Fri-09-Sep

From what I've seen in the forum, if you have the Autoleveling Probe, then you do NOT do the combined XYZ Home.
You could individually hit the X and Y "home" buttons, or you could use the command line to enter
G28 X0 Y0
Then for Z (assuming you do want to use the "Autoleveling", you use
G29
Then, after issuing the G29 and watching it do the 3-point probing, I think you have to issue another
G28 X0 Y0 to get the X and Y coordinates correctly zeroed.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2015-Sep-Fri-15-Sep

RetireeJay wrote:Then, after issuing the G29 and watching it do the 3-point probing, I think you have to issue another

I was about to say this isn't correct, but now I want to test it. I have been using this prefix-code via KISSlicer, and I am not using the G28 after G29:

Code: Select all
M140 S<BED> ; set bed temp and return immediately
G21            ;metric values
G90            ;absolute positioning
M82            ;set extruder to absolute mode
M107          ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0  ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0       ;move Z to min endstops
G29            ;Run the auto bed leveling
G1 Z+10.0  ; Lift hotend 10 mm
M104 S<TEMP>; set hot end temperature and return
M190 S<BED> ; wait for bed temp

The test will be to check if it makes any difference to issue another G28 X0 Y0 after G29.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Sep-Fri-19-Sep

cacb wrote:
RetireeJay wrote:Then, after issuing the G29 and watching it do the 3-point probing, I think you have to issue another

I was about to say this isn't correct, but now I want to test it. I have been using this prefix-code via KISSlicer, and I am not using the G28 after G29:

Code: Select all
M140 S<BED> ; set bed temp and return immediately
G21            ;metric values
G90            ;absolute positioning
M82            ;set extruder to absolute mode
M107          ;start with the fan off
G28 X0 Y0  ;move X/Y to min endstops
G28 Z0       ;move Z to min endstops
G29            ;Run the auto bed leveling
G1 Z+10.0  ; Lift hotend 10 mm
M104 S<TEMP>; set hot end temperature and return
M190 S<BED> ; wait for bed temp

The test will be to check if it makes any difference to issue another G28 X0 Y0 after G29.

If you issue a g28 after a g29 it will wipe the z height map. Your sequence above is correct

The correct sequence is

G28
G29

Or

G28 x0 y0
G28 z0
G29

That is it...

Not

G28 x0 y0
G29

The sequence above will introduce random inaccuraccies in the z position depending on where the position of the z axis was when the sequence started. Without the explicit or implicit g28 z0 command the z axis is not be initialised prior to leveling starting, so the current z height is rolled up into the heights probed to calculate the correction map. Remember that avr's use fixed "half" precision 16bit floating point, which is only accurate for really small numbers and becomes inaccurate rapidly as the numbers exceed 1.0. If your probe has to probe down by 50mm to get to the bed then the whole calculation is essentialy "offset" by that amount. Initalising z to the center of the bed first, means that the leveling probe heights are relative to that zero point, and the offset numbers are kept small, and more importantly consistent. The slopes calculated with the head startimg at 25mm and 50mm WILL be different based on the loss of fp accuracy. So you MUST initialise z first before a G29 operation. This one factor alone is probaly responsable for most of the inconsistancy of results on autoleveling.

If you want to actualy get the head back to the "home" position then issue

G1 X0 Y0 Z0

People misunderstand what homing is about sometimes, its not about moving the printhead to a particular position, its about setting the physical and internal position of the nozzle to the same place, and that place does not have to be 0,0,0, it does nit matter one bit where the printhead ends up after the homeing and leveling sequence as long as the internal and physical positions are aligned.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby RetireeJay » 2015-Sep-Fri-21-Sep

@thawkins, you are deep into the Marlin code, so you know what you're talking about.

But I do think I've seen in other threads where people did G28 - G29 and ended up with the printer's XY "home" offset. They had to do a G28 X0 Y0 after the G29. So you are saying that any form of a G28, even if it doesn't include Z, still throws away the bed leveling? I'm not doubting your in-depth expertise, but I'm trying to reconcile what I've seen in other people's experience.

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
"My next printer is..." Prusa i3 MK3
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby cacb » 2015-Sep-Fri-21-Sep

thawkins wrote:If you issue a g28 after a g29 it will wipe the z height map. Your sequence above is correct

Thank you for that clarification. That was my hunch, my sequence above has been working just fine. Great explanation on z initialisation and precision too.

thawkins wrote:If you want to actualy get the head back to the "home" position then issue

G1 X0 Y0 Z0

Understand, I don't see any need to do that. In my sequence, I just lift the print head 10mm over the last G29 probe point and let it wait there until the bed and hot end has reached the required temperatures. That is also a good time/place for removing any oozing from the hot end, just before the critical first layer print begins.

thawkins wrote:People misunderstand what homing is about sometimes, its not about moving the printhead to a particular position, its about setting the physical and internal position of the nozzle to the same place, and that place does not have to be 0,0,0, it does nit matter one bit where the printhead ends up after the homeing and leveling sequence as long as the internal and physical positions are aligned.

That is an important distinction. I can see that it is easy to mix up these things, the meaning of some of the G-code commands can be confusing.

Printrbot Simple Metal Kit + heated bed upgrade. KISSlicer (Kubuntu/Win7), OctoPrint (wireless Raspberry Pi model B) - http://arnholm.org/
cacb
Support material...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Sep-Sat-00-Sep

RetireeJay wrote:@thawkins, you are deep into the Marlin code, so you know what you're talking about.

But I do think I've seen in other threads where people did G28 - G29 and ended up with the printer's XY "home" offset. They had to do a G28 X0 Y0 after the G29. So you are saying that any form of a G28, even if it doesn't include Z, still throws away the bed leveling? I'm not doubting your in-depth expertise, but I'm trying to reconcile what I've seen in other people's experience.

Its not well defined, I have seen at least one version in the last 6 months that did reset the height map even without z0 in the operations list. So i would assume it is not behavior you can rely on. The developers expectations was there would be an idiomatic use where G29 always followed G28, and sometimes that unintentionally happens. I might add that in 1.05 the latest version has a huge rewrite of the whole G28, G29 code, and they are still not happy with it, and may be doing more major surgery.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby ThriDee » 2015-Sep-Sat-01-Sep

Thank you RetireeJay and thawkins.I can't believe RetireeJay was the first to answer my first question on Printrbot Plus and the is the first to answer here as well !
I added this as the start G-code
G28 X0 Y0 Z0
G92 E0
G29

And This as the End code
M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G91 ;relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure
G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{travel_speed} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way

Still need a screenshot of the Printerbot Metal Plus Printer Shape settings for Repetier (v 1.6) so i can make the best of the large print bed.
Anyone ?

Also what are the major upgrades (vis-a-vis Printrbot models) that went into Repetier in the last one year?
Should I upgrade to the last free version or should I not ?

ThriDee
Loading filament...

Return to Software usage talk