slic3r Prusa Edition

Talk about using software tools, drivers etc

slic3r Prusa Edition

Postby teicher » 2016-Dec-Fri-21-Dec

Prusa Printers just released a fork of slic3r called slic3r Prusa Edition. You can read all of the details at the URL, but the most important thing to me was the fact that all of their improvements are not specific to their printers . They just make slic3r better.

http://prusaprinters.org/introducing-slic3r-prusa-edition/

I installed an RPM of it on my Linux laptop and started messing around with it last night. I hope to test it more this weekend and see how the surface improvements mentioned in the blog look on my prints.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

slic3r Prusa Edition

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: slic3r Prusa Edition

Postby RetireeJay » 2016-Dec-Sat-17-Dec

I've downloaded this version of Slic3r and played with it a little looking at what it does on-screen. I like what I see. It's UI is very familiar, and it even picked up all the default choices that I had saved while using Slic3r 1.23. I had a part that had a problem with insufficient wall thickness on a sloping wall, and just looking at the pictures it seems that this version of Slic3r will fix the problem. (I have some CAD work to do before I actually run a print, so at the moment this is just an impression based on looking at the screen.)

Thanks, teicher, for this find!

Printrbot Plus operational January 2013
Brass threaded rods (5/16" X 18) & nuts for Z axis
GT2 belts & pulleys
Cable chain to reduce probability of fatigue failure in wires
E3D V5 Hot End, 0.4mm nozzle, also 0.8 and 0.25 in use occasionally
PB fan mount + 40mm fan -- using printed mount adapter, not the E3D supplied fan
Injection molded extruder gears
Optical Z "endstop" (custom designed and built)
Have used many pounds of T-Glase filament. Now also doing some work with Ninjaflex SemiFlex
Print on glass with Scotch Craft Stick or other glue stick
RetireeJay
My next printer is...

Postby Mooselake » 2016-Dec-Sun-17-Dec

I tried it yesterday on this; it created a (claimed by Repetier-Host) 4 hour print at half scale, using 20% cubic infill, with much lower than I expected generated feed rates. R-H said CraftWare's print time was an hour. Either one of my normal Slic3r options is way off, or there's a problem somewhere. Didn't have time to track the problem down. I've been experimenting with Meshmixer's support and reorienting the model for better printing, but the one I tried had so little contact it fell over whiel printing. This model requires support and slic3r's support was unremovable on the one I printed. I ended up accidentally cutting off a leg while trying to remove it. Prusa Slic3r (PS) fixed an Official Slic3r (OS) bug with how supports attach to a model, and the previews looked like little cones at the attachment points.

It did pick up all my options from 1.2.9, no problems there. Didn't try going back to the "official" version to see if something got lost in the switch. Needs more experimentation.

The are backporting most of the PS changes into OS, with help from the Prusa developer. However, since slic3r seems to be on a once a year release cycle it might take a long time to actually see them.

Kirk

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Postby teicher » 2016-Dec-Sun-21-Dec

I tried it out this weekend on some Christmas tree ornaments and it seemed to work well. The cubic infill is nice and I love the preview improvements. Glad you guys found it helpful, I figured RJ would like it since he's always been a slic3r user.

I don't see myself going back to regular slic3r until the Prusa edition is backported, theres no good reason for me to do so. Prusa slic3r and Lulzbot Cura are working well for me and are my slicers of choice now.

teicher
Layer 300 of 1234

Postby WayTooManyHobbies » 2016-Dec-Mon-06-Dec

I tried the Prusa version as well, with reasonable success. It's been a while since there were any updates on Slic3r at the main site, so it's certainly nice to see an update from Prusa.

WayTooManyHobbies
Levelling print bed...

Postby cbxbiker61 » 2017-Jun-Wed-23-Jun

Yes Prusa has been very busy with Slic3r. Specifically variable layer height, which is a hell of a good idea. The Prusa Edition is probably going to be the "go to" version for a while.

cbxbiker61
Levelling print bed...

Postby Mooselake » 2017-Jun-Thu-08-Jun

Except that autospeed was broken the last time I tried it, a showstopper here

Modified KickStarter Classic Plus 7/2012
KS Thingybot Delta Pro 10/31/16
Mooselake
My next printer is...

Return to Software usage talk