Printrboard Revision D with Play Firmware?

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby humblehacker » 2015-Aug-Tue-10-Aug

Hello,
I somewhat impulsively pulled the trigger on a "Maker to Play Upgrade" recently, and figured I might as well go through with it... However, since I've been using the Printrboard Rev.D it would really be unfortunate if I had to pay another $90 for another glorified Mega2560 (Printrboard Rev F.) I know the major difference between the revisions involved the voltage on the bed level sensor, but I was lucky enough to get one of the Sensor Adapter Boards before they ran out of stock so my level sensor has been working fine. Does anybody know if the Printrbot Play firmware will work on the Printrboard Rev D? Has anybody tried it? I also have a RAMPS 1.4 board as a backup and I know people have used them with the Simple but what about the Play? I'll really be kicking myself if I have to dump another $100 into an "upgrade path"...

humblehacker
Waiting to connect to printer...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mach-Chris » 2015-Aug-Tue-14-Aug

I don't think there's any real reason for you to need to even update the firmware in the first place is there? You can adjust most of the relevant settings in the EEPROM, the rest should behave the same on the play as it did the makers kit. It has been awhile since I had the makers kit, so I might be forgetting about something. But the rev F play firmware I don't think will work on a rev D anyways. Rev D had little pots for tuning motor current. While the rev F is digital. So I believe that would cause a conflict.

Visit Matrix Online!
Follow us on Twitter! @MatrixPrecision
Mach-Chris
Support material...

Re: Printrboard Revision D with Play Firmware?

Postby humblehacker » 2015-Aug-Wed-08-Aug

Mach-Chris wrote:I don't think there's any real reason for you to need to even update the firmware in the first place is there? You can adjust most of the relevant settings in the EEPROM, the rest should behave the same on the play as it did the makers kit. It has been awhile since I had the makers kit, so I might be forgetting about something. But the rev F play firmware I don't think will work on a rev D anyways. Rev D had little pots for tuning motor current. While the rev F is digital. So I believe that would cause a conflict.

In that case, which settings would be relevant to change in the EEPROM?

humblehacker
Waiting to connect to printer...

Re: Printrboard Revision D with Play Firmware?

Postby wasabi_peas » 2015-Aug-Wed-14-Aug

If you were using that Rev D on an older model with no auto-level probe that homed at Y-min, you'll need to update firmware. The appropriate version would be https://github.com/Printrbot/Marlin/releases/download/metal-simple_bedlevel_v1/Marlin_Metal_Simple_bedlevel-pb.hex

If you had a 1405 with z-probe that homed at Y-max (or a Simple Metal?) and it was working for you, the same firmware should work for the Play.

Rev F firmware will NOT work properly on a rev D board -- as several connections were reassigned to other pins on the micro.

Specific EEPROM values to change depend on what you are changing from, but may include build dimensions (M211), probe offset (M212), and steps/mm (M92). See https://printrbot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202714930-Default-Build-Dimensions-and-Sensor-Offset and https://printrbot.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202227454-Default-Steps-Per-Millimeter

wasabi_peas
Levelling print bed...

Return to Software usage talk