Printrboard support in mainstream marlin.

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Mon-12-Aug

In the last week the Mainstream Marlin repo has been split into two and a new MarlinDev repo has been created

A recent update has been checked into MarlinDev To support the use of platform.io as an alternatuve to using the Arduino IDE system.

Platformio (http://platformio.org) is a cross platform build system that supports building for multiple platforms, frameworks and processor architectures. It works out from a project environment description file, what compilers, linkers and upload tools are required to build a project and get it up to your board. It will then automaticaly download, configure and install those tools etc, to seamlessly allow you to create your own .hex file and upload it. It takes a lot of the mystery out of the process, and eliminates the need to resort to custom howtos and recipies scattered around, that may or not be relevant to the latest versions or boards.

We have added support for the at90usb1286 processor in tne printrboards and the teensy2.0++ pinout structures that the printrboard is based on. This means that we can now easily and simply rebuild the cutting edge versions oF Marlin for executiin on the printrboards.

There are a couple of things in the printrbot version of marlin that are not oresent in mainstream, m211 and m212 are not present, there are alternative m codes to support the m212 function, but at present there is nothing to support the function provided by m211. I hope to be adding that shortly.

In Marlindev we are building up a library of printer Configuration.h files, so i will try and get a set of suitable defaults together for the various PB models.

If anybody here on pbt is interested in test driving this we would welcome some testers and contributers.

@lwalkera, if you read this, it would be interesting to have somwbody reach out tio pbhq to see if we can get them onboard so that they dont have to maintain seperate forks. And we can do something about reversing the fragmentation of the Marlin aystem.

The platformio support is at very early stages, and will evolve as time goes on.

Jonbot+
225mm x 200mm - Heated Bed
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 1.1.0
Full Graphic display.
-------------------------------
Zen Toolworks CNC/3d printer
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
RAMPS 1.4 running Marlin 0.98
Flashforge 3d Creator Pro
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
Mightyboard rev e, runnimg Sailfish 7.7r1234
Photon, self designed printed printer.
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Printrboard support in mainstream marlin.

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Mon-13-Aug

Is platformio in addition to, or in place of, the current Arduino IDE?

It's been a while since I've paid attention to the development version of Marlin and Printrboards, somewhere around the time you said that (iirc, oldtimers...) the Marlin build was too big for Printrboards and that the issue was being worked on. Just to make sure, was this issue resolved?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Mon-18-Aug

Mooselake wrote:Is platformio in addition to, or in place of, the current Arduino IDE?

It's been a while since I've paid attention to the development version of Marlin and Printrboards, somewhere around the time you said that (iirc, oldtimers...) the Marlin build was too big for Printrboards and that the issue was being worked on. Just to make sure, was this issue resolved?

Kirk

Its an alternative build mechanism, which uses more conventional linking, so that binaries a bit smaller about 10%.

You dont need the Arduino IDE installed, platformio allows you to use Visual Studio, Eclipse, or dedicated ide's like cLion to maage your code.

The Aurduino ide misuses the term "libraries", what passes for a library in arduino ide world is just a bunch of source files that are included in your build. A system that has true libraies, creats a file for each libriary which is equivalent to a small database file containing all the compiled code and only inserts into the binariy output, those elements of the library that have been actualy called out from the main program. This means that more functionality can be packed into the limited space on tne printrboard.

One of the objectives of the Marlin refactoring road map is to reduce Marlin to a bunch of libraries that can be selectively linked.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby wasabi_peas » 2015-Aug-Wed-01-Aug

Thawkins, I can raise this with Brook, as lately I'm the one which has been processing the changes they have needed.

I've been using Atmel Studio for my own experimental builds that exceed the program space when built in Arduino -- but as both, to my understanding, use AVR-GCC under the hood, the only difference in compile size relates to the optimization settings given as compile/link arguments. I haven't dug into that too much as I think one useful aspect of the current setup is that people can build their own firmware.

Not trying to get into an argument about that point -- I know that some (many?) new folks have been frustrated with getting the customized Teensyduino environment setup -- but I've also helped many others who have been able to do this.

wasabi_peas
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2015-Aug-Wed-06-Aug

Does that mean the current version will compile and fit on a Printrboard with the Arduino IDE?

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby thawkins » 2015-Aug-Wed-09-Aug

Mooselake wrote:Does that mean the current version will compile and fit on a Printrboard with the Arduino IDE?

Kirk

No

A) the arduino ide does not link properly hence it tends to create ovely sized binaries.
B) the code is still too big unless some things a cut out.

The platformio setup gives us a path to produce smaller binaries, a path that the arduino ide will never be able to achieve, but we still need to option out items. There is a number of attempts to reduce code size.

The arduino ide was never designed for this kind of project, it was designed for relativly small "sketches", platformio is configured to perform more conventional embeded development.

Jonbot+
Full Graphic display.
230mmx360mm bed
Dual j-head hotends.
Dual heated beds.
Dual Extruder
220x143x150mm
thawkins
Print winner 2nd
Print winner 2nd

Postby kareem613 » 2015-Oct-Thu-23-Oct

Where's the project hosted? Hoping to be able to contribute if there's some good starter things to do. I've got a prusa i3 and a printrbot.

kareem613
Loading filament...

Return to Software usage talk